PDA

View Full Version : Who is a vegetarian?

Celestial
02-22-2003, 11:23 AM
I just decided to become one today after much debate and research. I feel it fits my lifestyle and preferances more. Anyone else one or enjoy it?

Frozenmoses
02-22-2003, 01:37 PM
I was for a year and a half, and I hated it. I was born an omnivore, I'll die one. Best of luck to you, though.

Berserker
02-22-2003, 01:46 PM
I don't hate plants, I prefer to let them live.

TurboStu
02-22-2003, 03:01 PM
vegetarian- an old Indian saying for "poor hunter". No offense meant to anyone. In honesty though, I think you are going to find it to be pretty difficult to bodybuild and be a vegetarian at the same time, seems like they don't coincide very well together, but the best of luck to you!

Celestial
02-22-2003, 03:19 PM
I dont want to body build and if anyone was well educated enough, they would know you can maintain a diet just as high in protein etc etc with substitutes. People have been giving me negativity about the decision. i have several friend who are vegetarians who are in awesome shape.....

Mic Soloist
02-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Celestial
I just decided to become one today after much debate and research. I feel it fits my lifestyle and preferances more. Anyone else one or enjoy it?

I don't eat red meat at all but I eat turkey, seafood, chicken, and other stuff.

Berserker
02-22-2003, 06:27 PM
I dont want to body build and if anyone was well educated enough, they would know you can maintain a diet just as high in protein etc etc with substitutes. People have been giving me negativity about the decision. i have several friend who are vegetarians who are in awesome shape.....
People are just going to assume you want to lift weights since you posted it on this site. Sure you can do it, but it is more difficult. Personally I think you lowered yourself on the food chain, but good luck.

Trunks
02-22-2003, 06:31 PM
I'm a vegetarian and i've gained 16 pounds of muscle so far, so i must be doing something right.
You can get enough protein on a veggie diet, you just have to pay attention to what you're eating

Celestial
02-22-2003, 07:36 PM
I lowered myself on the food chain? So what is Chase going to eat me for breakfast now? We don't live in a hunt to kill society. I don't have to kill or search for berries.....man I cant believe the responses I am getting lol. I actualy decided today to go vegan. I dont see how it would affect me, when you can eat the same caloric intake, protein etc etc.....

GuitarPlayer
02-22-2003, 07:36 PM
i'm vegan and it is hard to get enough food, let alone protein, for the first 6 months. after a year it's basically smooth sailing. i have gained about 5 lbs of muscle in as many months (135 - 140) as a 100% vegan. sure it's hard but that makes it a sweet challenge.

o yes, and i never have to worry about tainted or spoiled meat, or mad cow disease, or salmonella, or high cholesterol, or anything like that. shibby.

good luck celestial and all other prospective vegetarians/vegans. it is worth it. plus i can take a dump in about 15 seconds flat. ha.

kook
02-22-2003, 08:28 PM
for about a year and a half i was pretty much a vegetarian(and lost about 100+lbs or so), it was hard for me especially when i went out to eat to not eat some meat, i really dont like red meat but i craved chicken all the time.

might want to check some articles on drastically moving from a meat eater to a strict vegan diet... and what happens to hormone levels... they will adjust after awhile, that being said the same thing will happen for people moving from a strict vegan diet to a meat eater(hormone levels out of whack for a bit)

Short N Buff
02-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by TurboStu
vegetarian- an old Indian saying for "poor hunter".

hahahaha

Short N Buff
02-22-2003, 08:52 PM
IMO theres no reason to eat vegetarian unless its ur religious belief.

Paul Stagg
02-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Celestial -

You've made incredible progress over the time you've been posting here.

The idea that a vegetarian (no meat) diet is somehow healthier is something you should revisit.

If you have a moral reason for not wanting to eat meat, then do what you have to do.. but if you want to eat a healthy balanced diet that will most enable you to meet your goals and remain healthy, I suggest you rethink your position.

I know people who are in fantastic shape who smoke cigarettes. Shall I start smoking again?

Celestial
02-22-2003, 09:14 PM
Lemme ask a question. I have done a ton of resarch on this. If you get EXACTLY the same amount of cals, nutrients etc, how can it be any different? Please explain how it could possibly make a difference in a negative aspect.

EdgeCrusher
02-22-2003, 10:05 PM
Celestial, I'm Vegan and Very Pro-Animal Rights. I can't and don't really want to poke holes in all the stuff said against you, but in a week (when i can type - i really hurt my hand), please im RobertHaynes2002 and we can talk about anything you need help on and answers to all the arguments you encounter.

thank you for going veggie!

Saint Patrick
02-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Good luck C!!!!

AJ_11
02-23-2003, 03:23 AM
There is nothing wrong with being a vegan, IMO it is a choice of lifestyle. Just like eating meat. I want to ask though why are you thinking about this lifestyle change, is it for health or just you don't want to eat animals.

Mystic Eric
02-23-2003, 06:41 AM
Ya, why the sudden change? Is it for moral reasons? And for you other vegans out there, why do you choose to be vegans?

restless
02-23-2003, 07:22 AM
No matter how vegetarian you are, you're still contributing to the slaughter of animals. Millions of snakes, rats and other small mammals, not to mention bugs and worms, die every year victims of the machines used to harvest cereal crops. Every time you wash your hands or clean your kitchen you're commiting a genocide of many microscopic life forms, so were do you draw the line?

I went crazy thinking on this stuff and by the end I quit vegetarianism, I was in it because I believed it was healthier, now I don't believe that anymore.

Anyone thiking of taking such decision should try to see the whole picture and listen to both sides. I recommend reading g.com. These are people that have been through it too before.

Celestial
02-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Serioulsy animal products always did a number on my stomach like I wasnt supposed to be eating them anyways. Also, i did my research and I dont agree with a lot of things. It also turned my stomach and I have no desire to eat meat etc anymore.

Shao-LiN
02-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Nothing wrong with it. You can supplement with protein and what not. But if it's for "health" benefits, a perfectly balanced diet with chicken or fish would be healthier IMO.

Mystic Eric
02-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Serioulsy animal products always did a number on my stomach like I wasnt supposed to be eating them anyways. Also, i did my research and I dont agree with a lot of things. It also turned my stomach and I have no desire to eat meat etc anymore.

Well if it messes with your digestive track I understand but if you were gonna say for moral reasons, I'd have to fire some ammo at ya ;)

GuitarPlayer
02-23-2003, 05:35 PM
there are many who think that a veg/vegan diet is silly. as celetial said, it makes your digestive system feel clean and smooth.

also i don't think that most people know about the destruction the animal consumption industry causes to this earth and how many world hunger and pollution problems could be solved by a switch to an efficient meat free world, or at least a world where meat is consumed like the native americans used to do it. you can look up the statistics yourself.

i am vegan because i think we have no right to end the lives of animals for our own pleasure, and because i do not wish to contribute to the destruction of this earth.

_-_v_-_
02-23-2003, 05:53 PM
because i do not wish to contribute to the destruction of this earth.

Read this book: The Skeptical Environmentalist.

Berserker
02-23-2003, 06:35 PM
I wrote a paper in college for an ehtic class on not feeding the world. In my research I read how meat is bad becuase first you must grow food for the animal, then feed it to the animal. The article claimed this food should go to people instead. I get the point. But I don't think this will cure world hunger. People aren't going hungry cause there grain went to cows.
I won't stop anyone from beng a vegitarian, wolves would go hungry without sheep. If you can't bring yourself to eat an animal I don't think you will be able to exert control over much in this world. Has there ever been any great leaders that are vegitarians? Just curious.

Mystic Eric
02-23-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by GuitarPlayer
there are many who think that a veg/vegan diet is silly. as celetial said, it makes your digestive system feel clean and smooth.

also i don't think that most people know about the destruction the animal consumption industry causes to this earth and how many world hunger and pollution problems could be solved by a switch to an efficient meat free world, or at least a world where meat is consumed like the native americans used to do it. you can look up the statistics yourself.

i am vegan because i think we have no right to end the lives of animals for our own pleasure, and because i do not wish to contribute to the destruction of this earth.

ok you made me do this:

read this http://maddox.xmission.com/grill.html

Vido
02-23-2003, 06:44 PM
LOL

PowerManDL
02-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Farming the land to grow mass quantities of crops for us to eat also destroys the Earth.

I think we should just quit eating all together, because things like maintaining basic life functions might hurt the feelings of the environment.

*hugs a tree*

Mystic Eric
02-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by GuitarPlayer

lol here are some quotes from the maddox site:

about your "we have no right to end the lives of animals for our own pleasure"

What pisses me off so much about this phrase is the sheer narrow-mindedness of these stuck up vegetarian assholes. You think you're saving the world by eating a tofu-burger and sticking to a diet of grains and berries? Well here's something that not many vegetarians know (or care to acknowledge): every year millions of animals are killed by wheat and soy bean combines during harvesting season (source). Oh yeah, go on and on for hours about how all of us meat eaters are going to hell for having a steak, but conveniently ignore the fact that each year millions of mice, rabbits, snakes, skunks, possums, squirrels, gophers and rats are ruthlessly murdered as a direct result of YOUR dieting habits. What's that? I'm sorry, I don't hear any more elitist banter from you pompous cocks. Could it be because your **** has been RUINED?

