PDA

View Full Version : The Ronnie Coleman video - My thoughts



CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 10:20 AM
1. He is rather large

2. LIIIGHT weight.

3. Um... speed lifting?

4. Thought I was watching an episode of "Cops"

5. Where is it legal to (obviously) pass a drug test and not get caught for steriod usage? Especially if he's a cop...? Or do they not care?

6. KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce IS good stuff!

7. His kevlar vest covers about 8% of his chest.

Ummm... that is all for now :D

Isaac Wilkins
02-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by CollegeBoy

5. Where is it legal to (obviously) pass a drug test and not get caught for steriod usage? Especially if he's a cop...? Or do they not care?



Many law forces are quite lax with their drug tests. Of those who do test, many don't test for juice (it's a different and very expensive test).

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Ahhh. I see. Oh well, doesn't bother me anyways. Was just puzzled.

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 10:58 AM
Oh and I love all the old school rap...snoop and dre... that's in the gym. :dj:

AstronautJones
02-21-2003, 11:03 AM
His gym is old skool. :cool:

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by AstronautJones
His gym is old skool. :cool:

Yeah no kidding! You'd get kicked out of mine for anything above a grunt... let alone dropping the weights :rolleyes: It's a yuppie gym, though. Thankfully I'm not a member anymore. I use the guest feature quite a bit, though ;)

Working out at home is better for me anyways.

AstronautJones
02-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Serious! I seriously wish I could just carelessly chuck the weights like he does, when I finish a set.

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Considering my "gym" is in an upstairs bedroom of this house... I don't think that'd be a good idea for me.

There is one gym in town, the Barbell Club, where you can go ape sh*t if you want to... but I think (kidding) the minimum requirements to get in are a 300lb bench and 500lb squat. I have never seen anyone under the "HUGE" status walk in or out of there.

AstronautJones
02-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CollegeBoy
Considering my "gym" is in an upstairs bedroom of this house... I don't think that'd be a good idea for me.

There is one gym in town, the Barbell Club, where you can go ape sh*t if you want to... but I think (kidding) the minimum requirements to get in are a 300lb bench and 500lb squat. I have never seen anyone under the "HUGE" status walk in or out of there.

LMAO!

ChrisH
02-21-2003, 02:00 PM
Good 'ole chicken.

Shankerr
02-21-2003, 02:27 PM
I have yet to see this vid, but I wanna :(

Big & Tall
02-21-2003, 02:56 PM
Watching this video made me question whether he is even aware of the concept of proper form. Also, I want his cars.

LIIIIIIGGGHHHHT WEIGHT!!!! LIIIIIIGGGHHHT WEIGHT!!!

Shankerr
02-21-2003, 03:05 PM
where did you guys get this vid from?

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Kazaa

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Big & Tall
Watching this video made me question whether he is even aware of the concept of proper form.

EXACTLY. It looks like he was doing everything "half-way"

Like the lunges near the end of the video... um... I usually touch my knee almost to the ground... he barely bent his.

Puzzling.

Isaac Wilkins
02-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by CollegeBoy


EXACTLY. It looks like he was doing everything "half-way"

Like the lunges near the end of the video... um... I usually touch my knee almost to the ground... he barely bent his.

Puzzling.

Yeah, after hearing so much about the "Ronnie Coleman Parking Lot Lunges" I was very disappointed. That being said, you're not going to see me doing that.

I've addressed my issues with his form in another thread, but I am blown away (in a negative way) watching him work out.

Oh, and if he wasn't who he is, I'd bet that his ass would be out of that gym in a second, dropping weights like that. tuttut

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Doesn't dropping the bar like that REALLY stress the bar... maybe to the point that it would eventually break during use?

Big & Tall
02-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Doesn't dropping the bar like that REALLY stress the bar... maybe to the point that it would eventually break during use?

Actually, I don't think so. It is terrible for the plates, since they are taking an impact load, but I think the bar would only really see an inertial load due to its own weight. This is because the plates are hitting the ground and basically absorbing the impact, not transferring it to the bar.

Isaac Wilkins
02-21-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by CollegeBoy
Doesn't dropping the bar like that REALLY stress the bar... maybe to the point that it would eventually break during use?

Anything of that nature does. He could bend DB's, scar up the floor (I think they actually show a shot of damage he's done to the floor), chip up the plates, etc.

It's also loud and annoying, just like Ronnie.

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Big & Tall


Actually, I don't think so. It is terrible for the plates, since they are taking an impact load, but I think the bar would only really see an inertial load due to its own weight. This is because the plates are hitting the ground and basically absorbing the impact, not transferring it to the bar.

True... but the bar has to take a lot of stress from that. Both sides probably dono't hit the floor at exactly the same time...

Big & Tall
02-21-2003, 03:29 PM
Yeah, if that is the case, it will put some stress on the bar, but I think the plates are still seeing the worst of it.

bigkevin20
02-21-2003, 03:29 PM
My gift to you all its not the whole video. But every thing yall mentioned is in hear at least.

http://www.ronniecoleman.com/multimedia/video/unbelievable.htm

Silverback
02-21-2003, 03:42 PM
Buy the vid! at least it will help ronnie out:)

on the subject of dropping the bar, i did this at my old gym on the bench press and the bar bent like a golf club head does! The owner didn't mind cos we get on well. Dont ask me how it happened cos it was a bit of a freak accident

CollegeBoy
02-21-2003, 04:04 PM
There is a lot of stress placed on the bar... belive me.

AstronautJones
02-21-2003, 04:14 PM
I agree that it seemed as though he was doing everything "half-assed".

Except for the 800 lb. deadlift.

Well okay, the front squats were pretty impressive too.

