PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my diet......

Icharus
02-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I am 6,3 with 210 lb at 20%

I don t have time to eat 5 complete meals in a day so I have to rely in restaurants. This is my diet. Let me know what you think.

1) Pre-workout Cereals with skim milk: 270 cal

2) Post-workout:
SkimMilk with EAS powder: Cal 270 / prots 40

3) Pre-lunch:
Tuna sandwich: Cal 300 / prots 40

4) Lunch (rough estimate)
I watch what I eat: Call 900 / prots 40
I either eat grilled chicken or grilled calamari with rice.

5) Post-lunch:
SkimMilk and EAS powder: 270 cal / prots 40

6) Dinner (low carbs here):
I also watch what I eat: Calls 900 / prots 40
Either grilled chicken, tuna steak or pork without carbs this time.

Total cal per day 3180 cal
Total prots per day 200.

I complement my diet with 5 g of L-glutamine and 5 g of creatine per day.

I work out Tuesday, Thursday , Saturday and Sunday.

Wht do you think?????:help:

Isaac Wilkins
02-11-2003, 01:55 PM
What are your goals? At ~20% bodyfat I'd assume you're cutting? Have you been making progress?

Without knowing anything else, I'd try to work in some fiberous carbs: Raw brocolli, spinach, etc. Through in some peppers and so on. These add very few calories, but a little fiber goes a long way towards avoiding over-eating, in addition to it's progressive properties.

Icharus
02-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Thank you Boris;

Actually I am trying to bulk. 20 % seems high to me too but is what a 3 point calipers measurement says but I am not fat. Maybe the measurement is wrong.

I try to eat broccoli and I have seen some progress in my strength and size however I am worried about my diet since I cant cook and I rely on restaurants.

aka23
02-11-2003, 03:30 PM
I have several comments:
1. This diet is likely to be nutritient deficient in several important areas. I concur with Borris's recommendation to add some vegatables containing fiber, vitamin C, folate, etc. You are probably trying to avoid carbs, but nutritionally speaking fruit would be useful as well. It is best to get nutrients naturally, but a vitamin/mineral suppliment would not be harmful in a situation likel this.

2. I suspect that you are underestimating your protein intake. All the foods listed above contain protein, not just the meats and EAS powder. For example the first meal probably contains between 10 and 15g of protein. Similarly, if you did not include skim milk in the protein calcs for meals 2 and 5, then that would probably be about another 15g of protein. In meals 4 and 6, a 900 calorie tuna steak of grilled chicken is likely to have a lot more than 40g of protein. Instead, you might be overstimating calories for this meal. For example, I would expect 450 calories of grilled chicken breasts to have about 80g protein (unless there were toppings such as oils on the chicken breast).

3. When you lift weights, you burn a lot of glycogen from your muscles. Your post workout meal should have a good amount of carbs to replenish this glycogen and facilitate recovery, repair, and growth. There is somewhat of a debate of the optimal type and amount of carbs some recommend 5g/10lb body weight or 105g for a person your size. In any case, I would think about adding carbs to your post workout meal as well as a few other times during the day. If I am correct that you are underestimating your protein totals, then you should be able to subsitute some carbs while still maintaining the .94g/lb protein that your post suggests. This may go against some fad diet recommendations, but I think it is beneficial to have some carbs with every meal.

Icharus
02-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Thanks Aka;

All this info is very useful. I must say that the most complicated ting in lifting weight I have discovered to be to eating part, that is the trick.

I rely on the carbs of my skim milk for my post workout meal, do you think that is enough?

Some people say to have 1,5 g of proteins per lb but in my case this would mean 315 g of prots per day, that's almost 8 meals of 40 g per day.....that is insane, I don t think I could do it. It is hard enough to get my 200 g per day without worrying about gaining too much fat.....what are your thought on this?

The last thing is that my measurements with 3 points calipers show 20% bf which is impossible since I am not fat......is there another way to measure?

aka23
02-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Icharus
I rely on the carbs of my skim milk for my post workout meal, do you think that is enough?

Based on the calorie, protein ratios you have I am guessing you have about a cup of skim milk, which contains 12g of carbs. I do not think this is enough to replinish lost glycogen following a workout and facilitate maximum recovery, repair, and growth.

Some people say to have 1,5 g of proteins per lb but in my case this would mean 315 g of prots per day, that's almost 8 meals of 40 g per day.....that is insane, I don t think I could do it. It is hard enough to get my 200 g per day without worrying about gaining too much fat.....what are your thought on this?

From previous discussions on this board, I get the impression that my feelings on protein differ from the typical forum reader. I think 1.5g/lb is too much. The RDA for sendintary adults is .4g/lb. Research has shown that athletes and body builders need significantly more than this. Most well known nurtition and sports nutrition organizations recommend somewhere in the 0.7g/lb to 1.0g/lb range for adults trying to build muscle. Eating more than this amount will not cause you to build muscle faster. The extra protein will either be stored as fat or used as energy.

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect that you are already quite a bit above this level. You might want to confirm your total with a diet analysis program on the web like the one at http://www.nat.uiuc.edu/

The last thing is that my measurements with 3 points calipers show 20% bf which is impossible since I am not fat......is there another way to measure?

Underwater weighing is a very accurate bodyfat measure. However, it still may have errors for persons with atypical bone density. They offer this at my gym a couple times per month. Perhaps you have something similar.

Skinfold measures are a simple method whose accuracy depends oon the equitment and skill of the tester. It is generally more accurate when a larger number of body parts is tested. The location of the body parts tested may effect the totals. For example my body fat tests in the 3%-7% range when measurements are taken at the quad/abs/triceps/biceps/pecs. However, if the lower back makes up a large portion of the test locations, then my body fat can be 50% higher.

Some labs use a Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiom test that has been shown to be most accurate of all. This test is very expensive, so it is probably not available to you.

Bioelectrical Impedance tests and testers may also be available. When I was in growing up, my local YMCA had one. They are a quick and simple tests. Inexpensive testers are sold on the web and in many fitness stores. They claim to be more accurate than skin calipers, but Consumer Reports found that it overestimates body fat in women by an average of 8% and in men by 3%

There are other tests based on waist size, height/weight tables, BMI, or other simple measures. I feel that these are usually least accurate of all for muscular individuals, like bodybuilders.

bradley
02-12-2003, 04:10 PM
I would add dextrose or some other simple carb postworkout and leave out the milk. Milk would slow down digestion as well which would is not ideal postworkout.

You can continue to use the caliper tests to judge your progress. This might not be the most accurate way to measure bf but it is fairly consistent (if done by the same person) and will allow you to judge your progress.