PDA

View Full Version : dieting and bulking is IMPOSSIBLE

rodent500
02-17-2003, 03:01 PM
I've been trying for weeks to get a diet plan going. You have told me everything from 6 to 10 meals a day. Bottom line, I can't eat the same thing everyday at the same time. I have a different schedule.

One person tells me no butter, or grapes, another says it lots of bread. Is there a consensous as to what I can eat and should not?

Once many of you agree on that, then I can begin to draft a diet. Telling me to eat chicken, 1g of protein a pound, or 3500 calories won't help, ITS VAGUE and I know it.

Drop your diets, and do and don't eats, and I can form something from it.

Tryska
02-17-2003, 03:03 PM
eat every 3 hours.

or better yet...even easier, no matter what your schedule is, eat around the clock - ie. 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm 9pm, etc.

that way, no matter when you wake up and when you go to bed, you know when your next feeding time is.

what are your goals now? are you gaining muscle or are you losing fat?

EdgarMex
02-17-2003, 03:10 PM
If you are expecting somebody to tell you something like:

"At 9:00 am you should eat this and this, then at 12:00 pm you should this other thing, and at 3:00 pm, you should eat that"

it's just not going to happen, you have to figure it out by yourself. People here will give you guidelines to follow, but you will have to sit down and figure what the hell to eat by yourself. I already told you a bunch of times to use fitday. com to figure out the macronutrient contents of food (calories, protein, carbs and fat). That way you'll know how many calories you are consuming, and out of those calories, how many grams are protein, carbs and fat. Based on that info you can make day to day adjustments to you diet in oder to achieve whatever goal you have set for yourself.

Alke
02-17-2003, 03:10 PM
I know what you mean.....its one or the other, and trying to do both can give you a headache! I think everyone has their own way of keeping a good balance (each unigue to their own body), but hell if I can figure out my own diet that works both ways for a good balance yet! I think Im getting close though after 4 years.......sigh

EdgarMex
02-17-2003, 03:12 PM
He has been complaining about not being big and strong, so he definitely needs to bulk (I think he's 165 lbs at 6'2" or something like that). Check out his otyher posts, you'll get the idea of what we're dealing with

Tryska
02-17-2003, 03:27 PM
oh i have....i'd liek to hear his answers tho.

Wizard
02-17-2003, 03:29 PM
lol, that's a kind of masochism :D

Alke
02-17-2003, 03:31 PM
Hey ROdent500

if your really at 165 or so for 6'2 I would not even worry about dieting so much as just eat a lot of quality foods staying on the high end of calorie intake. Your metabolism will do the rest. worry about cutting when you get more size. then bulking will a whole lot easier when you get the ball rollin again.

EdgarMex
02-17-2003, 03:33 PM
That's what we've been trying to get into his thick skull with no success so far

Tryska
02-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Wizard
lol, that's a kind of masochism :D

*lol* yeah..i'm twisted like that. ;)

Alke
02-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Hey edgar

Im gona check out that fitday myself tonight, thanks for the info! I was looking for something to augment my own accounting of cals and protein counts of certain things........

Ferdo
02-17-2003, 03:51 PM
I know a guy who eats 3 bigmacs a day yet still cut to sh#t. Everyones body is different.

Moose
02-17-2003, 07:41 PM
PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

(if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Cottage cheese
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Milk

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
Crystal Light
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

rodent500
02-17-2003, 10:48 PM
guys, I have a draft diet for tomorrow, it is only a draft, please add and comment and I will change.

0900-Breakfast, 2 bowl of cereal
1230 or so-Lunch 2 plates of spaghetti
0300-yogurt and grapes snack
0500-snack???????????
0700-dinner(don't know)
0900-maybe a bowl of ice cream

1 request, if you have an idea can you say, snack1 add this, or something, try to specify, thanks.

I'm 6 feet 165.

Moose
02-17-2003, 11:09 PM
What I like to do is this........

- Eggs every morning for breakfast
- Cottage Cheese every night before bed
- Fill in all the meals in between with Chicken or Turkey Breast, Tuna Fish, Steak (any lean meat), Fresh Fish (salmon, etc.), and/or Protein Shakes.

There's your protein with each meal.

Use foods from the carb list above to add some carbs with each meal.

Use Flax, Natty PB, Cheese, Olive Oil, Nuts, etc with each meal to get fats when needed.

d221
02-18-2003, 06:39 AM
Read the online journals. People like Bennetboy etc have good detailed training plans and diet schedules mapped out. At your stage of training these routines and diets may need a little amendment but it will give you somewhere to start. you can see what they and when they eat it etc.

Hope this helps

raniali
02-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by rodent500
guys, I have a draft diet for tomorrow, it is only a draft, please add and comment and I will change.

