PDA

View Full Version : EAS and "Impact Carbs"

Saint Nick
02-23-2003, 06:01 PM
First post. Outstanding forum and I hope I can be more of a contributor in the future instead of lurking in the shadows.

Here's the deal. I'm limiting my carb intake to 10 or fewer grams per day. The missus goes grocery shopping and, instead of getting the Carb Solution bars that I know and trust, she gets a box of EAS Carb Control Nutrition Bars. Chocolate Chip Brownie, to be exact.

They were on sale at Wal-Mart.

AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Anyway, the label says each bar has 20g of Total Carbohydrates. Then, in a big yellow box, the label says 3g Impact Carbs. It goes on to break this down as follow: Total Carbohydrates 20g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 1g, Other Carbohydrates 17g. Also, Other Carbs, including glycerine, have minimal impact on blood sugar levels.

So is this total BS? Can I eat this stuff without fear? My wife ate one on the way home, so I doubt I can take it back.

What's your take?

gopher
02-23-2003, 07:19 PM
They are about the same thing as your Carb Solutions bars. Even though Carb Solutions claim only 2 or 3 grams of carbs on their label they still have all of the non impact carbs that EAS puts on their label. Do the math. Multiply the # of grams of protein and carbs by 4 and add the calories from fat to that and I'll bet you are still about 80 calories short of the total calories listed for one bar. Where do those calories come from? The "non-impact" carbs. Also the protein quality in Carb Solutions and most other bars is very poor.

bradley
02-24-2003, 02:33 AM
Sounds as if you are performing a ketogenic diet so just test and see if those bars kick you out of ketosis.

Saint Nick
02-24-2003, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by gopher
They are about the same thing as your Carb Solutions bars. Even though Carb Solutions claim only 2 or 3 grams of carbs on their label they still have all of the non impact carbs that EAS puts on their label. Do the math. Multiply the # of grams of protein and carbs by 4 and add the calories from fat to that and I'll bet you are still about 80 calories short of the total calories listed for one bar. Where do those calories come from? The "non-impact" carbs. Also the protein quality in Carb Solutions and most other bars is very poor.

Thanks a lot. That makes sense. Lots of sense.

Do you happen to know what kind of low-quality protein Carb Solutions is using and what I should be using? This is part of my game I need to work on.

Originally posted by bradley
Sounds as if you are performing a ketogenic diet so just test and see if those bars kick you out of ketosis.

How can you tell if the bars 'kick you out of ketosis?' Is that something you feel?

bradley
02-24-2003, 05:28 AM
You can use Ketostix to test and see if you are still in ketosis. You can get them at most pharmacies or order them online.

Here are some articles that might be of interest you to you.

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/haycock/low-carb-bars-and-glycerol.htm
http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/jalali/protein-bars-revealed.htm

raniali
02-24-2003, 09:47 AM
for clarification, non-impact carbs *supposedly* will not elevate blood sugar levels to any significant degree - hence the reason they are "non-impact". but, as was pointed out, the calories still need to be considered and the source of the carbs themselves. i believe the fda will be requiring label changes that will list ALL carbs, and not merely "non-impact" ones soon. if any carb is completely non-impact, that would be fiber. eat as much of that (and actually you should be supplementing with it during a keto diet) as you desire.

if you are attempting a keto diet, i would be apprehensive at using these bars ..... esp more than once a day.

Saint Nick
02-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by raniali
for clarification, non-impact carbs *supposedly* will not elevate blood sugar levels to any significant degree - hence the reason they are "non-impact". but, as was pointed out, the calories still need to be considered and the source of the carbs themselves. i believe the fda will be requiring label changes that will list ALL carbs, and not merely "non-impact" ones soon. if any carb is completely non-impact, that would be fiber. eat as much of that (and actually you should be supplementing with it during a keto diet) as you desire.

if you are attempting a keto diet, i would be apprehensive at using these bars ..... esp more than once a day.

Thanks!

I've been using a fiber laxative (the Equate version of Metamucil). Is that alright?

And thanks bradley. I'll be getting some Ketostix later today.

raniali
02-24-2003, 09:55 AM
equate is fine ... just make sure you get fiber on keto.

gopher
02-25-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks a lot. That makes sense. Lots of sense.

Do you happen to know what kind of low-quality protein Carb Solutions is using and what I should be using? This is part of my game I need to work on.

It's been a while since I've looked at the label on these but I believe that collegan is the primary protein source in Carb Solutions bars. Collegan is a useless protein source. For a keto diet I think you would be better off with a protein powder like MetRx Protein Plus or Human Development's Pro Blend 55 and mixing it with heavy whipping cream or flax seed oil.

djreef
02-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Gelatin is also another worthless protein source that bar manufcturers include.

raniali - is your avatar from the Cyberforce swimsuit edition? Just curious if my photographic memory still works form 10, or so years ago.

DJ
= 8-->{I>

raniali
02-25-2003, 12:31 PM
honestly - i couldn't tell you the source of my avatar. i try to forget where i steal property from.