PDA

View Full Version : Cutting.....

Mr. Clark
02-23-2003, 10:31 AM
I'm currently cutting, so I'm on a low carb diet. However, I know I need carbs before and after I work out. How many carbs should I be having in a day on a low carb diet? What kind of foods?

AJ_11
02-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Depends on the type of diet that you are on. And why do you need carbs before bed. If you are doing a TKD then it is only pre and post workout.

bradley
02-23-2003, 04:25 PM
I would say low GI carbs like sweet potatoes, oats, beans, fibrous veggies are good carb choices except post workout which high GI carbs would be ideal. How many carbs are you taking in each day? Just saying low carb is kind of vague. This could mean a ketogenic diet or just low carbs with moderate fat and protein. If you want you can post an example of your daily diet and you would probably get more suggestions.

Mr. Clark
02-23-2003, 06:43 PM
Here's an example of my diet.....please critique...

Breakfast:
Some egg whites with cheese

All day at work I snack on boneless, skinless chicken tenders.

Pre work out /3:00
Cup of yogurt
Banana or Apple

Post work out/6:00
Steak or Chicken
Baked potato
some kind of vegetable(corn, carrots, asparagus)

8:00
Protein Shake

bradley
02-24-2003, 02:27 AM
First off you need some EFA's in your diet. Might want to add in some nuts, natural peanut butter, flax oil, or fish oil. Since you are not performing a ketogenic diet then I would suggest incorporating more carbs in your diet to make it more balanced. That doesn't look like many calories IMO, although I don't know your stats. Maybe something like a 40/30/30 (p/c/f) or something close to that.

I would incorporate more low GI carbs like I mentioned above and what type of protein shake do you drink before bed. Is it 100% whey or a protein blend?

Since you do have access to a protein powder why not use some postworkout along with simple carbs help refill muscle glycogen and aid in recovery?

Mr. Clark
02-26-2003, 07:55 PM
How much natural peanut butter would you suggest in a day. What is the most effective EFA?

My Shake is a protein blend...does that matter before bed?

I have started using a shake after I work out and I like it....keeps me full for a while.

AJ_11
02-26-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Clark
How much natural peanut butter would you suggest in a day.

Depends on your total caloric needs, but usually about 2-6 table spoons in good.

What is the most effective EFA?

The only kind of EFA is polyunsaturated because you body either doesn't produce it or produce it enough. Typical Diet are Omega 6 plentyful so you need to get in some Omega 3 which can be found in fish oils and flax seeds.

Another good fat is monosaturated from olive oil, although not essential but is useful.

PB is a good source of Mono

My Shake is a protein blend...does that matter before bed?

Does it contain any carbs. If so then maybe it would be better post workout. If it has a minimal amount >10 then I would add some olive oil with it or eat some cottage cheese as has caesin in it, which slows down digestion and stay in your system longer

bradley
02-27-2003, 02:48 AM
If it has a minimal amount >10 then I would add some olive oil with it or eat some cottage cheese as has caesin in it, which slows down digestion and stay in your system longer

Liquid fats like olive oil or flax oil would not slow the digestion of a shake, although the cottage cheese would. I would just mix the shake with milk.

I would continue using the shake postworkout and add in some carbs as well. Whey would be ideal along with some dextrose or maltodextrin for a postworkout shake.

Also salmon is a good whole food source of EFA's, but most find it easy to get in the recommended amount by using supplements like fish oil or flax oil.

AJ_11
02-28-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Liquid fats like olive oil or flax oil would not slow the digestion of a shake, although the cottage cheese would. I would just mix the shake with milk.

I would continue using the shake postworkout and add in some carbs as well. Whey would be ideal along with some dextrose or maltodextrin for a postworkout shake.

Also salmon is a good whole food source of EFA's, but most find it easy to get in the recommended amount by using supplements like fish oil or flax oil.

I should have made myself more clear on that I was talking about the cottage cheese and the digestion as the oil sits on top.