PDA

View Full Version : Dietary Questions:tryin to stay lean but gain muscle detail

Marcus
02-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Im new to bodybuilding and have came across the hardest decision ive had to in a long time. I talked to a bodybuildin trainer last week and he kinda gave me a good idea of what I should start doing and my diet and what not. He mentioned basically a lot of food packed with protiens and such. But I started gettin worried when he was going into how much and the types of food. Im pretty lean (5'6" 150lbs) I love to go run and basically have a runners build now. But I wanted to keep the lean look but get cut/detailed muscles without having to eat all the stuff that going to add mass and such. But the guy insisted that I eat what he told me to and i would gain muscle mass. Is there any diet that would help me gain muscle deffinition while staying lean and such?? He was giving me a diet for muscle mass but i just want a diet/workout for muscular deffinition/detail. If anyone could supply a diet for me or a "general" one that just can get me on the right track would be great. And I know its in the wrong forum but maybe a workout to??

CBates
02-17-2003, 06:48 PM
What would be better and easier to do, is for you to provide us with the diet he gave you and we could critique that.

Marcus
02-18-2003, 09:23 PM
will do, ill post up the work-out im tryin to bring together also. Just need some time damn Enlgish 4 AP isnt giving me anytime to do anything.

fuzz
02-18-2003, 09:30 PM
There is really no such thing as muscle "detail".

Put simply, muscle either grows or atrophies. It can't become more "detailed".

If you want definition, that basically means adding some mass while maintaining leanness. Which means eating more to bulk. The slower you try to bulk and the cleaner you do it, the better your ratio of muscle to fat will be.

Marcus
02-18-2003, 09:53 PM
eh...ill just do this before i go to bed.

Stats
5'6"
16yrs Old
dont have the measurements of my chest or arms but here are my football maxes
Bench-215
Incline-205
Squat-265
Powerclean-195
I really have a lean 'boxer/sprinters build' atleats thats what coaches/friends say
This was his 'general diet overview'
Breakfast: 2 sev. of Oatmeal
2 Slices of Pineapple (Optional)
2 Scoops of Protien powder in water
some whole wheat toast was optional to
Snacks: Nuts, Apples, Green Grapes, Protein Shakes
Lunch:Brown Rice: 3/4 cup cooked
Chicken Breast (1)
Fresh Vegtables
Dinner: Lima Beans (fresh!)
Large Apple (before or after actual dinner)
Sweet Potatoe, Whole wheat Pasta,Fresh Vegtables like broccoli, brussel sprouts,
for meats...keep lean like chicken, fresh water fish, if red meat lean cuts

His Suggested workout:
Squat 3x8-10
Leg Press/Lunges 3x8-10
Pullups-3x8-10
Shoulder Press 3x8-10
Tricep Press 3x8-10
Barbell Curl 3x 8-10

Opposed to my workout that i got out of Flex Magazine
Week A:
Mon
Quads-Squats (Pyramid Set)
Leg Press 3x12
Lunges 3x12
Leg Extensions 3x15
Hamstrings-Leg Curls 4x 12
Calves-Calf Raises 3x20
Calf Presses 3x 20
Tuesday (Week B Pyramid on Bench)
Chest-Bench Press 3x10-12
Dumbell Flys 3x10
Dumbell Incline & Bench 3x10
Dips 5x10
Triceps-Skull Crushers 3x10
One-Arm Dumbell Extensions 3x6-8
Wedensday 'Rest Day'(readlly abs day)
Abs-Weighted Crunches 3x50
Cobra (ab stretch)
Alt.Turn Crunches-25x
Bench Ab stretch
Jack Knifes 3x30
Cobra
Hanging Hip Raise 3x20
Cobra
Weighted Incline Twisting Crunch 3x30
Cobra
Obliques
Side Crunches 2x30 (each side)
Pretzel (Oblique Stretch)
Weighted Bends 4x20
Broom Stick Twist (Ab/Oblique Stretch)
Thursday
Shoulders-Military Press (Pyramid scheme Week A/non week B)
Side Lats 3x12
Rear Lats 3x12
Upright Rows-3x12
Sit Rows (lat machine) 3x10
Biceps-Dumbell Curls 3x12
Alt.Hammer Curls 3x12
Barbell Burnout Set (goes from 25lbs on both sides in 5's take 1 5lb off every 10 curls till there is none then back up to 25lbs;arms very much like noodles afterwards) 2 sets
Friday- Weight Freeday (whatever i think i need or want to do)

Everymorning after breakfast i take 1 1/2 scoops of Cell-Tech and 1 1/2 scoops of Cell-Tech after workouts (just for initial week) after first week ill just take 1 1/2 scoops after workout

_-_v_-_
02-18-2003, 10:00 PM
Honestly, I would take that routine and shove it so far up the trainer's $ss that he wouldn't be able to deadlift for a month.

Wait, I just used the words "trainer" and "deadlift" in the same sentence. Please shoot me.

