PDA

View Full Version : DXoes Beer Really Mess up Your Muscle Mass or cause U to Lose Muscle??

Mic Soloist
02-21-2003, 10:44 PM
I heard this and I prey its not true.

throwerboy
02-21-2003, 11:38 PM
beer=hang overs
hang overs= bad workouts and dehydration
beer=fat
fat= low testosterone
low testosterone = poor muscle gains

dont kid youself.

(oh unless your scottish, then its fine)

LAM
02-21-2003, 11:52 PM
alcohol and bodybuilding do not go together....pick one or the other

restless
02-22-2003, 02:37 AM
Finally someone with some sense on this forum.....

And add to the list above the hindering protein synthesis properties of alcohol.

kAiXuan
02-22-2003, 02:57 AM
dont believe the hype, drinking moderatly is not bad-
just dont be lazy and slack off

bradley
02-22-2003, 05:06 AM
I think it is safe to say it is not beneficial in any way. I usually have a couple of drinks on Saturday night and leave it at that. I am sure that you can still make gains while drinking but I think your gains would be better if not drinking.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-22-2003, 06:36 AM
All in moderation.

getting plonked every night isn't good.

But the weekend drink won't murder your gains.

Berserker
02-22-2003, 10:19 AM
It doesn't help but it sure won't cause you to lose muscle. As far as getting fat its all matter of how active you are. Alot of getting fat when drinking is the junk people eat when drunk. I enjoy both drinking and weigh lifting. I definitly disagree on one or the other, do you want to be a fat drunk?

Shao-LiN
02-22-2003, 12:45 PM
It does inhibit protein synthesis. So I would be cautious about when you drink in relation to your workouts.

Mic Soloist
02-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
It does inhibit protein synthesis. So I would be cautious about when you drink in relation to your workouts.

I ran like 4 miles yesterday and then had about 8 beers last night. Today I'm gonna run somemore and lift for a while so I think I'm alright.

Berserker
02-22-2003, 01:54 PM
It may hinder protein syntheis but does not stop it. If it did I would never grow. I make a point to eat my daily protein before drinking. Not sure what happens to the protein you eat while drinking.

LAM
02-22-2003, 03:02 PM
Alcohol severely impedes the digestion of proteins...most is wasted

smalls
02-22-2003, 03:59 PM
I agree with TCD. Even though I have only drank once in my life about 3 years ago, and will never again. I am sure the difference in gains, for someone who actually knows what they are doing, will be negligable.

Saint Patrick
02-22-2003, 04:13 PM
ok, someone was gonna say this sooner or later...........

Smoke weed instead :smoke:

LAM
02-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Regular alcohol consumption will have less effect on gains for someone with high test and gh levels them another with low levels...If the person already has trouble gaining mass and/or strength then the addition of alcohol obviously will not help

DC Hardgainer
02-25-2003, 11:45 PM
alcohol is the biggest test supresant known to man, vit.C should be taken before and after drinking....anything over 3 units (shot,beer, mixed drink,ect) will lower test, no bull****. btw...i heard that marijuana can cause slight estogenic effects...however i have looked and not been able to find any studies or data to back it. but i can tell you from experience that when i smoked everyday i never worked out. i smoke everyonce and awhile and see no difference in training. o yeah, and screw all thoes anti-drug commercials, they are just prapaganda.

DC Hardgainer
02-25-2003, 11:49 PM
estogenic? my bad, i ment estrogenic. just so yall dont get me wrong, "i don't do drugs, just weed."

Dkm911
02-26-2003, 12:59 AM
a couple beers on the weekend cant hurt that bad... after all a can of bush lite has .8 grams of protein and like 100 calories... if u lift monday-wed-friday, how badly would drinking friday night and maybe saturday if u kept your diet in check and didnt over do it.
I never get hang overs either because i force myself to drink a ton of water b4 going to bed.

Vido
02-26-2003, 01:06 AM
Personally I find that my gains in the gym are much more pronounced if I take some time off drinking. However, unlike you Dkm911, when I drink, I drink A LOT. I think a "couple beers" on the weekend would have a negligible effect at best. I don't really see the point in this though. I prefer to follow the motto "Go big or go home", or translated into drinking terms "drink to get drunk or don't bother".

IceRgrrl
02-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
All in moderation.

getting plonked every night isn't good.

But the weekend drink won't murder your gains.

:withstupi

It's all a matter of how much and how often. A few beers here and there or wine with dinner isn't going to reverse all your gains, despite what some of the extremists might say. It depends on your goals as well. Unless you're a competing BB who's getting paid to do everything 100% perfectly, I don't think it's worth it to give up all your indulgences and live a monk-like existence...

Berserker
02-26-2003, 09:56 AM
IceR-put it good, unless you make your living off yoour body, don't worry so much. I have been drinking less, and I attibute the to weight lifting and wanting to be fit. I try not to to drink on days I lift, to make sure I get enough protein. I lift later in the day, so thats part of it too.

For me and lot of people its not the booze but what you eat, that makes you fat. In college I was eating big before the bar and then again when I got home. Put on weight. Now I still eat but less.
The other bad thing is what you eat when drinking.

BUFF STUFF
02-26-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by LAM
alcohol and bodybuilding do not go together....pick one or the other

:withstupi

Drinking & BBing should not be a choice!

Lift 3-5 times a week and get drunk at the weekend

have a laugh,
shag women,
scream at old people
Live!

djreef
02-27-2003, 08:52 AM
If drinking lowers testosterone, then why am I soooooo horny the morning after drinking?

DJ
= 8-->{I>

Stray
02-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Actually I heard your body gets flooded with test (that's why both males and females get horny and/or aggressive when intoxicated) but to counter it, your body then releases a flood of estrogen to balance the scales.

I may be wrong but that's my layman's understanding of it.

EDIT: http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh22-3/220.pdf

Here's a paper on alcohol's estrogenic effect on people that's suggesting it's due to alcohol containing phytoestrogens....

BUFF STUFF
03-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Vido
"drink to get drunk or don't bother".

now thats what Im talking about!

Berserker
03-14-2003, 01:45 PM
go to failure

Vido
03-14-2003, 01:47 PM
LOL