PDA

View Full Version : Tofu?

BigBoi17
02-10-2003, 06:01 PM
I heard that this stuff is TERRIBLE to eat if you want to get big. Reason being that it has estrogen in it. Is this true or just someone's reason not to eat the stuff? tuttut

EdgeCrusher
02-10-2003, 06:26 PM
Sounds like nonsense to me. It tastes like crap if you don't know how to make it, but it's good protein if you eat it.

BigBoi17
02-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Yea...I eat quite a bit....grandma prepares it KOREAN STYLE! :) Yea, its in a LOT of soups I eat and when I heard this it kinda concerned me cuz I eat it about 1-2 times per week. And im bigger than they 2 kids that told me....:P

Shao-LiN
02-10-2003, 07:18 PM
Doesn't have estrogen in it. It has soy protein. Some people will say that soy protein will cause estrogen levels to rise and give you some real nice man boobs.

I honestly don't know.

Saint Patrick
02-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
Some people will say that soy protein will cause estrogen levels to rise and give you some real nice man boobs.

Yeah, I've heard people say that that several times too, but I have yet to see anyone offer any shred of proof or point out any one example that soy will raise your estrogen to the point that it'll make you grow boobs.

restless
02-11-2003, 01:29 AM
Though tofu is fermented soy and thus os not really that bad, there are plenty of evidence of soy's phytoestrogens decreasing testeosterone levels.

"Dietary soy-phytoestrogens decrease testosterone levels and prostate weight without altering LH, prostate 5alpha-reductase or testicular steroidogenic acute regulatory peptide levels in adult male Sprague-Dawley rats.

Weber KS, Setchell KD, Stocco DM, Lephart ED.

Neuroscience Center, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah 86402, USA.

Nutritional factors, especially phytoestrogens, have been extensively studied for their potential beneficial effects against hormone-dependent and age-related diseases. The present study describes the short-term effects of dietary phytoestrogens on regulatory behaviors (food/water intake, locomotor activity and body weight), prostate weight, prostate 5alpha-reductase enzyme activity, reproductive hormone levels, and testicular steroidogenic acute regulatory peptide (StAR) levels in adult Sprague-Dawley rats. Animals were fed either a phytoestrogen-rich diet containing approximately 600 microg/g isoflavones (as determined by HPLC) or a phytoestrogen-free diet. After 5 weeks of consuming these diets, plasma phytoestrogen levels were 35 times higher in animals fed the phytoestrogen-rich vs phytoestrogen-free diets. Body and prostate weights were significantly decreased in animals fed the phytoestrogen-rich diet vs the phytoestrogen-free fed animals; however, no significant change in prostate 5alpha-reductase enzyme activity was observed between the treatment groups. Locomotor activity levels were higher in the phytoestrogen-rich vs the phytoestrogen-free animals during the course of the treatment interval. Plasma testosterone and androstenedione levels were significantly lower in the animals fed the phytoestrogen-rich diet compared with animals fed the phytoestrogen-free diet. However, there were no significant differences in plasma LH or estradiol levels between the diet groups. Testicular StAR levels were not significantly different between the phytoestrogen-rich vs the phytoestrogen-free fed animals. These results indicated that consumption of dietary phytoestrogens resulting in very high plasma isoflavone levels over a relatively short period can significantly alter body and prostate weight and plasma androgen hormone levels without affecting gonadotropin or testicular StAR levels. The findings of this study identify the biological actions of phytoestrogens on male reproductive endocrinology and provide insights into the protective effects these estrogen mimics exert in male reproductive disorders such as benign prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer"

restless
02-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Inverse association of soy product intake with serum androgen and estrogen concentrations in Japanese men.

Nagata C, Inaba S, Kawakami N, Kakizoe T, Shimizu H.

Department of Public Health, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.

The cross-sectional relationships of soy product intake and serum testosterone, estrone, estradiol, sex hormone-binding globulin, and dihydrotestosterone were examined in 69 Japanese men. Soy product intake was estimated from a semiquantitative food frequency questionnaire. Serum estradiol concentration was significantly inversely correlated with soy product intake (r = -0.32, p = 0.009), and serum estrone concentration was nonsignificantly inversely correlated with soy product intake (r = -0.24, p = 0.05) after controlling for age, body mass index, smoking status, and ethanol intake. Total and free testosterone concentrations were inversely correlated with soy product intake after controlling for the covariates, but these correlations were of border line significance (r = -0.25, p = 0.05 and r = -0.25, p = 0.06, respectively). Similar correlations were observed for these hormones with isoflavone intake from soy products. The data suggest that soy product intake may be associated with the endogenous hormone levels in Japanese men

restless
02-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Keep in mind I'm not necessarily stating that tofu is evil, just that there is evidence around that soy does have adverse effects in men's endocrine functioning.

AJ_11
02-11-2003, 09:03 AM
There are many studies "proving" that soy is good for you(Tiare Has posted some excellent studies on this) and of course there are many studies that say the opposite. I for one don't care. I try to get as much sources of protein as possible. I am a meat eatter but sometimes soy is a good choice to mix with meals to get the extra bit of protein "for a fraction of the cost". Plus soy has some other benefits as far as anti-oxidents go. I have read ("in Muscle and Fitness") that Vegetarians that just eat soy as their major source of protein do have lower testosterone levels than that of a meat eatter. But a vegetarian diet without proper supplemention would lack a good amount of saturated fat and monosaturated fats along an incomplete amino acid profile.

But it comes to this that to much of anything is not good for you. SO eaten in moderationsouldn't cause you to grow man boobs.

Shao-LiN
02-11-2003, 10:50 AM
The studies I have seen have never labeled soy as "bad" for you in relation to your health. It seems to have many benefits when it comes to your heart.

The only negative that I have read is the "man boob" theory.