PDA

View Full Version : help

doga
02-17-2003, 09:24 AM
I weigh 165, about 6'0 need to add about 30 pound with minimum amount of fats. I workout 5 times a week. My ratio of p/c/f per meal is 30/60/10. Thanks for your advice.

Frozenmoses
02-17-2003, 10:00 AM
What exactly is it that you want us to tell you? Obviously if you're trying to add mass, eat more calories. How many calories are you eating at now? Obviously if you know your macro breakdown, this is something you've been keeping track of.

CBates
02-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by doga
I weigh 165, about 6'0 need to add about 30 pound with minimum amount of fats. I workout 5 times a week. My ratio of p/c/f per meal is 30/60/10. Thanks for your advice.

That's going to be very hard to do, unless you're new to working out, and even so, it's still going to be hard to add 30 with minimum amount of fat. First thing I'd do is check your routine, 5 days a week seems like a lot of working out and you're not giving your body enough time to recover. I'd also suggest, upping your protein and fat and lowering your carbs as far as the diet goes.

doga
02-18-2003, 03:29 AM
Now i am taking approx 2300 cal per day. So exactly how much protien and fats i must eat to gain mass. Should i change my routine?:confused:

bradley
02-18-2003, 06:10 AM
First off get 1g of protein per lb of bw and I would say about 30% of cals from fat (most of this coming from healthy fats). The rest of your daily cals can come from carbs, preferably low GI except postworkout which should be high GI. Keep adding cals until you are gaining about a pound a week. I would add about 200-300 calories each week to your daily total until you are seeing the desired weight gain.

If you want some advice on your training I would post in the training forum or take a look at one of the WBB routines.

doga
02-20-2003, 01:07 AM
Thanx bradley for your help.

aka23
02-20-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by doga
Now i am taking approx 2300 cal per day. So exactly how much protien and fats i must eat to gain mass.

You mentioned that you eat 2300 cal per day and 30% protein. This means you get 690 calories from protein or approximately 690/4=172.5grams protein per day. You are already eating more than 1g protein per lb which is more than well known sports nuitrition groups recommend for athletes/weightlifters and almost certainly more than you can use. There is no need to increase your protein. I think it is already a bit high.

10% fat may be enough to get your EFA depending on where the fats are coming from, but it is probably below your optimal levels. 20-30% is a common recommendation for athletes.

You mentioned you workout five days a week. You probably need more carbohydrates then most to fuel these activities (glycogen is used to fuel short activities like weightlifting, not fats); replenish glycogen after workouts; and facilitate recovery, repair, and growth. In the absense of adaquate carbs, protein may be burned as fuel instead of being used for muscle-tissue repair and other important functions. Your 60% is right in the middle of common sports nutritionists recommendations, but you might want to lower this percentage a bit to insure that you get adequate protein and fats given your low calorie intake.

I would suggest lowering your protein and carbs % a bit, then using those calories for healthy fats. For example a 25/55/20 diet would meet these suggestions without drastic changes. 2300 calories sounds quite low for a 165lb man who works out 5 times per week and is trying to add weight, but I would not drastically change your calorie intake. If it needs to be increased, then increase it in small increments, like bradley suggested.

Should i change my routine?:confused:

What is your exercise routine?

5 days per week may or may not be excessive depending on what you are doing on those days. You should not be working the same body part on consecutives days.

restless
02-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by aka23

10% fat may be enough to get your EFA depending on where the fats are coming from, but it is probably below your optimal levels. 20-30% is a common recommendation for athletes.

:bow: :bow: :thumbup:

doga
03-01-2003, 03:48 AM
Thanx guys for your replies. Well you want to know my workout routine here it is

Day1 Chest
Day2 Arms
Day3 Legs
Day4 Back
Day5 Shoulders

Am i doing worng?