PDA

View Full Version : egg whites

noahfor123
02-15-2003, 02:52 PM
I know you can buy egg whites separate from the rest of the egg, but do you have to prepare them or can you just drink them straight?

Big Show
02-15-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by noahfor123
I know you can buy egg whites separate from the rest of the egg, but do you have to prepare them or can you just drink them straight?

If memory serves me,egg whites out of the carton are Homonginized(sp)so it should be okay to drink them.

But all in all egg whites should be properly cooked.You shouldn't drink since

a)That way there's no risk of salmonella poisoning
b)Drinking egg whites tastes gross

Besides it only takes 5 mins to cook scrambled egg whites in the microwave:)

Vido
02-15-2003, 04:57 PM
I believe some of the protein in eggs only becomes active when cooked.

AstronautJones
02-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Vido
I believe some of the protein in eggs only becomes active when cooked.

That's interesting. I would have thought it would be the other way around: cooking them depletes some of nutritional value.

noahfor123
02-15-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. I don't have a microwave, but maybe if they are pasturized they will be safe to drink.

MrWebb78
02-15-2003, 05:19 PM
every brand of egg white i have bought or seen have been pasteurized. so its ok to drink, and even thought they are nasty to drink, they are even nastier cooked, and takes longer to eat. I would like to see if thats a fact or not about the protein becoming active only when cooked. Maybe ive been doing it all wrong:( anyways i dont make it a regular part of my diet, but once a week or so ill slam a carton of egg whites for 50 grams of protein(if im getting all 50).

Vido
02-15-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by AstronautJones

That's interesting. I would have thought it would be the other way around: cooking them depletes some of nutritional value.

Although your thoughts would be dead-on for almost any other food, I'm almost positive that egg protein is better when cooked.

HANSEL
02-15-2003, 07:01 PM
most eggwhites are pasturized so you could eat it raw, but I think that that causes a Biotin deficiancy. I think vido is right, I always cook mine, I noticed my muscles actually looked better after a carton of cooked eggwhites vs drinkin them strait.

WiNgS
02-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by noahfor123

i boil mine and then cut around the circumference with a knife and then through away the yolk

noahfor123
02-16-2003, 11:42 AM
I heard that cooked meat has more nutritional benefit than uncooked meat, maybe because it is easier to digest. I heard it on a video about the neaderthol people.

Wizard
02-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Big Show

If memory serves me,egg whites out of the carton are Homonginized(sp)so it should be okay to drink them.

Well, they re pasteurized and not homogenized (milk is usually both pasteurized and homogenized).

However I always cook them to avoid any chances of getting infected with salmonela..