PDA

View Full Version : 1 rep maxing on benchpress

jww13
02-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Friday I'm gonna try to max on bench. I was wondering what the best way to prepare/warmup for it is?

My previous 1RM is 185. What should I warmup with (weight/sets/reps)? It seems like after i do just 1 set of say 135x8 that it wastes a lot of energy.

What do you guys think?

Oh 1 more question, I weigh 135 so what do you guys think the most I could bring my bench up to would be at this weight?

thanks

WillKuenzel
02-12-2003, 11:01 PM
I would warm up with one set of 135 for 3 reps, 1 set of 155 for 1 rep and them max at whatever you are trying. That's how I would warm up. Just a few reps to warm up but nothing to over do it.

At your weight though I have no idea what you could bench. It could pretty much keep going up just depending upon your genetics.

Podium Kreatin
02-12-2003, 11:29 PM
when i was 135, i benched 225, but i know a guy who is 140 and benched 265.... so, i dunno neither, but u shouldn't worry unless u are competing for powerlifting

for warmup, i dont' do more than 4 reps. reason is, the purpose of the warmup is to prepare the workout (maxing out), so u want to build towards it. more than 4 reps may exhaust u, liek u said

ElPietro
02-13-2003, 09:27 AM
The main thing is to make sure you get sufficient rest time between your last warmup set and your max attempt. Give yourself a good 3-5 minutes minimum.

Berserker
02-13-2003, 09:37 AM
I do a couple set of of low rep warm ups around 3-5. Then I usually work my way up to my 1 rep doing 1 reps. That why you don't go from 95 to 185 and feel like you r being crushed, maybe your last one being 165. Just me.

GIS
02-13-2003, 10:57 AM
This little old asian guy at my school gym put up 275x2 the other day. He musta been at least 50 and weighed like 140-150 with these TINY little arms. I swear it defied physics.

I'll throw in the advice of making sure you have a reliable spotter. It's pretty obvious that you should have one when lifting weight over your head that you've never done before, but having one you can trust can help with your mental game.

Berserker
02-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by GIS
I'll throw in the advice of making sure you have a reliable spotter. It's pretty obvious that you should have one when lifting weight over your head that you've never done before, but having one you can trust can help with your mental game.
I don't know, as your face turns red and everything goes black, I am at my strongest.

Chris Rodgers
02-13-2003, 03:22 PM
Warm up with these weights:

Bar x whatever
95 x 5 or so
135 x 2-3
165-170 x 1
go for a PR here
then go heavier if successful and you feel like you can do more

Just make sure everything feels loose, but don't tax yourself with semi-heavy weights for reps. I sometimes do some very light rear delt/rotator movments to help prepare for heavy presses too. Like EP said, leave sufficient time between your last warmup and your max attempt. Have a reliable spotter also.

I laugh when people just go in the gym and warm up with 135, especially when their max is less than 300. I know guys who bench 500-600+ and they warm up with the bar first. I guess you don't "look" strong when you are only using the bar. :rolleyes:

Calipso
02-13-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by GIS
This little old asian guy at my school gym put up 275x2 the other day. He musta been at least 50 and weighed like 140-150 with these TINY little arms. I swear it defied physics.

Damn right we got one of those too in my gym. Short little asian guy who weighs close to nothing yet benching 250x4-5. I was just staring like "WTF!" Then again I saw this short pudgy 13 year old junior high kid benching 170 so I had to give him props. Makes me look at myself and say "Damn, I suck!"

-Calipso