0500-snack???????????
0700-dinner(don't know)

1 request, if you have an idea can you say, snack1 add this, or something, try to specify, thanks.

I'm 6 feet 165.

where the heck do you come up with this?

Tryska
02-18-2003, 10:27 AM
it's the same crap he's been eating all along.

KingJustin
02-18-2003, 10:32 AM
That's what...2200 calories? You're not considering cutting are you?

You don't even have any real protien in there besides the milk in the cereals.

rodent500
02-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Today's diet so far:
Breakfast: 2 eggs and bagel
Lunch: 1.5 dishes of spaghetti
Planned:
Snack: grapes...I dunno...whats a good snack besides tuna
Dinner: don't know
Is an ice cream snack at 9 good...especially for protein????

Feedback please.

Tryska
02-18-2003, 10:51 AM
how about a milk and protein powder snack around 9 pm, especially for protein?????

mr_hand
02-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Hey Rodent, most of the peeps here might give me hecks because I am saying this, but if I were you I wouldnt bother about counting calories. Like some of the others say, just eat like every couple hours, and eat smart foods. Dont eat McDonalds burgers, eat some cottage cheese or a nice hearty tuna sandwich. They weight will come. Counting cals can be so bothersome, that you might just junk the idea of eating healthy all together. Ive talked to many people with good physiques who dont count, and Im sure there have been humans who have been well muscled since the beginning of time, and I doubt they all counted calories.

EdgarMex
02-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Actually some people has already told him that, but for some odd reason he doesn't takes on the advice. I'm eating more than him and I'm cutting!

GonePostal
02-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Ban him

raniali
02-18-2003, 11:38 AM
but are u eating icecream for protein?

choosing grapes over tuna when the diet is overall deficient in protein?

Alke
02-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Hey rodent......I suggest you take that list MOOSe has posted here for foods, print it, and STIcK on your refrigerator. Every few hours eat something from each each group and dont worry about counting anything yet....

Im with the others here, where are you getting icecream and grapes as an alternative for protein? when in doubt about what to eat (dinner dont know????) grab a can of tuna and some whole grain bread! That'll do ya just fine :)

rodent500
02-18-2003, 01:58 PM
I had this for lunch:

Ramen noodles, bacon sandwich, milk, ice cream

Isn't bread bad as a snack due to carbs? Is rice pudding or any pudding a good snack or protein? Are you saying I should have a protein as a snack?

Wizard
02-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Hell yea, N-LargIcecream2 is high in whey protein and aminoacids..

The way to go rodent!!

Nitrogrape is also a perfect source of protein especially for faster recovery after an exhausting workout.

Wizard
02-18-2003, 02:03 PM
Yea rice does contain lots of protein but only if it's genetically modified.

EdgarMex
02-18-2003, 02:05 PM
I those foods are Moose's list then they are good protein sources, if they're not there, then you should CAREFULY read the damn list again

Tryska
02-18-2003, 02:06 PM
protein comes int he form of meat and meat by-products. also certain plants, such as soy, beans and lentils.

Wizard
02-18-2003, 02:10 PM
ˇAyúdeme!

El es loco..

Wizard
02-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Hell no!! Don't tell him about soy..

EdgarMex
02-18-2003, 02:14 PM
LOL

Berserker
02-18-2003, 02:21 PM
I had this for lunch:

Ramen noodles, bacon sandwich, milk, ice cream

This is good if it was a quart of milk, spoonful of icecream and 1/2 pound of bacon.
What is hard here? Yes your snacks should have protein. I am thinking every meal should be centered around protein.
Whats all this talk about ice cream? Sumo bulking diet?

raniali
02-18-2003, 02:27 PM
i just have to wonder ... what happened to the trainer's advice he was going to follow?

oooh... i forgot, that was SOOOO last week.

EdgarMex
02-18-2003, 02:39 PM
It's probably in the same place where he put all the WBB's advice

Wizard
02-18-2003, 02:43 PM
lmao

TommyLee
02-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Who helps this guy dress in the morning? His mom? After she has layed his clothes out for him the night before. Maybe he should ask her what to eat. :bang:

beastin v6
02-18-2003, 03:43 PM
rodent,

how old are you?

Wizard
02-18-2003, 03:47 PM
are you a pedophil? tuttut

Cue-Ball
02-18-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by beastin v6
rodent,

how old are you?

I think i remember him saying he's 17. Strange, because i thought that 17 year olds already knew everything. ;)

EdgeCrusher
02-18-2003, 05:01 PM
oh man, rodent - please stop posting this nonsense. everything you say here is common sense and you've just half-way started this whole thing, give it a few months and then ask questions after you've learned what's up.

EdgarMex
02-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Patience is tha name of the game

Berserker
02-18-2003, 05:05 PM
I really wonder if the guy is f$cking with us? Maybe even one of us. Lets not all turn on each other thats what he wants.

