PDA

View Full Version : hard to eat

peatr99
02-10-2003, 06:05 AM
i have a problem. i am in college and lifting to get bigger and stronger. i can only afford the meal plan where i get 15 meals a week. i usually choose between breakfast and lunch then always have dinner. i know this is real bad in terms of what i should be doing. i always try to steal as much food as i can from meals to snack on through the day, like peanutbutter sandwiches, fruit, and bagels. i can goto the store once in a while to get some food but i have no fridge. is there anything i can do with this limited meal plan? or is it really bad and i won't get bigger?

WaterWalker
02-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Why not take a few extra bucks and pick up some cans of tuna and a bag of whole wheat bread. Tuna is inexpensive and a great source of protein. You're in college--just take a little something out of your beer fund!!!:D

bradley
02-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Also could pick up some oats, canned meats (chicken, tuna, salmon), canned foods like veggies and beans, along with some bread. Should help you get by between meals.

peatr99
02-12-2003, 08:32 AM
what should i do during my 2 meals though? load up or just stay light or what? i usually eat a real lot and try to grab some fruit or a sandwich or something to save for later.

bradley
02-12-2003, 01:46 PM
I would make these large meals consisting of good clean foods, or the best you can do. It all comes down mainly to cals in vs. cals out. I would go with the cafeteria for breakfast and dinner and then try and snack throughout the day. Breakfast is an important meal IMO because of the overnight fast that your body goes through each night.

aka23
02-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Eating both breakfast and lunch is important. It would be beneficial to even just have a small snack, if a full meal is not possible. I ran into similar problems in college since I ate more meals than were available. Some things I did were:

--Taking more than I planned to eat at that sitting, storing the rest in the dorm community refrigerator, then eating it as a snack or meal when food was not available.

--Making trips to the local supermarket where food was less expensive than on the meal plans

--Choosing housing options which had cooking facilities and no required meal plans during my upperclass years and grad school (underclassmen were required to live in common housing)

If you do not have a dorm community refrigerator, you can buy a mini refrigerator at Target/Walmart for under $60. There may be local stores that offer rentals to college students as well.

peatr99
02-12-2003, 09:36 PM
how does this sound:

i have a big breakfast of eggs cereal oatmeal sausage fruit orange juice milk

lunch i eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich i stole from lunch and water.

dinner, mid sized dinner, chicken or some other thing, plus veggies, orange juice milk water, salad, cookie or 2

before bed: a peanut butter sandwich i stole from dinner

tahts the best i can do for now. i'm going to start going to the store and getting canned tuna to eat.

bradley
02-13-2003, 03:04 AM
Sounds like a plan. Might try and get two pb sandwiches for lunch and dinner, and also could take into consideration buying a few of the recommended items from the store to have on hand in case you get hungary.

peatr99
02-13-2003, 09:25 AM
you mean 4 sandwiches a day? idon't know if i could handle that...
how about adding a tuna sandwich in there somewhere?

bradley
02-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by peatr99
you mean 4 sandwiches a day? idon't know if i could handle that...
how about adding a tuna sandwich in there somewhere?

Yeah a tuna sandwich would be fine a throw a little mayo on there as well. Remember you are going to have to eat consistently above your maintenance calories to gain, but tuna would be fine:)