PDA

View Full Version : Diet consisting of a lot of taco bell...

Dkm911
02-16-2003, 09:27 PM
At my school i can use meal plans to get like 5.50 worth of taco bell.. .so i was thinking i could have in my diet 10 soft tacos a day... 10 soft taco = 2100 calories, 900 calories from fat, 250 mg cholestoral.. 100 grams of protein, 210 carbs, 6200 mg of sodium.. I would also eat other stuff like at least one turkey sandwhich and milk.. i'd eat the 10 tacos spaced out throughout the day.. im obviously trying to put on a lot of mass... im 6'1 150ish fat metabolism probably around 9-11% bf six pack.. and i wanna bulk... im not really sure how unhealthy this would be thats why im asking

AstronautJones
02-16-2003, 09:35 PM
If you want to put on quality mass, eat cleaner.

Shao-LiN
02-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Well, think about it. Does eating 10 tacos from taco bell a day sound healthy to you?

NotSoBig
02-17-2003, 10:53 AM
To me, nothing sounds unhealthy about it. People assume just because its fast food, that its not as good as their "clean" food. Compare the 2, whats the difference? Notta.

Recycled info = suck

Sure its a little high in sodium, other than that, I see no problem. I personally wouldnt do it, but thats because of the cost lol.

maverick
02-17-2003, 11:48 AM
My friend refers to "Taco Bell" as "Taco Hell", its a great:rolleyes: place if you don't mind having violent bowel(sp?) movements with the amount of it you plan to eat.

IceRgrrl
02-17-2003, 12:00 PM
Chicken soft tacos are pretty good: 190 cal, 6 g fat, 18 g protein, 14 g protein.

Some of their other stuff are calorie and fat bombs though...you just have to be selective and check the nutrition info.

Y2A
02-17-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by maverick
My friend refers to "Taco Bell" as "Taco Hell", its a great:rolleyes: place if you don't mind having violent bowel(sp?) movements with the amount of it you plan to eat.

"violent" and "explosive" :D

Dkm911
02-17-2003, 12:44 PM
doesnt have that effect on me...

AstronautJones
02-17-2003, 01:03 PM
LMAO @ the violent & explosive BM's.

PeaceBeWithYou
02-17-2003, 01:24 PM
It's a lot of cheap protein and at least it doesn't taste like trash like tuna does.

bradley
02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
I would be more concerned with all the preservatives, sodium, and unhealthy fats that come along with it. Granted there are worse things for you out there but eating 10 tacos on a consistent basis would not be the best dieting strategy. I would also add that comparing tacos and tuna is a stretch.:)

Saint Patrick
02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by IceRgrrl
190 cal, 6 g fat, 18 g protein, 14 g protein.

Eh?

Is it 18, or is it 14?

Shao-LiN
02-17-2003, 01:58 PM
1 taco...ok, I understand...maybe even 2 or 3...but 10 tacos a day? C'mon...

Alke
02-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I wouldnt do this type of diet...I did something similair, and ate everything in sight for six months with a minimum of one large pizza a day along with everything else (lots of beer), yea I got big and was getting strong, but How much of that was quality mass? It has taken quite a while to wittle away the spare tire......

Im good now, but I think I could have chosen a better alternative if I was better informed :)

Frozenmoses
02-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by PeaceBeWithYou
it doesn't taste like trash like tuna does.

Blasphemer.

Ferdo
02-17-2003, 03:56 PM
I would say its ok, As long as you dont kill it with beer and you workout and stay active. Id also go with the chicken taco instead. But some bodys dont put on weight as easily as others and some people can eat whatever the hell they want and still not put on fat. Escpeciallly meomorphs. I have a buddy, who eats whatever he wants doesnt workout yet is still a big solid guy, with low body fat.

GIS
02-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Dkm911
At my school i can use meal plans to get like 5.50 worth of taco bell.. .so i was thinking i could have in my diet 10 soft tacos a day... 10 soft taco = 2100 calories, 900 calories from fat, 250 mg cholestoral.. 100 grams of protein, 210 carbs, 6200 mg of sodium.. I would also eat other stuff like at least one turkey sandwhich and milk.. i'd eat the 10 tacos spaced out throughout the day.. im obviously trying to put on a lot of mass... im 6'1 150ish fat metabolism probably around 9-11% bf six pack.. and i wanna bulk... im not really sure how unhealthy this would be thats why im asking

You'd be MUCH better off going for something different. 6200 mg of sodium is an incredible amount offor one day.

If you were to eat several a day that wouldn't be much of a problem, but by restricting your diet to being built around one particular type of food is a poor decision in terms of nutrition. 10 tacos may have a lot of calories and decent protein from the meat within, but flour tortillas are not the best source of carbs and you could certainly find more nutritious foods.

Bulking doesn't JUST mean as many calories as you can eat. It means making sure you're doing that while also getting a strong nutritional profile. I'd say cut your taco intake in at least half and eat whole grains and less-fatty foods. They are good, but again, try to get a more balanced diet.

Dkm911
02-18-2003, 03:35 AM
yea theres no way im gonna do this.. probably more like 5 a day.. and mix in some chicken ones just for the protein... maybe some burritos...

Saint Patrick
02-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Taco Bell is yummy.