Wizard
02-18-2003, 05:07 PM
I go psycho before I get serious..

Mic Soloist
02-18-2003, 05:13 PM

0500-snack???????????
0700-dinner(don't know)

I'm 6 feet 165.

If I ate that much I would be a bloated blimp all day. I simply cannot eat much. My matabilism is so ****in slow. Today I've had a bowl of cereal, a half donut, a nutri grain bar, and baked chip with salsa. I am sitting here now to full to eat dinner, and I haven't eaten in 4 hours.....

I don't know what it is, but I just can't get by eating much.

Wizard
02-18-2003, 05:20 PM
Your diet lacks protein.

NateDogg
02-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist

If I ate that much I would be a bloated blimp all day. I simply cannot eat much. My matabilism is so ****in slow. Today I've had a bowl of cereal, a half donut, a nutri grain bar, and baked chip with salsa. I am sitting here now to full to eat dinner, and I haven't eaten in 4 hours.....

Your diet may be worse than his. :eek:

EdgarMex
02-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Mic Soloist

Man, I could eat that much in one sitting and still be hungry, LOL

rodent500
02-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Here is my meals for today, I may add another later but tell me if its good, oh and I thought diet critqing was a usual thing on this site, guess I did not read that part in your rules.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, bagel,
Lunch: Ramen noodles, bacon sandwich, ice cream, milk
Snack: 2 rice puddings, water, milk
Dinner: 2 turkey sauseges, 2 coos coos and pea servings, angel cake and ice cream

Is this good? Whats a good late snack?

Alke
02-18-2003, 06:49 PM
>>Breakfast: 2 eggs, bagel,
Dinner: 2 turkey sauseges, 2 coos coos and pea servings, angel cake and ice cream<<

I give up, the rest of you can humor him......I know Im not perfect myself but paaaahhhhlease!!!

tallnskinny
02-18-2003, 07:17 PM
ok man, ive been reading your various threads and you just cant take advice even though you apparently are in desparate need of it. everyone has told you to eat 6 meals a day, high protien, complex carb foods. the diet you have outlined, although an improvement over your last is still quiet bad. i can see maybe 2500 cals there, which is not enough in my opinion. aim for 3000-3500 cals. Ditch the Ramen soup, incredible amounts of soduim in those .
Eat; Beef, chicken, eggs, milk, fish, grain bread, take a multi-vitamin, drink lots of water.

use the above foods in a 6 meal diet, its not complicated.
Good Luck

HANSEL
02-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Moose
What I like to do is this........

- Eggs every morning for breakfast
- Cottage Cheese every night before bed
- Fill in all the meals in between with Chicken or Turkey Breast, Tuna Fish, Steak (any lean meat), Fresh Fish (salmon, etc.), and/or Protein Shakes.

There's your protein with each meal.

Use foods from the carb list above to add some carbs with each meal.

Use Flax, Natty PB, Cheese, Olive Oil, Nuts, etc with each meal to get fats when needed.

Well said Moose.

HANSEL
02-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Here is my meals for today, I may add another later but tell me if its good, oh and I thought diet critqing was a usual thing on this site, guess I did not read that part in your rules.

Breakfast: 2 eggs, bagel,
Dinner: 2 turkey sauseges, 2 coos coos and pea servings, angel cake and ice cream

Is this good? Whats a good late snack?
Thats not good! I dont even know what coos coos is but thats the worst dinner I have seen. Your eating Cake and Icecream daily>?

BREAKFAST
3 Eggs + Wheat Bagel w/ Jam
LUNCH
Wheat Turkey Sandwhich w/ cheese and Milk
SNACK
Beef Jerky or String cheese and an apple
DINNER
Chicken taco, beans, 3/4 cup nonfat frozen Yogurt
BED
lowfat cottage cheese or lowfat cheese

its thats easy rodent500

:redface:

beastin v6
02-18-2003, 08:05 PM
One word,

TUNA

is the answer

CBates
02-18-2003, 08:18 PM
HANSEL, this question has nothing to do with the thread, but this thread has went to sh!t anyway.. But is that by chance Sephiroth from Final Fantasy 7 as your avatar?

HANSEL
02-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Wow Good eye CBates, I didnt think anyone could see that.

Each Sephiroth represents a path of ideas, attributes and concepts that one must realise and understand within oneself. Once that is done a person will have reached divine perfection, realised their Inner Christ and so forth. lol

rodent500
02-18-2003, 09:07 PM
Hansel,your aformentioned diet, is that good? That I can easily eat and do, I mean I can really do. I like tuna and eat someimtes too. Hansel, let me know if that diet will work for me, I can really do it.

rodent500
02-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Hansel, 1 more thing for all of you. I find it hard to eat eggs or the same thing every day. Can you provide me with subsities you eat, because you can't have the same lunch and dinner every day. That is the hardest thing, for me, in arranging a diet. If you can confirm Hansel's diet will work for me, and provide or tell me how you vary each day's meal, I can can do something about eating.

bradley
02-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Hansel, 1 more thing for all of you. I find it hard to eat eggs or the same thing every day. Can you provide me with subsities you eat, because you can't have the same lunch and dinner every day. That is the hardest thing, for me, in arranging a diet. If you can confirm Hansel's diet will work for me, and provide or tell me how you vary each day's meal, I can can do something about eating.

