PDA

View Full Version : muscle without fat?

aggablinky
02-15-2003, 07:14 PM
Can anyone please advise me on how i can continue to grow muscle, and shed some fat at the same time? I`ve tried before, but i always seem to lose muscle as well. I currently have 2 protein drinks a day. mixed with lowfat milk, can i reduce this to 1 per day without too much sacrifice to my performance, etc? Also , if i eat a lot of fish, instead of some fatty foods, will that enable me to continue to grow muscles and shed fat at the same time? I once read that you can succesfully do this , provided you eat healthier, instead of eating less.
Any opinions would be great, thankyou :)

_-_v_-_
02-15-2003, 07:24 PM
No.

Barring a miracle, you can't do that.

sweet-physique
02-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
No.

Barring a miracle, you can't do that.

The guys in the anabolic forum might have some advice on such a miracle. :angel:

_-_v_-_
02-15-2003, 07:49 PM
:).

That they might...

aka23
02-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
No. Barring a miracle, you can't do that.

I disagree. I think that if the average American started lifiting weights and did not modify their diet or lifestyle, then a month later most of them would have more lean body muscle and less body fat. I have not gained fat in the time that I have been lifting, but I have gained a good amount of muscle. It certainly is not impossible to gain muscle while losing fat, but many may make larger gains by following a bulking then cutting approach.

_-_v_-_
02-15-2003, 09:20 PM
In general (and there are exceptions, particularly regarding previously untrained individuals), putting on muscle requires a caloric surplus, which necessarily equates with some degree of fat gain.

KingJustin
02-15-2003, 10:01 PM
How about just a 6-12 rep workout 3 times a week with HIIT, eating only enough calories (and the right food) to gain muscle? would still imagine bulk/cut would be a bit better :P

bradley
02-16-2003, 05:17 AM
You might try eating close to your maintenance cals and see what kind of results you get. Although I agree with -v- in that losing fat/gaining muscle is a conflicting goal and is usually only accomplished by people new to training or those on AAS.

BCC
02-16-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by aka23

I disagree. I think that if the average American started lifiting weights and did not modify their diet or lifestyle, then a month later most of them would have more lean body muscle and less body fat. I have not gained fat in the time that I have been lifting, but I have gained a good amount of muscle. It certainly is not impossible to gain muscle while losing fat, but many may make larger gains by following a bulking then cutting approach.

In general, if you're not a beginner, you'd better say your prayers.

aka23
02-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
In general, if you're not a beginner, you'd better say your prayers.

Building muscle does not inherently involve adding fat. I think most well-trained individuals could gain muscle while losing fat by doing a program that involved a mix of weights and cardio, and consuming a balanced diet with adequate protein and carbs. Doing fat burining cardio does not inherently involve losing muscle. Muscle loss is usually more related to restricting calories than doing cardio. I agree that they would likely gain muscle or lose fat at a faster rate if they focused on one activity or the other (bulking, then cutting approach).

Shao-LiN
02-16-2003, 08:30 AM
Yes, trying to do both by eating around maintenance is a very slow process. It is possible, especially if you're still a beginner or very obese, but I wouldn't count on it too much. Doing "fat burning" cardio may work to some extent, but I imagine that it would help prevent you from adding anymore fat more than dropping some off of you.

You're right, building muscle does not inherently involve adding fat, but with a caloric surplus and depending on your metabolism and genetics, it is bound to happen on a standard bulk. The best you can do is try and minimize it. I'm of the mind that I don't care if I gain fat because I can just cut it down later. Makes life easier.

HANSEL
02-16-2003, 10:01 AM
I have gained lean muscle while shedding BF%, no gear, but thats me.

NotSoBig
02-16-2003, 10:28 AM
I think its possible. A few years back I gained quite a bit of muscle while eating around 1000 cals a day. You just have to see what works for you. All the while staying lean, and at around 10% bf (im guessing because I could see my abs)

You will find that most of the info on this site is just recycled info that is not backed by any scientific facts. Don't take it all to heart :)

restless
02-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by aka23

I think most well-trained individuals could gain muscle while losing fat by doing a program that involved a mix of weights and cardio, and consuming a balanced diet with adequate protein and carbs.

And dietary fat damn it!!! :swear: :bang: :soapbox: