PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at cutting

ccr
02-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Whatsup guys

I've decided to get into a cutting cycle until i'm back to my old waist size of 32. I put on 2 inches from my bulking cycle and my new pants are starting to get tighter.

I'm 5'10 and hovering arnd 180lbs. I'm taking in abt 2800cals for bulking so i plan to drop it to 2500, add in 3 days of moderate cardio and see how it goes. I want to lose fat as slowly as possible to avoid muscle loss. Will lower cals further if 2500 isnt low enough.

Food ratio will be 40% protein / 30% carbs and 20 in fats. Carbs will be consumed before 7pm and no dairy products.

Hopefully i'll be able to fit into my old pants by 2 months.

What do you guys think of this plan?

:)

restless
02-22-2003, 02:40 AM
I think it's prudent not to lower cals too much but personaly I wouldn't add cardio at the same time. To me, that would mean major muscle catabolism, but I guess it depends on how you react to it.

Other than that, do not worry about carbs before 7 pm, it won't make any measurable difference.

ccr
02-22-2003, 02:51 AM
thanks for the advice restless. Would it be better if i lower my cals a 300-500cals below maintainence and no cardio? Or keep cals at maintainence and add 3 days of cardio?

bradley
02-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by ccr
thanks for the advice restless. Would it be better if i lower my cals a 300-500cals below maintainence and no cardio? Or keep cals at maintainence and add 3 days of cardio?

What about eating at maintenance and performing cardio and see what kind of results you get and then start to drop cals in small increments. Basically just don't do both at the same time, which as restless said could end up in LBM losses.

Also you said that your macronutrient ratios are 40/30/20. What about the other 10%? Good luck with the cut.

restless
02-22-2003, 04:52 AM
This article explains it quite well:

Bryan Haycock article on cardio. (http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/cardio-and-precontest-dieting.htm)

It kind of goes along what Bradley just posted.

ccr
02-22-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by bradley

What about eating at maintenance and performing cardio and see what kind of results you get and then start to drop cals in small increments. Basically just don't do both at the same time, which as restless said could end up in LBM losses.

Also you said that your macronutrient ratios are 40/30/20. What about the other 10%? Good luck with the cut.

Opps, my math sucks. :) Its suppose to be 40/30/30

ccr
02-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by restless
This article explains it quite well:

Bryan Haycock article on cardio. (http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/cardio-and-precontest-dieting.htm)

It kind of goes along what Bradley just posted.

very interesting article. So its better if i bulked for a month more, then do cardio for 2-4 weeks without allowing my weight to drop?

I only start reducing my cals once cardio is in full swing?

Anyone tried this before?

bradley
02-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ccr

very interesting article. So its better if i bulked for a month more, then do cardio for 2-4 weeks without allowing my weight to drop?

I only start reducing my cals once cardio is in full swing?

Anyone tried this before?

I usually eat at maintenance and create a caloric deficit through cardio. Once weight loss plateaus then I will cut calories a little.

ccr
02-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Thats cool bradley. I will be doing the same as well. hate my gut

ccr
02-24-2003, 09:58 AM
one more thing, is it neccessary to use supplements to aid in fat loss? Like NYC or ECA

bradley
02-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ccr
one more thing, is it neccessary to use supplements to aid in fat loss? Like NYC or ECA

No they are not neccessary but they can be helpful. I personally don't use them but many people do.

ccr
02-24-2003, 10:18 PM
I plan to do brisk walking 3-4 times weekly as cardio. Is it too low in intensity? I read that running is a good way of losing muscle mass

Ironman8
02-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by ccr
I plan to do brisk walking 3-4 times weekly as cardio. Is it too low in intensity? I read that running is a good way of losing muscle mass

You should up the anti a little. Try jogging at a slowpace for 10 mintues and walking after that(or whatever you can handle).

As for running, I run regularly at 7.0 per hour for 30 minutes and I don't see any muscle mass. But I would do some research on that topic if I were you.

Ironman8
02-24-2003, 10:47 PM
I mean I don't see any loss in muscle mass.