PDA

View Full Version : What do you all eat when you're sick?

JD77
02-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I don't usually get sick, but I'm i the middle of my yearly cold right now. Consequently, I have a fever and the thought of anything dairy is making me wanna hurl. So, I'm just wondering what you all eat when you are sick to keep your calories up. I don't think I can eat enough chicken soup to keep from losing LBM.

I know....I'm a wimp.

Alex.V
02-13-2003, 12:39 PM
Steak, pasta, cheese....

Isaac Wilkins
02-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Steak, beans, scrambled eggs... Belial reminded me: underage girls. :D

"Take your share, then pass it on"

JD77
02-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Hmm...I don't think I can eat cheese right now, but scrambled eggs I could probably keep down.

Tryska
02-13-2003, 01:01 PM
soup!

Tryska
02-13-2003, 01:02 PM
ps - i feel your pain.....i picked up a cold on tuesday, or it might jsut be remnants of my flu from 2 weeks ago. not entirely sure.

I know my secret trick, but unless you're into spicy indian food it's prolly not for you.

JD77
02-13-2003, 01:24 PM
I love spicy food! ...except for the heartburn. What's your secret?

millertime
02-13-2003, 01:32 PM
I eat everything when i'm stick, its an excuse to have a cheat day.

Tryska
02-13-2003, 01:38 PM
*lol* it will knock out anything.....it's basically a soup made with a bunch of spices called rasam.

You take a bunch of dry spices, like dried chili pepper, black pepper, some mustard, aniseed, some turmeric powder, and other stuff (would have to look at mom's recipe) and about 6 cloves of garlic, and some fresh cilantro - grind it all together, i use a mortar and pestle these days, but in the past i have put it in a heavy duty ziploc and smashed it with a hammer, and then put it in some water, chop up a fresh tomato, put that in there, add a spoon of tamarind paste, and bring it to a boil. Then pour it into a mug and sip on it.

it's really peppery and spicy, and will clea rout your nasal passages and make you sweat too. it usually will knock out a cold. I'm planning on making some tonight, cuz i'm driving to Louisiana for the weekend, and need to be in decent health.

i think the garlic and red pepper help kill whatever cooties you ahve too.

BIG BOY
02-13-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by millertime
I eat everything when i'm stick, its an excuse to have a cheat day.

Yup, the same here.

JD77 eat everything you can to keep your calories intake high and prevent catabolism.

Manveet
02-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Just eat like you would normally eat.

BIG BOY
02-13-2003, 02:21 PM
Manveet ofcourse this would be the best solution, but like JD77 when I`m sick I just can`t eat like usual so I`m looking for "easy to swallow" foods.

IceRgrrl
02-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Usually whatever sounds appealing enough. When I'm sick, I tend to lose my appetite, so eating anything is a major accomplishment. I tend towards liquid-y stuff like soup and sauces, juice, tea, etc. and yes, spicy stuff does have a good effect on stuffed up sinuses ;)

Y2A
02-13-2003, 03:17 PM
I always want to eat, no matter what the situation is!! Sorry I cant be of much help on this topic :confused: ;)

bradley
02-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Beef and vegetable soup, and like others recommended spicy. Tabasco (habernero flavor preferably) is a help in getting those nasal cavities open:)

BUFF STUFF
02-13-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
ps - i feel your pain.....i picked up a cold on tuesday, or it might jsut be remnants of my flu from 2 weeks ago. not entirely sure.

Strange same thing happened to me.

Saint Patrick
02-14-2003, 11:23 AM
chicken noodle soup here.

SlipTheKnot
02-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Drink alot of fluids espcially Cranberry juice and GreatFruit juice...and eat alot of soup and get lots of rest.

AstronautJones
02-14-2003, 12:24 PM
I feel for you Tryska (and anyone else who has had to go through the flu lately). My recent bout with the flu was thee worst.

Usually when I have a cold I eat spicy foods like spicy chili. Lots of cayenne pepper in it. :)

Jambalaya is also good.

Shao-LiN
02-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Yah, I just picked up the flu from a group of my friends too. I've just been stuffing myself full of pasta and drinking the occassional protein shake.

Tryska
02-17-2003, 07:59 AM
mmm jambalaya. I actually tried zicam - the homoepathic, zinc-derivative that allegedly shortens a cold, and i must say using it, i definitely started to feel better quickly. Granted, i was laready 2 days into the cold, when i tried it, so i may have jsut been getting ove rit i don't know. As of now it seems my cold is gone....of course spendign the past couple days in new orleans where it was warmer and a little humid might have helped too.

Ferdo
02-17-2003, 04:02 PM
I eat anything, Usually alot higher on carbs then protein on sick days. Lot of whole wheat toast with light margerine. Soup.