That's right: the gloves have come off. The vegetarian response to this embarrassing fact is "well, at least we're not killing intentionally." So let me get this straight; not only are animals ruthlessly being murdered as a direct result of your diet, but you're not even using the meat of the animals YOU kill? At least we're eating the animals we kill, not just leaving them to rot in a field somewhere. That makes you far more morally repugnant than any meat-eater any day. Not only that, but you're killing free-roaming animals, not animals that were raised for feed. Their bodies get mangled in the combine's machinery, bones crushed, and you have the audacity to point fingers at the meat industry for humanely punching a spike through a cow's neck? If you think that tofu burgers come at no cost to animals or the environment, guess again.

To even suggest that your meal is some how "guiltless" is absurd. The defense "at least we're not killing intentionally" is bull**** anyway. How is it not intentional if you KNOW that millions of animals die every year in combines during harvest? You expect me to believe that you somehow unintentionally pay money to buy products that support farmers that use combines to harvest their fields? There's no way out of this one. The only option left for you dip****s is to buy some land, plant and pick your own crops. Impractical? Yeah, well, so is your stupid diet.

so guitar player, you're saying that we have no right to end the lives of animals right? well i guess you can't eat veggies or wheat either 'cause the processes of harvesting kills animals as well. well you might say "well at least i'm not doing it directly," how does it make it any better if you know it's happening? I used this same example in an earlier thread, let's say you hire someone to kill off someone you hate, well i guess you're guilt free 'cause you were the one committing the actual murder right?

and your comment about pollution? well I guess you better stop driving your car. Stop using any appliances in your house and stop using your computer because they all contribute to pollution.

GuitarPlayer
02-23-2003, 07:31 PM
i consider it more violence to slaughter an animal that has many senses and feels pain, versus a plant which most likely does not have the capacity to feel pain.

things are relative, as outlined in the PETA letter. a billion animals killed vs. a million is a thousandfold more. much less violence. that is just silly.

naturally i know everything i do contributes to pollution. our human activities all require some amount of pollution. however the mess created by the animal consumption is just unnecessary, when food grown from the earth can suffice and is more efficient.

really, this argument is ridiculous. is always is. all you have to do is ask the 35000 people that die every day from hunger whether they would be happy using the grain, soybeans, and corn that was instead fed to some random cow, just for the pleasure of some citizens of a richer developed country. naturally YOU are not going to feel this way because i don't think you are dying of starvation.

farming the earth does destroy it but it is much less than what mass grazing does to the land. not to mention the destroyed rainforests that end up becoming grazing pastures for a few years until they will support no plant growth for years.

for my part, i am aware that my abstaining from animal products really won't do anything. but i think it's better than NOT doing anything. also i already have made 2 other people vegan, and who knows? the influence might spread.

carolinagirl
02-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
Has there ever been any great leaders that are vegitarians? Just curious.

Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.

I guess it wasn't for ethical reasons.

PowerManDL
02-23-2003, 08:05 PM
I'm going to eat three animals for every one you save.

EdgeCrusher
02-23-2003, 08:43 PM
i suggest u guys read "Living With Meat Eaters" for the responses to some of what ur saying.

it's simple and easy to read.

when u finish the that, there's plenty of other AR books out there which will help you understand AR.

EdgeCrusher
02-23-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by carolinagirl

Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian.

I guess it wasn't for ethical reasons.

he did it for PR, and he still ate sausage.

there's a lot of famous veggies/vegans, do a search for vegetarian celebrities.

Celestial
02-23-2003, 09:03 PM
I cant believe how ****ing ridiculous this thread got.....my lord. WHO REALLY GIVES A **** IF I EAT MEAT OR WHY.......my lord.....I didn't ask for opinions or for anyone to get bashed......non vegetarian or vegetarian....and will people get off this thing that I am lower myself cause I dont eat meat.....thats ignorant....i know I have a lot more than my counterparts who are my age and eat meat....its no relevent to someones success......maybe in 1000 BC it was though.....

Tryska
03-05-2003, 02:15 PM
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/

the doc
03-05-2003, 02:40 PM
forests are destroyed for grazing and for farming grains...

there is no actual shortage of food for human consumption (as evidenced by grain prices at all time lows), there are only tyrannical and oppressive governments which restrict the movements of food or are more concerned with fighting wars than feeding their own starving citizens.

i myself have no problem with vegans... but i do have a problem with animal rights activists. You see i actually support some of what they say... in that animals need to be treated better, with less drugs, more grass feeding and less grain but only because this results in healthier food for the populace

that being said, looks like this will be the last word since the thread has been closed