PDA

View Full Version : Does eating red meat really make gaining muscle easier than other proteins

Common
02-15-2003, 05:19 PM
I've heard this a few times...

is this true?

Are there other foods like this, besides red meats?

MrWebb78
02-15-2003, 05:22 PM
I would have to agree that it is easier, based on my own personal experience. i have nothing scientific to back it up. but when my diet is high in red meat(not always lean though), i experience more muscle gains. its fairly expensive to eat that way and not the best for cholesterol levels either. but you dont need red meat to gain muscle by any means. if im not mistaken whole eggs are supposed to be the most quality protein available.

Common
02-15-2003, 07:00 PM
Whole eggs? Not just egg whites? I've heard the egg yolks are good for fat--but theres so much, it's better to get your good fats from peanut butter or nuts.....

What are some cheaper lean red meats? Steak is really expensive.. Right now, i'm eating no red meats...

HANSEL
02-15-2003, 07:05 PM
"Eye of round" steaks are usually reasonable. I try to find the older managers specials stuff on sale and bring it home, weigh it out, bag it, and freeze it all.

bradley
02-16-2003, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by MrWebb78
its fairly expensive to eat that way and not the best for cholesterol levels either.

Dietary cholesterol has minimal effects on your blood cholesterol levels.

Egg yolks only contain approx 4.5g of fat which is not much IMO. Just eat a couple of whole eggs along with some egg whites.

Eye of round is a good choice, sirloin, and I also eat ground beef (96% lean). You can usually find some in the big family packs or keep your eye out for sales.

Shao-LiN
02-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Common
Whole eggs? Not just egg whites? I've heard the egg yolks are good for fat--but theres so much, it's better to get your good fats from peanut butter or nuts.....

What are some cheaper lean red meats? Steak is really expensive.. Right now, i'm eating no red meats...

A tablespoon of peanut butter has more fat in it than an egg yolk. Steak is a good protein source, but there's lots more: tuna, chicken, etc. Don't limit yourself if you don't want to spend on beef.

socrates
02-16-2003, 10:26 AM
To answer your first question...Red meats do not contain any significant source or any thing that would make one more inclined to gain lean mass.

Although test have shown red meats (heron being the highest concentration) to have levels of creatine in them. This is not creatine monohydrate, nor Tri-Creratine malate so the bioavailbility is not going to be enough to really make a difference.

But a steak sure taste great!

EdgeCrusher
02-16-2003, 03:50 PM
As someone who doesn't eat meat, I would say that meat (especially red) is good for muscle growth, as it's much harder for me than it used to be.

MrWebb78
02-16-2003, 03:56 PM
the egg yolk may hold the fat of the egg, but its amino acid profile is incredible, and differant than that of the white. so eating a whole egg is getting best of both worlds.

as for red meat, you could buy cheap fatty ground beef, and cook it on a foreman grill. or cuts of steak include sirloin. london broil is lean as well. its loaded with iron and b vitamins too, which alot of people lack in there diets.

Bradley thanks for the info on cholesterol, i wasnt aware of the fact

restless
02-16-2003, 04:11 PM
In my opinion red meat is the best muscle builder there is, along with whole eggs. This was a belief in the old bodybuilding days and from my experience I can say that I make much better gains when I over indulge on these foods. Let's not forget that saturated fat and cholesterol seem to increase your testosterone levels, so that might be it.

kook
02-16-2003, 05:22 PM
let's all sacrifice some humans, it must be easier to gain muscle when eating human muscle

i barely ever eat red meat anymore and actually i found that i can gain muscle easier off of chicken and eggs, but this is all relative, everyone is diff especially diff nationalities and how you process food

CollegeBoy
02-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by kook
let's all sacrifice some humans, it must be easier to gain muscle when eating human muscle

I'll bite. :eek: :D

hemants
02-17-2003, 07:51 AM
Red meat is high in zinc which is probably why it has postive effects on testosterone.

However, if your zinc intake is adequate, eating beef probably won't make a difference.

Once protein is digested and broken down into amino acids, your body doesn't care where it gets them from as long as the essential ones are available in roughly the right quantity.

CollegeBoy
02-17-2003, 08:50 AM
I think the big point here is that cows taste really good... and that we should eat them. :burger:

Alke
02-17-2003, 03:37 PM
I been eating at least five whole eggs a day as long as I can remember working out (off/on again for 4 years, only now getting to the "Lets kick some booty" stage).Im poor so I cant afford supplements sometimes, so tuna and eggs are a staple for me. I still check out fine at the doctor for all those tests, so I think all this about eggs being bad should be taken case by case, too many other factors involved.