You can have the same lunch and dinner everyday, and in fact it will probably be easier to keep up with calories and macronutrients by doing so. :)

Wizard
02-19-2003, 03:54 AM
Hey bradley, you 're a good guy.. not like the others here.

Anyway, how can you eat the same lunch and dinner and especially everyday?
Let me explain what I mean: I cook a chicken (not that I can but anyway).. alright.. It's lunch time and I want to eat the chicken breast.. Alright. Done.. Then it's dinner time 'n I wanna eat the thigh.. Alright. Done.. Then comes the next day... it's lunch time.. 'n I wanna eat the chicken breast.. the SAME.. How can I eat the same lunch since I ate it yesterday???!!! You guys are so confused.. You can't give a simple advice. :cry:

WillKuenzel
02-19-2003, 04:00 AM
:confused: :scratch:

bradley
02-19-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Wizard
Hey bradley, you 're a good guy.. not like the others here.

Anyway, how can you eat the same lunch and dinner and especially everyday?
Let me explain what I mean: I cook a chicken (not that I can but anyway).. alright.. It's lunch time and I want to eat the chicken breast.. Alright. Done.. Then it's dinner time 'n I wanna eat the thigh.. Alright. Done.. Then comes the next day... it's lunch time.. 'n I wanna eat the chicken breast.. the SAME.. How can I eat the same lunch since I ate it yesterday???!!! You guys are so confused.. You can't give a simple advice. :cry:

lol, you know what I mean...:cool: :cool:

raniali
02-19-2003, 09:52 AM
i don't often laugh at diet threads ... but that cracked me up, wiz!

Berserker
02-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by HANSEL

Thats not good! I dont even know what coos coos is but thats the worst dinner I have seen. Your eating Cake and Icecream daily>?

BREAKFAST
3 Eggs + Wheat Bagel w/ Jam
LUNCH
Wheat Turkey Sandwhich w/ cheese and Milk
SNACK
Beef Jerky or String cheese and an apple
DINNER
Chicken taco, beans, 3/4 cup nonfat frozen Yogurt
BED
lowfat cottage cheese or lowfat cheese

its thats easy rodent500

:redface:

3 jumbo eggs is only 24g of protein. Don't know whats in a bagel. I would add some meat or another egg. I would add a glass of milk to every meal. That will boost you 10g a meal.
I guess I am not sure theres enough protein in your diet.

Berserker
02-19-2003, 09:58 AM
If you don't like eggs much, try scrambled with cheese in them, changes them alot.
Also don't have to have breakfast food for breakfast, I've had burgers. As far as limited menu, thats part of weight lifting, unless your a decent cook.
To make this simple choose a core list of items and make sure 1 of them is in atleast 3 meals a day. The other meals should have protein too.
chicken, tuna, burger, steak, turkey, pork, ham. You have one of those atleat 3 times a day you'll be ok. I don't mean a slice of ham lunchmeat or some bastardized chicken product. I mean a big solid piece of meat.

rodent500
02-19-2003, 05:26 PM
whats you opinon on subway footlong subs?

I like their roast beef and steak, will those do some good?

Berserker
02-19-2003, 05:44 PM
I doubt theres enough meat in them. I would have to see the stats. Better then alot of fastfood.
The point many people are making is you need alot of protein, and carbs too. Its not easy thats why most people don't do it. For me the main item in my meals is meat with a carb on the side.

Berserker
02-19-2003, 05:44 PM
By the way $3.00 for a sub, or $.63 for a can of tuna, which in another thread you said was to pricey.

AstronautJones
02-19-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
By the way $3.00 for a sub, or $.63 for a can of tuna, which in another thread you said was to pricey.

Yeah what's up with that?

Behemoth
02-19-2003, 07:38 PM
LMAO, I never laughed so much throughout a thread.

Please post more rodent :D

CBates
02-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by HANSEL
Wow Good eye CBates, I didnt think anyone could see that.

Each Sephiroth represents a path of ideas, attributes and concepts that one must realise and understand within oneself. Once that is done a person will have reached divine perfection, realised their Inner Christ and so forth. lol

LOL, nice quote. Yeah, when I first saw your avatar, I thought it looked familiar. It was hard to see, but the screen shot looked familiar, like right off FFVII (probably favorite video game ever made)..