"Think outside the bun"

WillKuenzel
02-19-2003, 02:10 AM
*eats 20 tacos*

AstronautJones
02-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Tacos = good Taco Bell = Bad

LAM
02-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Regardless of what the nutritional content of those food items "claim" to be by Taco Bell the foods are heavily processed. If you think the body will utilize protein from ground beef via Taco Bell the same as that from the supermarket you are sadly mistaken.

Processed foods are not metabolized the same as whole food items. Fast food has no place in the diet of an athlete or body builder, not if you are looking for optimum performance and results...

Berserker
02-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Anybody ever have wheat taco/burito wraps I noticed there only 18g of carbs for a large wrap. Regular one are about 36. Thats alot of carbs.
As far as this thread goes, and a diet staple of fast food-WTF.

raniali
02-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by NotSoBig
To me, nothing sounds unhealthy about it. People assume just because its fast food, that its not as good as their "clean" food. Compare the 2, whats the difference? Notta.

Recycled info = suck

Sure its a little high in sodium, other than that, I see no problem. I personally wouldnt do it, but thats because of the cost lol.

if you feel this way, are you really looking for our opinions on your diet or just trying to justify eating crap-food everyday?

Berserker
02-19-2003, 10:31 AM
In my opinion if you'll never do well in weight lifting until you start cooking at home. Most likely for yourself, cause most people don't understand. I know for college kids this can be tough living in a dorm. But when your 1st years up move off campus. Don't know about your college but for me off campus was better and cheaper.

Dkm911
02-19-2003, 06:11 PM
i cook all the time when im at home.. dont have that option here...

Dkm911
02-19-2003, 10:31 PM
haha must be that taco bell

HANSEL
02-20-2003, 02:40 PM
It wouldnt be so bad if it had quality protein involved.
Like Bradley said, beware of all the garbage in the really low grade meat, its "Just add water and heat" ground beef.

NotSoBig
02-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Can someone link me to some studies that say the protein in fast food, is not as good as other protein? As far as I know, there are 2 proteins. Animal protein, and plant protein. There is no animal protein a and animail protein b.

Don't just reply and start flaming. Post proof that fast food does not contain "quality" protein.

LAM
02-20-2003, 11:38 PM
Food products that have been heat processed, stripped, separated, or preserved with chemicals are not whole foods. Most of the nutrients originally found in these foods have been lost due to over processing, vitamins and minerals have been dissipated through heat or chemical processing, and living enzymes and amino acids have been destroyed.

If you think that the ground beef in fast food has the same nutritional value as that from the supermarket you are an idiot...

noraa
02-20-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by LAM
Food products that have been heat processed, stripped, separated, or preserved with chemicals are not whole foods. Most of the nutrients originally found in these foods have been lost due to over processing, vitamins and minerals have been dissipated through heat or chemical processing, and living enzymes and amino acids have been destroyed.

If you think that the ground beef in fast food has the same nutritional value as that from the supermarket you are an idiot...

got peer reviewed evidence for this?

LAM
02-21-2003, 12:25 AM
I'm not going to waste my time looking for evidence....enjoy your fast food diets and see how far you get in this sport

Berserker
02-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by noraa

got peer reviewed evidence for this?
It seems you just want to eat fast food, would it matter what we wrote?

NotSoBig
02-21-2003, 11:00 AM
I dont just want to eat fast food, but like noraa id like to see proof. I cant understand why burger kings grilled chicken would be any less healthy than the chicken that I grill up.

They put the stats right there on their website. Are you saying they are lying?

Berserker
02-21-2003, 11:27 AM
Actually the grilled chicken I would think is decent. Its solid. I would worry more about the beef and ground up stuff, like bread chicken.

raniali
02-21-2003, 11:37 AM
if it was PLAIN, FRESH grilled chkn there would be no problem. but like all things that come in bags, sit in freezers and are used in fast food places, they add a ton of things to add flavor, increase shelf life and otherwise make the food a ticket for heart disease.

NotSoBig
02-21-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by raniali
if it was PLAIN, FRESH grilled chkn there would be no problem. but like all things that come in bags, sit in freezers and are used in fast food places, they add a ton of things to add flavor, increase shelf life and otherwise make the food a ticket for heart disease.

So these added preservatives will stop you from making gains? Are they some how affecting protein synthesis?

I'm not trying to sound like rodent here, I just want proof. I don't believe it for 1 second, because I ate fast food 3 times a day for 4 years and stayed pretty damn healthy, and put on a good amount of muscle. I put on a lot of fat too, but I don't feel it would have been any different had I ate "clean" during a bulk.

Berserker
02-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by NotSoBig

I'm not trying to sound like rodent here, I just want proof. .
A new term around here, being a rodent/pulling a rodent.

I agree its not as healthy for you. But just beacuse its got preservitives, frozen, and flavored doesn't mean the protein isn't good. I would still stick with solid cuts, like grilled chicken.

raniali
02-21-2003, 12:13 PM
i never said the added crap will stop u from making gains ...but this thread started with the question regarding the benefits, or lack thereof, of fastfood. if you feel YOU make gains eating this ****, then by all means, don't let me change your diet. however, not only do i pretty much detest the taste and texture of most fastfood, my overall health, training and progress would significantly decline if i was making this crap a staple in my diet. there are better things to eat - that is all i was saying. i don't have proof, but i think common sense will give you the same answers.