PDA

View Full Version : EFAs before bed? bad?

_8_Ball
02-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey everyone...

Since I have no way of storing EFA oils at work I was thinking of eating a small amout of walnuts or almonds at work and having a MRP + 1 tbsp of EFA oil about an hour before bed... is that a bad idea?

Thanks,

_8_Ball

gettinjackT
02-17-2003, 03:48 PM
no

CBates
02-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Itís fine, itís better to have fats before bed anyway to keep a full feeling throughout the night.

bradley
02-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Although you can buy fish oil caps that as far as I know do not need to be refrigerated.

AJ_11
02-18-2003, 08:35 AM
I heard that monosaturated and saturated fats are the best before bed, it increases testosterone levels.

LAM
02-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Monosaturated and polyunsaturated fats, yes. Saturated fats no. Saturated fats are considered biologically dead and server no purpose in human nutrition...

AJ_11
02-19-2003, 10:16 AM
I think that there is still some importanace to to saturated fats. The amnt shouldn't be as high. Trans Fats are the one's that you should stay away from.

LAM
02-19-2003, 10:31 AM
name one...

fuzz
02-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Saturated fats have an effect on testosterone levels, I believe.

Will provide sources when I have more time to look around.

Wizard
02-19-2003, 12:29 PM
What I can remember is that Barry Sears, in his "The Zone" book somewhere mentions that having 1/3 of the daily fay intake coming from saturated fat can be benefitial because we need some saturated fat.

What I know is that we need some saturated fat for proper digestive function, growth, and some other processes.It is an essential component of every single cell in our bodies.

Some years ago, a Harvard study1 examined the association of stroke incidence with intake of fat and type of fat during 20 years of follow-up among middle-aged men. Intakes of saturated fat were associated with reduced risk of ischemic stroke in men. The study also showed that the highest incidence of stroke was associated with the most polyunsaturated fat consumption.

1 The study was performed by Dr. Matthew Gillman and coleagues at Harvard Medical School and published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, on December 24, 1997

LAM
02-19-2003, 12:51 PM
your body does not need LDL cholesterol to manufacture test it can use HDL cholesterol.

and referring to fatty acids being used in the construction of cells membranes monosaturated and polyunstaturated fats can take care of that.

bradley
02-19-2003, 01:52 PM
http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/21/saturated_fat2.htm

THis article is interesting if anyone wants to take a look.

raniali
02-19-2003, 02:05 PM
interesting article - but only makes things that much more confusing.

we are all going to die one way or another.

Silverback
02-19-2003, 02:07 PM
fish oil caps rule, i glad i found these little gems, saves using a spoon and bottle :)

fuzz i took liberty to do a bit of research no your behalf on saturated fat and muscle/sports performance. This is taken from;

Anita Bean; Sports Nutrition:

"to achieve peak sports performance and health, you should avoid saturated fats: they provide no positive benefits"

restless
02-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by LAM
Saturated fats are considered biologically dead and server no purpose in human nutrition...

Care to explain this? I am very curious.

restless
02-19-2003, 02:16 PM
This one is also very interesting:

Gary Taubes article. (http://nasw.org/mem-maint/awards/01Taubesarticle1.html)

LAM
02-19-2003, 04:42 PM
the body manufactures saturated fats from chemicals along with cholesterol. so direct inake from diet is not needed.

the link posted by bradley states only states that "cholesterol" is needed. yes cholesterol is needed but it is the carrier of cholesterol makes a difference. high density lipoproteins are a GOOD carrier for cholesterol and low desnity lipoprotiens are a BAD carrier of cholesterol. dietary saturated fats are high in LDL cholesterol

Wizard
02-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Nah.. they are NOT high in ldl cholesterol and how could they be??? Our bodies can turn it (the saturated fat) into cholesterol. The cholesterol which is made by our liver, is the material used to build healthy cells. It is not the oxidized or damaged cholesterol that finds its way inside artery walls, thus, eating saturated fat contributes little, if anything, to the development of atherosclerosis and heart disease.

AJ_11
02-19-2003, 06:19 PM
The Framingham Heart Study is often cited as proof of the lipid hypothesis. This study began in 1948 and involved some 6,000 people from the town of Framingham, Massachusetts. Two groups were compared at five-year intervals-those who consumed little cholesterol and saturated fat and those who consumed large amounts. After 40 years, the director of this study had to admit:

"In Framingham, Mass, the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person's serum cholesterol. . .

We found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active."3 The study did show that those who weighed more and had abnormally high blood cholesterol levels were slightly more at risk for future heart disease; but weight gain and cholesterol levels had an inverse correlation with fat and cholesterol intake in the diet.4

In a multi-year British study involving several thousand men, half were asked to reduce saturated fat and cholesterol in their diets, to stop smoking and to increase the amounts of unsaturated oils such as margarine and vegetable oils.

After one year, those on the "good" diet had 100% more deaths than those on the "bad" diet, in spite of the fact that those men on the "bad" diet continued to smoke! But in describing the study, the author ignored these results in favor of the politically correct conclusion: "The implication for public health policy in the U.K. is that a preventive program such as we evaluated in this trial is probably effective. . . ."5

The U.S. Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial, (MRFIT) sponsored by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, compared mortality rates and eating habits of over 12,000 men. Those with "good" dietary habits (reduced saturated fat and cholesterol, reduced smoking, etc.) showed a marginal reduction in total coronary heart disease, but their overall mortality from all causes was higher.

Similar results have been obtained in several other studies. The few studies that indicate a correlation between fat reduction and a decrease in coronary heart disease mortality also document a concurrent increase in deaths from cancer, brain hemorrhage, suicide and violent death.6

Taken from

http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

True your body can produce it just like Monosaturated that is why it is not considered Essential.

But it comes down to balance. The different types of fats are vital to overall health, also too much of anything is not good for your body. Well except sex.

The key word is balance, also I have read some studies that diets with low saturated fat and monosaturated fats have an effect on testosterone.

LAM
02-20-2003, 12:06 AM
my bad...I meant to say that saturated fats increase the levels of low density lipoproteins and not that they are high in LDL's