PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Seeking Help

Big Punn
02-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Hello everyone..

My name is Kyle, i'm 17 from Minnesota, and.. am currently awaiting summer!

I'm looking for advice on my daily food intake, Ill post some info about myself and what i usually eat a day... And It would be nice to hear some feedback as to what to change because I really dont know much at all about "good" nutrition foods..

Weight: 155
Height: 5'8"

What I want ultimatly: Abs are a big thing I would like to see, right now their flat abs/flat stomach, basically I want to see them lol. So if you could, some advice on that would be nice too.

Food eaten in a day.

Breakfast - I eat one or two of those Quaker Fruit and Oatmeal cereal bars, Berry, Strawberry, Apple.. and a banana whatever is there, I enjoy them. Also drink water with that. Not much really for breakfast cuz i usually dont have enough time.

Lunch: I come home for lunch at about 11:30 a.m. from school. I usually eat what i can but try to keep it in the Meats area.. a roast beef or summer sausage sandwich on white bread, a banana, and water. Does wheat bread really make that much differance than white bread? Can anyone explain the difference?

After school: After school I usually eat a banana or two. I hope the banana's are helping me because I eat like 4 a day. Right after school I go to work cleaning up our family's bakery which is actually a good workout. I've gained muscle on my forearm, biceps and triceps from greasing the pans and things like that.

Dinner: Meat, wehter it is pork chops, ham, beef, steak, chicken.. and usually milk or water with that. Corn and Green Beans are also usually around.

Before bed: I drink a lot of water before I go to sleep so i'm always getting up at like 5 a.m. to use the bathroom. But other than that I may have another Fruit and Oatlmeal cereal bar.

So what you do you think needs to be changed in my diet and nutrition? Should I be eating more? If so, what of? Thanks for all the imput!

-Kyle

"does this picture work?"

GuitarPlayer
02-24-2003, 07:51 PM
hmm where to start.

a lot of water throughout the day is great. good work. the bananas are great as well.

the cereal bars suck, they are all processed sugar basically (which is why they taste great!) instead you need a real breakfast of either oatmeal or toast or something. you need complex carbs (oatmeal) and protein (milk, protein shake) at breakfast. whole wheat bread is better because it is less processed (get the kind of bread that is heavy and multigrain and says 'whole wheat' and has very few ingredients)

other than that your diet is pretty much fine. besides the cereal bar at night (drink a protein shake instead... if you want to know the brand use the search engine here) it's not bad at all. if you do lift weights then drink a protein shake immediately after the workout - at least in the 15 minutes after the workout if you can.

if you want to see abs you must do situps and other ab exercises. look that up on this forum as well. basically eat less sugary carbs (like cereal bars) and eat more whole wheat and protein instead. if you are naturally lean (you sound like it) then you are basically set and you should see abs soon enough - maybe even within 6-8 weeks.

i also recommend lifting weights...

Saint Patrick
02-24-2003, 08:18 PM
yeah your diet is actually pretty good for a newbie, take some extra protein though.

And like guitarplayer recommended, lifting weights might help. :idea:

bradley
02-25-2003, 02:34 AM
Get some protein in each of your meals and like the others said get rid of the processed carbs. Maybe a couple of eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. You can boil the eggs the night before if you are short on time in the mornings. Try to get your protein from lean sources like chicken, fish, dairy products, lean beef, eggs, etc. Stay away from processed foods such as summer sausuage, which really doesn't offer much nutrition wise. Dinner looks pretty good and you might want to throw in a peanut butter sandwich before bed or some cottage cheese, or a handful of nuts. This would also be a good snack to have midmorning and midafternoon. Search around through the forums and you will find a lot of helpful diet information.

Oh yeah, and lift weights...that will help tremendously in reaching your goals.:)

Big Punn
02-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Lifting weights, yeah i'm doing that , or just started to anyway. Question about the eggs, Egg Whites, you just eat around the yolk or how does that work? How do you cook them? Thanks.

Berserker
02-25-2003, 10:50 AM
At eggs, you can seperate the yolk. POur the egg back in forth in the empty shell, halved. The also make seperators. I used to seperate now I don't. Remember theres protein in the yolk, so you need to take this into account for your intake.

Big Punn
02-25-2003, 10:51 AM
So i can just boil them and eat them normal, thats cool. Thanks.

Big Punn
02-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bradley
Get some protein in each of your meals and like the others said get rid of the processed carbs. Maybe a couple of eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. You can boil the eggs the night before if you are short on time in the mornings. Try to get your protein from lean sources like chicken, fish, dairy products, lean beef, eggs, etc. Stay away from processed foods such as summer sausuage, which really doesn't offer much nutrition wise. Dinner looks pretty good and you might want to throw in a peanut butter sandwich before bed or some cottage cheese, or a handful of nuts. This would also be a good snack to have midmorning and midafternoon. Search around through the forums and you will find a lot of helpful diet information.

Oh yeah, and lift weights...that will help tremendously in reaching your goals.:)

- Whats the differance from NATURAL peanut butter and like, Jiffy? Is there a big differance?

bradley
02-25-2003, 02:08 PM
Natural peanut butter does not contain the trans fats (hydrogenated fats) that regular peanut butter like Jiff or Skippy does.

