PDA

View Full Version : Keto Diet question..

Footballguy
02-21-2003, 09:18 PM
OK ive been on this diet for 4 days now and im pretty sure im in ketosisis, but i dont understand wat i do this weekend with the carbs?? WBB KETO EXPLAINATION (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=45) If u go down to sat. and sun. it explains what to do in terms of the weekend but can someone explain this to me a little better like give some examples of foods i should eat..the liquid is that like alot of gatorade or soda?? Thanks so much

-FBG

bradley
02-22-2003, 04:30 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22807&highlight=glycogen+supercompensation

During the first 24 hours of the cab load higher GI carbs would be preferred, and then start consuming lower GI carbs over the next 24 hours. Fat should be kept at about 15% as well as protein.

I wouldn't consider soda a good source of high GI carbs.

http://www.cchs.net/health/health-info/docs/1400/1467.asp?index=6390

At the bottom of the above link there are some foods grouped into high/moderate/low GI. That might help you decide on some food choices. Kids cereal would be one of the favorites around here. Stuff like Count Chocula, Lucky Charms, etc.

raniali
02-24-2003, 09:54 AM
personally - i would really limit my first carb-up to no more than 36 hrs. u will be ravenously hungry the entire time, feel like a bloated pig and possibly be super-lethargic. if you over do the carbup, you are back at square one. you can adjust the carb up next week to more or less (48-24 hrs) if you don't feel completely replenished or too stuffed.

Footballguy
02-26-2003, 03:40 PM
So its ok to only carb up one day u can still get the energy u need??? N plus it would prolly make me loose weight faster right..So far 5 punds lost in 10 days on this diet so i m ust be doin something right

bradley
02-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Footballguy
So its ok to only carb up one day u can still get the energy u need??? N plus it would prolly make me loose weight faster right..So far 5 punds lost in 10 days on this diet so i m ust be doin something right

A shorter carb-up would lead to more time in ketosis which generally means a greater amount of fat loss. Although if you only preform your carb up over one day that means you will have lower levels of glycogen which could affect your training. I would try it both ways and see what works best for you.

Bryan
02-26-2003, 04:52 PM
I found doing 24 hour carbups work best for me, I basically just stuff myself full of carbs all day, low protien/fat tho. Oh ya, make sure to keep your water intake high also.

Footballguy
02-26-2003, 07:31 PM
Maybe ill just do one weekend with it 2 days and one with it 1 day u know just go back and fourth..... Also are nitrates bad on a low carb diet like bacon? O and does everyone else have trace carbs 2 days a week trace meaning barley any i find that impossible because almost everything has carbs..eggs,ham, cheese, all of these things have a gram so its impossible to have almost zero. Im getting under 20 every day tho is that ok? im also 16 is there any modifications i should be making?
-FBG

bradley
02-27-2003, 02:32 AM
As long as you keep up with the trace carbs and count them towards your daily total then you should be fine. Bacon is ok while on keto, and you may also find it helpful to get some of your fat in the form of oils (olive, flax, fish oil, etc.).

Footballguy
03-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Im doing awsome on this keto diet its amazing almost 10 pounds in 3 weeks...anyway i do notice my weights are falling and i still lack energy it may be a iron diffeciency so ill try iron pills for that but im still worried bout my weights..Im not lifting as good as i used to, i was taking creatine for a while but that was b4 this diet so do u think it would make a diffrence if i started that while im on this diet...??

-FBG

bradley
03-05-2003, 04:16 PM
It would be fine to take creatine while performing a ketogenic diet. Although absorbtion will not be as high because creatine is known to be asbsorbed by the body better when taking with high GI carbs. Just make sure that when you carb load you are taking your creatine as well. I would load the creatine during the carb load and then the high intake of meats that accompanies a ketogenic diet should help maintain creatine in your muscles.

What does your training schedule look like? Are you working out the two days following the carb load? How many cals are you taking in (roughly)? What does your typical carb load look like? With this info might help explain why your strength is decreasing rapidly. I doubt it is an iron deficiency but I could be wrong.

aka23
03-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Footballguy
i still lack energy it may be a iron diffeciency so ill try iron pills

What makes you think it is an iron defficiency? I think iron supplements are a bad idea unless you know you have an iron defficiency.

Adult men and post-menopausal women lose very little iron except through bleeding. Iron suplements are usually not recommended for men unless they are known to be iron deficient. High levels of iron can increase heart attack risk, cancer risk, and lead to other medical problems. One a day and other multivitamen/minerals that make forumulas specifically for men usually exclude iron. You may already getting a good amount of iron supplememts in other foods, such as breakfast cereal or energy bars. Furthermore keto diets usually contain many iron-rich foods, such as meats.

If you are very concerned about your iron levels, I suggest asking your doctor for a blood test. He may also have some explanations for your lack of energy. I think that the lack of energy is likely to be related to your low calories and low carb intake, rather than specific minerals. I suspect that you will feel better after returning to a balanced diet and maintenance calorie intake.

Some references for the above can be found at http://www.menweb.org/alexiron.htm

Footballguy
03-05-2003, 05:05 PM
I lift with my football team so i really dont have a choice on when i can lift. I dont like this workout nor do i like the schedule we are doing but i lift on Mon, Wed, and thurs. Again that can't be changed. Before this week the schedule was mon,tues,thur,friday..which was good b/c i loaded up on the weekend...im sure my load up needs to be changed if u have any suggestions. My calorie intake is roughly 2100 cals a day. I feel i may have low levels of iron b/c a while ago i was really low says my doc. He said i was so low i was anemic so i had to take a supplement for iron. I felt real tired bak then when i was like that so i figure they may be drooping again b/c im drained. Its weird im really drained alot now and i dunt think its the diet im going into my third week now. My carb load ups around 650-700 grams on saturdays and round 300 on sundays on sundays its more like fruit and pasta.

My stats:

Weight:180
Height:5'11"
Estimated BF%:20-22%

Goals from this diet... i want to loose the stupid fat like the gut and arms and leg fat. I want my bf% to be around 6-8% real bad i need those abs to show through.

-Thanks
FBG

bradley
03-06-2003, 02:28 AM
The strength decrease is probably due to your diet. Your body is probably depleted of muscle glycogen by the time you get to your Thurs. and Fri. workouts. Have you thought about a TKD which centers carb intake around training? This would probably work better in since you don't have a choice on when you can train.

Footballguy
03-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Wats a tkd and my schedules mon, weds,thurs
-FBG

raniali
03-06-2003, 04:06 PM
targeted ketogenic diet
eating carbs immediately surrounding your workouts (both before and after)
but total ketogenic at all other times -- therefore no weekly carb binges although it isn't a bad idea to refeed every few weeks

Footballguy
03-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Nah i dunt wanna chnge what im doing now its going so good... Ill just wait it out for the next few weeks til im done loosing the weight i wanted to loose. im sure ill be fine