PDA

View Full Version : Diet Help Please :)

wibble
02-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Hey all,

I'm 5'8" 140lbs and want to do a 40/30/30 split. At 18x bodyweight, I'm allowed 252g carbs/189g protien/84g fat to equal about 2520kcals.

I just spent the last 3 hours trying to create a diet for myself. I know it could probably use some work and variety, but this is what I'm going to try to work from:

Meal 1:

1 serving Oatmeal
1 scoop Optimum Whey
1 cup Unsweetened Orange Juice

Meal 2:

2 slices Whole Wheat Bread
1 can Puritan Canned Turkey
1 tablespoon Ultra Low Fat Miracle Whip

Meal 3:

2 Medium Pitas
4 tablespoons Salsa
1 cup Lean Ground Beef

Meal 4:

2 slices Whole Wheat Bread
1 can Puritan Canned Turkey
1 tablespoon Ultra Low Fat Miracle Whip

Meal 5 (Post Workout):

1 Medium Pear
1 oz Walnuts
1 cup Gatorade
1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Whey

Meal 6:

1 cup 2% Milk
1 cup Whole Wheat Spaghetti
1/2 cup Lowfat Cottage Cheese

For this diet, Fitday tells me its 253g carbs/ 176g protien / 100g fat for a total of 2600kcals.

My totals compared to what I'm supposed to get are off by 1g carbs, 13g protien and 16g fat.

I'm not worried about the protien as I'm already getting more than 1g / lb of bodyweight, but as for the fat I thought maybe I could drop the tablespoon of Olive Oil to bring my fat down to 86g, but then the calories drop to 2480 and thats probably a bad hit to the EFA's since the only other good source in the diet is from the walnuts probably.

Anyway, this diet is by no means concrete so I was wondering if someone could lend a hand and help me get it in order.

Thanks a lot :)
wibble

raniali
02-11-2003, 04:15 PM
where's the fat?
things look decent, a little high in carbs but this might work for you if you have a fast metabolism
i am not going to nit-pick , but you do need sources of good dietary fats (olive oil, flax oil, fish/cod oil, nuts, pnut butter etc) and these need to be included in your daily totals. you might need to rearrange the carbs to fat because i definitely wouldn't go lower with protein levels.

wibble
02-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I definately need more sources of good fats, the only things I have in for that are Olive Oil and Walnuts... The carbs per meal seem high but its really only 1 carb more than my split calls for. Maybe I could rework some things and get rid of some of the things with more fat and replace with good fats, I don't know. I also didn't get any veggies in there or anything. I pretty much shot for getting my ratios right.

Thanks for the reply though, any help at all is appreciated. :)

wibble
02-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Oops, just realized I left the Olive Oil out of Meal 1. Oh well, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil goes in there too.

Haven't gotten very much feedback or anything and I'm anxious to put on some mass so I think I'm just gonna go with what I got for awhile. I mean, it can't be overly bad, I'm pretty much almost exactly meeting my 40/30/30 split. I'll be lookin to switch it up soon anyhow for some variety.

wibble

bradley
02-13-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by wibble
Oops, just realized I left the Olive Oil out of Meal 1. Oh well, 1 tablespoon Olive Oil goes in there too.

Haven't gotten very much feedback or anything and I'm anxious to put on some mass so I think I'm just gonna go with what I got for awhile. I mean, it can't be overly bad, I'm pretty much almost exactly meeting my 40/30/30 split. I'll be lookin to switch it up soon anyhow for some variety.

wibble

THe diet looks good IMO, as long as you follow raniali's advice in getting more healthy fats in there. I would also drop the walnuts and pear postworkout and stick with the gatorade and whey. The fat in the walnuts and the fiber in the pear will slow digestion which is not ideal postworkout. You can have the pear and walnuts wiith one of your other meals.

wibble
02-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Right on, good call bradley, never thought about the fat slowing down my protien digestion. I'll probably throw the pear in with Meal 1. I'm trying a test diet today where I'm going to try every meal and see how they taste and stuff before I get hardcore into it.

Meal 1 this morning was a bit of a failure, I had a different kind of Oatmeal than the stuff I used to eat before and it came out all thick like peanut butter, it was nasty as hell. I figure I'll try the stuff I used to buy before, drop the pear all together and maybe add a banana to my Oatmeal in its place to give it a little flavor. Also, instead of the Olive Oil I was thinking of picking up some flax seed to sprinkle on top. Think that would be a better idea?

Another idea I had was to cook up some chicken breasts and keep them in the fridge and use some meat from those for my sandwiches instead of using that processed crap. I mean it doesn't look bad nutrient-wise on the label but I don't know if I trust it. :)

Let me know what you think, I got a feeling I might revamp a couple things in Meals 1 and 2.

Thanks for the reply :D
wibble

bradley
02-13-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by wibble
Also, instead of the Olive Oil I was thinking of picking up some flax seed to sprinkle on top. Think that would be a better idea?

Another idea I had was to cook up some chicken breasts and keep them in the fridge and use some meat from those for my sandwiches instead of using that processed crap. I mean it doesn't look bad nutrient-wise on the label but I don't know if I trust it. :)

Yeah the flax seeds would be good but might just want to go with a little flax oil. Just take a teaspoon or tablespoon (depends on how much you want to use) and slurp it down.

Yeah cooking your won chicken is a much better plan IMO. The pre-cooked ones have a lot of sodium and other preservatives that you don't need. Probably help you cost wise as well. Let us know what you come up with.