PDA

View Full Version : preparing/cooking turkey breast?

BennettBoy
02-16-2003, 05:42 PM
OK, so I cooked a turkey breast last week. It was bad. It was like even really hard to make myself want to eat it, and I love turkey breast. :(

I need some tips from folks that can cook good turkey breats LOL. First of all, is there a certain brand that is better than others. Second, how do you prepare the bird? Finally, how do you cook it?

GIS
02-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Turkey is hard to cook because it's so lean and it's difficult to not overcook it.

I'm a fan of dicing chicken up into ~1 inch squars and saute' it on medium heat in olive oil, diced up garlic, and sweet onion. Might be good for turkey... just make sure not to overcook it.

aka23
02-16-2003, 06:24 PM
Here is the procdeure I use for cooking skinless, boneless turkey breasts:

1. Place 4.5 oz turkey breast on a thick paper towel
2. Set Microwave for 3 minutes and start cooking
3. At approximately 2 min 35 seconds separate from paper towel to prevent sticking
4. At approximately 2 min 10 seconds separate from paper towel to prevent sticking
5. Remove and place on a second paper towel
6. Let stand a for 2+ minutes to cool and complete cooking

You may need to modify microwave times depending on portion size, microwave power, and desired texture

I prefer any brand that does not have toppings added. Some brands have so much salt added that I can barely taste the turkey.

carolinagirl
02-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Are you talking about the big ones? (Like 5 lbs of meat?) Or the cutlets, which is what everybody else seems to use?

I do the big ones in the oven - start it off at about 400 for about 15-20 mins to sear it (helps seal in the juice), then cut the heat down to about 300 or 325 for another 45 min to 1 hr plus -(depends on weight of turkey.) Cut into it to check for done-ness (juices should be clear, not much pink/red near the bones).

Turkey is just naturally a dry meat though. I go ahead and slice the meat off the bones once it's done, then I boil the bones up with some onions, carrots, celery, etc and make broth. Simmer the slices in the broth to heat them up and it makes it a little less dry. (It's not as good as, say, gravy would be, but it'll work!)

BennettBoy
02-16-2003, 07:49 PM
Yeah the big ones. Do you use those oven cooking bags carolinagirl, or wrap it in foil or what? Do you butter it before cooking? Things like that.

carolinagirl
02-16-2003, 08:49 PM
I put foil loosely over the top after the initial high-heat roasting. I don't butter it now, but I used to rub it with mayo before roasting - I know it sounds gross, but it gives it a great crispy brown skin. However, now that I don't eat the skin :angel: (even though it's the best part) I just do it plain.

bradley
02-17-2003, 03:05 AM
I usually pull back the skin before cooking and add spices as well. Usually a little salt and then whatever else I thing might go well on there. I cook mine about the same way as carolinagirl mentioned except I use one of those thermometers that you stick in different places of the meat to test the temp. That way I don't have to cut the turkey to see if it is done. Might also look into getting one of those spice injection kits which are tasty as well.