Big & Tall
02-21-2003, 05:43 PM
I do have to give some props on the 800 lb dead and the effing heavy front squats, but for the most part, he didn't even seem to have that much intensity--seems like he gave up early on most exercises.

Isaac Wilkins
02-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Big & Tall
I do have to give some props on the 800 lb dead and the effing heavy front squats, but for the most part, he didn't even seem to have that much intensity--seems like he gave up early on most exercises.

I'd give him 1.5 deads with 802 or whatever it was. He had a very hearty bounce on the second rep.

Bah! Ronnie and his 1.5 deads. Pshhh. :hide:

Rock
02-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Borris, squatting is a matter of taste, some people dont ATF some do.

Isaac Wilkins
02-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Rock
Borris, squatting is a matter of taste, some people dont ATF some do.

I don't think I mentioned his squats. :scratch:

I said I wasn't impressed by the depths of his lunges, as they're about six inches deep.

His front squat depth is actually pretty decent for the amount of weight he does.

BCC
02-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Doing lunges in his fashion is actually very difficult. Much tougher than conventional lunches where the knee touches.

Isaac Wilkins
02-22-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
Doing lunges in his fashion is actually very difficult. Much tougher than conventional lunches where the knee touches.

Really? Is it because of the more constant tension?

Black_Curtain
02-22-2003, 07:46 AM
His form is usually just fine.

Rock
02-22-2003, 08:26 AM
no but like people complaining about pros exercise form, come on...find something better to use.

Isaac Wilkins
02-22-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Rock
no but like people complaining about pros exercise form, come on...find something better to use.

I have no problem with how they do things. Obviously it's working for them.

My only concern is for those who are very inexperienced watching some of the technique, emulating it, and getting hurt.

"This is how Ronnie does it! *snap* "

As for "finding something better to use", I assume you mean that we're being petty. See my above paragraph, and to that I'll add: People started this (and a couple of other threads) with the idea of commenting on the video. That's part of the video. Yes, there were other things to comment on, and those have mostly been hit, too.

Rock
02-22-2003, 09:26 AM
ok, aight aight, I get it!! easy there !, hehe.

yeah I know, but form hasnt really so much to say when it comes to actually growing, I think its 80% of what you eat, as long as you train hard, you will grow, there is not anything more to it.

Isaac Wilkins
02-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Rock
ok, aight aight, I get it!! easy there !, hehe.

yeah I know, but form hasnt really so much to say when it comes to actually growing, I think its 80% of what you eat, as long as you train hard, you will grow, there is not anything more to it.

Sorry. I got away from myself a little. ;)

I agree for the most part. I'm all about the heavy lifestyle gains as well as they perfect gym form. Farmers, construction workers, etc. If they eat well, many of them end up with pretty solid physiques.

Rock
02-22-2003, 09:35 AM
true this, my Grandfather who is 78, actually has quite muscular forearms, and he was a machine man in cargo boats for 60years.

BCC
02-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Borris


Really? Is it because of the more constant tension?

Yep, it's killer on the glutes.

tryingtobebig
02-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Just watched the video....that is some impressive stuff.

LIGHT WEIGHT!

Buff
02-25-2003, 01:26 AM
this is my favorite lifting video ever. I saw it today, and man Ronnie Coleman is so cool. It's so funny how he's talking about how much he lifts each time, LOL. I think it's awesome that he's still a cop too. BOO!

Gyno Rhino
02-25-2003, 08:58 AM
He is NOT still a cop. He gave that up a few years back.

fuzz
02-25-2003, 10:42 AM
I was pretty impressed with the 805 dead and the front squats. It looks as if he could actually compete in powerlifting if he trained for it with the gear and all that. I bet he would be good for at least 850 for the dead, 800 for a squat, and a 500 bench. At least a 2000 total.

Isaac Wilkins
02-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by fuzz
I was pretty impressed with the 805 dead and the front squats. It looks as if he could actually compete in powerlifting if he trained for it with the gear and all that. I bet he would be good for at least 850 for the dead, 800 for a squat, and a 500 bench. At least a 2000 total.

Seeing as he was pressing 200 lb dumbells for like eight reps, I'd feel confident with him handling a bench comfortably above 500 pounds, assuming that he knew how to use a shirt.

If I remember correctly, he did compete as a powerlifter before he went in to bodybuilding, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has the skill to transfer over well.

fuzz
02-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Right. I'm assuming Ronnie could compete in the IPF with no problem, as I believe they have little or no drug testing. I can imagine how all the powerlifting purists would be up in arms, though.

Gyno Rhino
02-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Heh, in his weight division, he'd get slaughtered by the really strong boys, though.

Silverback
02-25-2003, 03:14 PM
lol, the vid is great and ronnie is a beast.

But his voice was so unexpected, i was wating to hear this beaming super hero like voice, he then starts talking and he sounds, well 'normal' :) (major dissapointment)

CollegeBoy
02-25-2003, 03:41 PM
He sounds like Tyson.

Isaac Wilkins
02-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Heh, in his weight division, he'd get slaughtered by the really strong boys, though.

That's true, but I'm sure a year of powerlifting eating and training could help him come up to speed. He'd compete at 350+, I'm sure.

I doubt Frank would be worried, but...


Of course, chances are good he'd die of a heart attack before competing. :p

fuzz
02-25-2003, 09:04 PM
350+ is just super heavy weight, right? There is also a 242 - 308 division, though?

:confused:

mstar
02-26-2003, 07:49 AM
All i got to say is that ronnie's training is tailored by himself after YEARS of learning what his body responds to. beginners run and do his routines (exactly) not learning the basics. But i agree some of his exercises seem wrong :confused: when u look at books and websites...anyway just thought i say DO WHATEVER U FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH, just remember to think correct posture etc... to minimise injury