midnight
1 glass of milk w/ weight gainer + multivitiam
1/2 cup of nuts

HANSEL
02-21-2003, 08:27 AM
Need Stats and goals

BennettBoy
02-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Hope you are bulking with all that milk.

HANSEL
02-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by John0101

midnight
1 glass of milk w/ weight gainer + multivitiam
1/2 cup of nuts

I think its safe to assume he's Bulking;)

LAM
02-21-2003, 09:22 AM
more fiber and use a better source of EFA's. nuts are OK but they are not that great. Using flax oil would be MUCH better...

aka23
02-21-2003, 09:58 AM
Your location is Umass Amherst, so I am guessing you are a student. Your diet makes it look like you are skipping breakfast and rushing of to your morning classes. This is a bad idea. Skipping breakfast can intefere with your workouts, your gains, your metabolism, and your general concentration throughout the day.

It looks like you are eating few fruits and vegatables. This puts you at risk for numerous deficiencies. The multiviatmin helps, but it would be best if you ate more vegatables and fruits too, especially the fiberous cruciferous type like broccoli.

Finally, I think your diet is too high in protein. Your body can't use anymore than 1g/lb per day, and studies suggest you probably can't use anymore than .8g/lb per day. There is no point to eating far more than this total. For example your 6pm meal is 3 slices of turkey, 2 slices of fish, 2 glasses of milk, 1 glass of powerade . This meal might be as high as 70% protein and may contain 160g protein, as much as an average sized guy needs in a day.

I would suggest generally eating fewer animal products & milk, and more vegatables & fruits, perhaps more complex carbs as well. Also note that a large portion of Americans would have problems with the amount of milk in your diet due to lactose intolerance and/or alergies.

Manveet
02-21-2003, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about the protein being high.

Chicken nuggets are not the best type of food for anyone. The meat is bad quality, and the breading is no good for you either. You need to eat more cals in the morning. How about some eggs, some whey and oatmeal to start your day off?

John0101
02-21-2003, 12:43 PM
I gained alot of fat with this diet. 152 pounds w/ 13-14% body fat. I don't want to gain anymore fat but want more lean muscle mass. I'll try to eat in the mornings, but it's hard waking up. Milk has given me fat, so I am going to cut down to only 3-4 glasses a day. I try to eat some greens, but I always worry that I am not getting enough protein.

oh yeah, thx for the feedback! :p

Vido
02-21-2003, 01:01 PM
You're having weight gainer right before bed and complaining about getting fat????

If you made one simple adjustment to that diet it would still not be great, but would be improved immensely. Why don't you have the weightgainer for breakfast? That way you are eating (drinking) breakfast, and not loading your body up with simple sugars right before going to sleep.

Other changes: ditch the chicken nuggets and powerade, add in some more EFA's (flax oil, natty pb), and some more low GI carbs (oats, yams, brown/jasmine rice).

One last thing to note. Aka23, don't go spewing off BS about how much protein your body can or cannot use throughout the day. Everyone is different and there have been no studies done on BODYBUILDERS to prove you right or wrong. That being said, I'd rather err on the high side than the low side.

aka23
02-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Vido
One last thing to note. Aka23, don't go spewing off BS about how much protein your body can or cannot use throughout the day. Everyone is different and there have been no studies done on BODYBUILDERS to prove you right or wrong. That being said, I'd rather err on the high side than the low side.

There have been plenty of studies on BODYBUILDERS. Why wouldn't researchers study bodybuilders?

One study using novice bodybuilders determined 1.35 g/kg (or 0.61 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight) was just as good as 2.62 g/kg.
(Lemon, P.W., et al., Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. J Appl Physiol, 1992. 73(2): p. 767-775.)

Another study in Beligium analyzed the effects of protein in bodybuilders found a positive nitrogen balance when protein exceeded 0.57g/lb. (I realize a +nitrogen balance does not necesarily mean optimal level)
(Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O. "Do Regular High Protein Diets Have Potential Health Risks on Kidney Function in Athletes" Int J Sport Nutr 2000 Mar;10(1):28-38 )

One of the pioneers and most well known experts in studying the protein requirements of bodybuliders and other athletes is Peter Lemon (author of first refernced study). He recommends 0.7-1.0 g/lb for adult athletes who are trying to build muscle.

Note that there a small portion of studies that found minor benefits to consuming above Lemon's recommendation. I am skeptical of the methods in these studies, and in some cases the supplementation of anomylous particpants (steroid users can use more protein than non-steroid users).

Consuming extremely high levels of protein is not harmless. Extremely high levels increase risk of dehydration, osteoporosis (via increased calcium excresion), overstressed kidneys, hypertension, some forms of cancer, and of course replacing valuable nutrients from other foods. Note that many of the increased risks I mentioned are not present unless there are large amounts above recommended levels. The second study I mentioned found that athletes could can safely consume as as high much 1.27g/lb without impaired renal function as measured by creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate.

aka23
02-21-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by John0101
I gained alot of fat with this diet. 152 pounds w/ 13-14% body fat. I don't want to gain anymore fat but want more lean muscle mass. I'll try to eat in the mornings, but it's hard waking up. Milk has given me fat, so I am going to cut down to only 3-4 glasses a day. I try to eat some greens, but I always worry that I am not getting enough protein.

I do not think it is specifically the milk that is making you can gain more fat than you would like. It is the large number of calories. If you are gaining more fat than you would like, I would suggest cutting calories and/or increasing activity (cardio). Looking at your diet, you have no reason to be concerned about not getting enough protein. You might very well be over 2g/lb. It is difficult for me to give detailed estimates because I do not know how large "a slice" of turkey or fish is or how much meat is in a turkey sandwich. You might want to enter in your diet at a site like www.fitday.com or www.nat.uiuc.edu/mainnat.html and get an estimate of your protein and calorie intake. These sites will also help you pinpoint possible nutrient deficiencies.