PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me with a Vegan diet plan?

EdgeCrusher
02-17-2003, 09:34 PM
I can get just about anything, so please help me out and tell me what you would you would be eating dairly if you were Vegan like me. I want to cut with the diet, and I weigh 218 lbs with a crappy metabolism. If you need any more info, just ask. I really would like to fix up my diet, as 2 pasta bowls plus cereal is NOT a good way to cut.

kook
02-17-2003, 10:32 PM
probably lots of tofu...as a vegan i guess your only protein sources would be soy.. but i think there's alot of meat type substitutes they make from tofu now, my sis eats those boca burgers and tofu meatballs and all that.. might wanna check this website

http://www.geocities.com/alanmcclure3/

although im not a vegeterian or vegan and not an expert,but i have dibble dabbled with it a bit

hemants
02-18-2003, 06:06 AM
Check out www.vegsource.com under the discussion on atheletes. Some pretty good info there.

In brief I would say :

1. cut out sugar and refined bread (whole wheat ok, pasta not bad but eat a fist full not a plate full)

2. you probably get lots of fibre but make sure you get some with each meal (preferrably 5 or 6 meals not 3 big ones)

3. weight train! this is more anti-catabolic than any dietary considerations

4. cut 300-400 calories a day, not more than that

aka23
02-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kook
as a vegan i guess your only protein sources would be soy...

I have seen a lot of posts that make it sounds like proteins are not useful unless they come from complete sources, like animal foods and soy. This is not the case. Incomplete proteins are easily combined to make complete proteins. Complimentary protiens do not need to be consumed in the same meal, but they need to be eaten in the same day. Complete proteins can be formed with plant proteins by eating grains & legumes, grains & nuts, etc. Possible examples include beans and rice; peanut butter and bread; and, tofu, stir-fried vegetables, and rice. There are countless others. Soy protein is complete by itself.

Vegans may have to eat more protein than omnivores due to issues such as combining proteins and digetstibility. However, I believe that most vegans who eat a balanced diet with a wide variety of food sources (whole grains, vegatables, legumes, nuts & seeds, ...) get more than the recommended protein. Also note that vegetarianism is not incompatable with bodybuilding. There have been several successful pro bodybuilders who were vegetarian such as Al Beckles, Andreas Cahling, Louis Freitas, Lindford McFarquar, and Bill Pearl (4x Mr. Universe & Mr. USA).

The largest protein foods in a vegan diet are usally legumes (peas, beans and lentils), nuts, seeds, grains, and vegatebles. As the average protein level in legumes is about 27% of calories; in nuts and seeds 13%; and in grains 12%. Vegatables vary. Many types are about 25%. Some types are much lower.

hemants
02-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Good points aka.

I would add that because of the large carb content (relatively speaking) in a vegan diet, it would be a good idea to keep activity level a bit higher.

FWIW, although not vegetarian, Mike Mentzer always recommended 60/20/20 carbs/protein/fat.

http://www.mikementzer.com/tips.html

raniali
02-18-2003, 03:09 PM
there is a really good book called "Diet for A Small Planet" that basically talks in detail about the complimentation of different plant sources for protein.
i used to be a veggie for 2 yrs before i realized i couldn't eat eggs 6 times a day and grow like i wanted to.