PDA

View Full Version : Calories per meal

EdgeCrusher
02-09-2003, 06:28 PM
I generally eat 4 meals minimum a day on the weekends (no workouts, no protein shakes on hand because im not where i keep all my stuff) and I take my EC 2 times a day. I eat fairly well, in that my first 2-3 meals are generally 400 or 500 meals a meal (and it's generally high in preotein and they don't have a bunch of sugar), but by the time my last meal rolls around (7 pm on the weekends) I eat (like today) as if I need to clean my fridge out. I'll eat about 1k calories and then I'm real full and not hungry till the next day. If I'm trying to cut, is 1k calories in a meal just plain stupid? If it is (which it sounds crappy to me), what would you suggest I do when I get hungry in the evening - which I'm guessing I'm just gonna get "don't be a wuss and get some will power," but I'm pretty sure it's not all that wise to not eat when I'm hungry.

I know I just rambled a lot, but if you can understand it, gimmie your advice.

bradley
02-10-2003, 02:47 AM
How much fat is in your diet? Adding more fat will help you stay satisfied longer. Also, why not add in more meals? Just take your total daily calories and spread them out evenly over 5-6 meals instead of 4.

Raildog
02-10-2003, 08:00 AM
Like Bradley said, spread your meals to 5 or six preferably because eating 1,000 calories in one meal your body probably won't be able to process all of them and some will actually just get stored as bodyfat,(ouch).
Breaking it up over 2 meals at 500 each will do three positive things. 1- it will keep your total meal size in a more acceptable range to process and use, 2- it will regulate your blood sugar levels, and 3- you will speed up your metabolism through the thermal effect of eating food spread over 6 meals as opposed to 4.

Raildog

Sledgehammer
02-10-2003, 08:41 AM
I eat 6 meals at 300-450 per meal.......

HANSEL
02-10-2003, 10:38 AM
I am actually eating 9-200 cal meals/snacks, Sometimes 10 if I stay up late.

MrWebb78
02-10-2003, 01:44 PM
hansel you only eat 1800 calories a day?? id be starving

HANSEL
02-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Yea, but only while cutting.

smalls
02-10-2003, 04:33 PM
It's not going to make a huge difference in the long run. Just make sure you get your calories that coincide with your goals.

HANSEL
02-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Smalls, would you go as far as to say that if you just eat all your daily calories at one big feast at dinnertime, it wouldnt make much difference?

Shankerr
02-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Spread it out equally over about 6-8 meals a day. 3 or 4 a day is just simply not going to do it!! When I cut, I'll even set an alarm for about 3am and get up for a shake or some cottage cheese to make sure there are no gaps. To cut, aim for between 1800 and 2500 kCal/day total depending on your maintenance level, and spread it relatively evenly over all meals.

HANSEL
02-11-2003, 10:21 AM
good post, I also keep some FF cheese around for the middle of the night. Eating every 2-3 hrs, no gaps is perfect, jmo. I imagine this would also help keep the Metabo up.

aka23
02-11-2003, 01:29 PM
I eat three 700 calorie meals, a 550 calore meal, a 300 calorie snack, and a couple snacks of under 100 calories if I am feeling hungry. This combination leaves me feeling full until shortly before meal time, and I almost never feel stuffed and sluggish afer a meal.

I used to eat a large 850 calorie breakfast. I split it up to a 300 calorie snack and 550 calorie meal because it left me feeling stuffed and sluggish. It also gives me a good oportunity for a morning workout.

You might want to try something similar for your 1000 calorie late night meal, or perhaps eat more in your ealier meals. If you ate less at night, you would be more hungry in the morning and likely to eat more. Eating more balanced amounts would be more likely to stabalize blood sugars and hunger.

Large meals at night may interfere with sleep, are more likely than smaller meals to be stored as fat, are more likely to cause amino acid/blood sugar fluctuations, are less likely to effect BMR in a postive way, etc. Note that the differnces are likely to be quite small. I would not expect any drastic changes.

I am surprised how little some of the people on this forum eat. I thought most posters were males who exercise on a regular basis, and have a lot of caloring burning muscle mass.

Raildog
02-12-2003, 01:07 AM
I am surprised how little some of the people on this forum eat. I thought most posters were males who exercise on a regular basis, and have a lot of caloring burning muscle mass.

I know what your saying, I was stuck at a certain bodywieght forever until I actually wrote down everything I ate and my calories were so low my body was in starvation mode. Now I eat 2850 kcal while dieting and on refeed days I eat 3400 kcal's every 4th day. And waalaah... I started losing bf again...

Raildog

HANSEL
02-12-2003, 10:55 AM
What do you weigh Raildog?

Raildog
02-12-2003, 12:06 PM
Right now I'm at 229 around 17% bf, I was 262 around 26%bf Aug.23rd 2002. I basically stopped losing bf when I hit 238 in the middle of December. I was stuck at 238 for 6 weeks. I was barely getting around 1,900 calories when I really added everything up, and it wasn't total clean food to boot.
Now I'm totally off any overly processed food, and only one cheat meal a week. My bodytype just cannot get away with more than that...

Raildog

smalls
02-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Obviously one meal isnt going to be best. But seriously the biggest problem with eating less meals is hunger pains in between and that's only when cutting. I personally eat 7-10 meals a day when bulking, but only because its easier to fit 4500 cals in that way. The metabolism issue is more dependant on total cals, not cals in each meal. I agree that more meals would be better, but one or two less meals is not going to make a difference, as long as total cals are there.