_-_v_-_
02-18-2003, 10:01 PM
And ditch that diet, too.

fuzz
02-18-2003, 10:04 PM
Actually, the trainer's workout looks decent:

Squat 3x8-10
Leg Press/Lunges 3x8-10
Pullups-3x8-10
Shoulder Press 3x8-10
Tricep Press 3x8-10
Barbell Curl 3x 8-10

The main thing I see missing is some chest work. Add dips or a bench press to it, do that three or two times a week without reaching failure, and you would have a very good whole body routine. I would drop leg presses and just focus on squats, though.

The stupid workout is from Flex magazine. Throw out flex magazine. Any routines from it are useless, and should be used as toiled paper in case of emergency shortages.

_-_v_-_
02-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Sorry, I confused Trainer's for Flex's.

My mistake.

bradley
02-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Diet looks as though it could use some more healthy fats in there.:)

LAM
02-19-2003, 11:48 AM
the foods listed in your diet are great. but the composition of your meals needs much work. each meal needs to consist of protein, carbs and fats.

and you need to start couting calories. diet is 70% of this sport, lifting weights in the gym is the EASY part...

Marcus
02-20-2003, 06:13 PM
what kind of diet structure do you guys suggest???

This is what ive been doin

Breakfast
-Special K (1 Cup) w/ Fat Free Milk (3/4) Cup, this isnt my choice but were only stocked with the "good" cereal so its all i got, and its quick right before i go to school.
-1 bannana
-Vitamins
-Daily
-Calcium
-Vitamin C
and for the time being 1 1/2 scoops of Cell-Tech with 20oz of water.

Snacks
-Large Apple
-Green Grapes
-Large Bannana

Lunch:
-Tuna Sandwich (had on Mon. and Today, Thursday.)
-Orange
-Powerade

Dinner
-dinner varies(depends what mom wants or cooks no democracy involved during dinner, strict dictatorship.)But its usually a pretty health oriented umm like lastnight we had Chicken,Smashed Tatters,brown rice, and some salad. So I generally get a good dinner.

But this setup has basically been my diet this week so far. I cant really have a high intake lunch on Tues. and Thurs. cause I have football 20mins after lunch and on these days we do a hardcore cardio workout. And with food in my stomach doin the stuff that we do i would probably get really sick and vomit. But on Mon. and Wed. and Fri. I can have any size of lunch i want cause these are the days that we lift weights in football. Im still tryin to get a diet that will work for me and weightliftin, but i need to compromise because of football being 20mins right after lunch and i dont really have time to digest.

CBates
02-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Marcus
what kind of diet structure do you guys suggest???

This is what ive been doin

Breakfast
-Special K (1 Cup) w/ Fat Free Milk (3/4) Cup, this isnt my choice but were only stocked with the "good" cereal so its all i got, and its quick right before i go to school.
-1 bannana
-Vitamins
-Daily
-Calcium
-Vitamin C
and for the time being 1 1/2 scoops of Cell-Tech with 20oz of water.

Snacks
-Large Apple
-Green Grapes
-Large Bannana

Lunch:
-Tuna Sandwich (had on Mon. and Today, Thursday.)
-Orange
-Powerade

Dinner
-dinner varies(depends what mom wants or cooks no democracy involved during dinner, strict dictatorship.)But its usually a pretty health oriented umm like lastnight we had Chicken,Smashed Tatters,brown rice, and some salad. So I generally get a good dinner.

Not enough protein or fat in your diet. You're maybe getting around 15 grams or less of fat, and maybe 60-80g of protein (if you're even getting that much fat or protein). Try to shoot for at least 30% of your diet from fat and also about 1g of protein times bodyweight

EdgeCrusher
02-20-2003, 06:54 PM
I wrote some stuff on bulking, but then I saw you have football, which is a new ball of wax:

Football rips you up pretty bad, and if you do it hard, you better ditch the dairy and anything that might make you sick before you practice. When you get done with football practice, start eating like a maniac (protein needs to be doubled), and eat throughout the day before practice, but nothing 1 hour minimum before practice.

I got sick doing practice sometimes, but I figured out how NOT to be an idiot.

When you're done with football, cut to 15% bf (or lower, depending on how you want), and then when spring time comes, start bulking like a maniac. I'm no good with weightroom workouts, but lifting is important. Also - a max is a neat thing to talk about, but don't screw around in the weight room with that crap, you want to get strong, not brag about numbers.

And if you guys did it differently than I, tell me, I'm just going off of my High School Football experience (I was 220 lbs in HS too).

EdgeCrusher
02-20-2003, 06:55 PM
and ditch that sugary diet if you want to have the energy to be able to do homework at night guy.

bradley
02-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Get more protein and healthy fats in at breakfast. Try some oatmeal and eggs, because Special K really does not offer much nutrition wise. Might try a tuna sandwich w/mayo, or natural peanut butter sandwich as a snack. Since you have practice immediately after lunch you might try a shake or protein of some sort. Like you said you don't want something sitting to heavy on your stomach. Then after practice have something similar to your midmorning snack. I would also save the Cell-Tech for postworkout only. Good luck with it:)