Big Punn
02-25-2003, 04:42 PM
What about CornBread? How does that fair in the nutrition or foods intake?

Is cornbread a plus or a negative?

GuitarPlayer
02-25-2003, 09:00 PM
probably a negative unless you make it at home. then you know the ingredients and nutrition.

i consider a food like that good if it isn't too processed (simple home baked is fine) and it has 5g of protein per 100 calories. for the most part CornBread probably isn't good by itself but with other foods at dinner it should be fine in moderation.

Big Punn
02-27-2003, 02:27 PM
Alright, and update..

I have been eating kind of differently but not a lot differently.

Added:
Natural Peanut butter sandwiches - is more than 1 a day alright?

Took out:
Those cereal bars..

Workout-
Monday Wednesday Friday - work out , gives me one day inbetween to rest my muscles, is that right to do?

Other than that I can tell it's been working out so far.

Should I be running along with lifting weights?

_-_v_-_
02-27-2003, 03:35 PM
I'd get a proper routine.

Use WBB1. It works well.

bradley
02-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Natural Peanut butter sandwiches - is more than 1 a day alright?

That is fine as long as you are counting the calories toward your daily total.

Should I be running along with lifting weights?

Cardio is fine. If you are working out three times per week you could throw in some cario on your off days. Might want to check out the sticky in the training forum.

Big Punn
02-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Where does Ice Cream fall?

bradley
02-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Big Punn
Where does Ice Cream fall?

I would say eat in moderation. Probably best saved for a cheat meal, due to the sugar and fat content that comes along with ice cream.

Big Punn
03-01-2003, 10:17 AM
Is DIET pop really any bad for you? Or is it basically as bad for you as the regular pop and stick to MIlk and Water?

Kirman
03-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Basically i don't go near diet pop because it's still got sugars in there.
I'm 17 aswel if you would like to speak to me on something like msn just ask and i'll give you my addy or sommerts..
I'm well into body building and have been since i got bak from the royal navy.. (joined at 17 and left this year as a relitive died :cry: but im ok and should b away in a couple of months..

GuitarPlayer
03-01-2003, 12:38 PM
diet pop isn't bad but i wouldn't drink too much of it. if you have a craving go diet but don't drink like 3 a day. water is always better.

Big Punn
03-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Kirman
I'm 17 aswel if you would like to speak to me on something like msn just ask and i'll give you my addy or sommerts..
I'm well into body building and have been since i got bak from the royal navy.. (joined at 17 and left this year as a relitive died :cry: but im ok and should b away in a couple of months..

Yah dude thats cool, jarulejoo@hotmail.com, i'm on MSN messenger frequently.

bradley
03-01-2003, 02:08 PM

Diet sodas use artificial sweetners not sugar.

Big Punn
03-01-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Diet sodas use artificial sweetners not sugar.

What do you think about Diet Pop? Is it alright to drink, i mean like 1 or 2 a day? or no?

bradley
03-01-2003, 02:20 PM

What do you think about Diet Pop? Is it alright to drink, i mean like 1 or 2 a day? or no?

I don't think it is "bad" and it is definetely better than regular soda. If you feel you need to drink one then have one, but try and stick to water if possible. I like to drink Crystal Light whenever I want something besides water. Also enjoy the occasional Diet Rite soda which are sweetened with Splenda and are sodium and caffiene free.

Big Punn
03-02-2003, 10:35 PM
ok more foods questioned:
Hot Dogs
Beef Sticks
Cereal like.. Fruit Loops or something
Strawberry Jam with the peanut butter?
Cheeseburgers or Hamburgers?

thanks again!

-*kyle

bradley
03-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Hot Dogs- too much fat; stick to lean cuts of meat like chicken, fish, lean beef

beef sticks- I am assuming you are referring to beef jerky which can make a good quick source of protein on the go (beef jerky is high in sodium though). This does not include products like Slim Jims.

Fruit Loops- too much sugar IMO, and really doesn't offer much nutrition wise. Stick to whole grain cereals.

Strawberry Jam and Peanut Butter- This could be a good combination when put on a piece of ww bread and when using natural peanut butter and 100% fruit jam.

Hamburgers/Cheeseburgers - depending on what kind of ground beef you use really; If you are using 96% lean ground beef then yeah I would say they would be fine but this is not the case most of the time. Unless you are preparing them yourself.

Big Punn
03-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Alright I can see this working already and am greatly suprised on how fast it is working... I'll continue with this routine until i'm satisfied.

But more food questions..

Tacos.. like taco johns tacos. are they ok to eat once in a while?
fish sticks? does the outer coating make the differance?
Some type of noodles and turkey or noodles and chicken?

bradley
03-04-2003, 11:16 AM
Tacos.. like taco johns tacos. are they ok to eat once in a while?
fish sticks? does the outer coating make the differance?
Some type of noodles and turkey or noodles and chicken?

Tacos every now and then would be ok. I just wouldn't make them a staple in my diet. Fish sticks usually contain more fat than say a regular piece of fish and the breading just adds unnecessary carbs.

Pasta and chicken/turkey would be fine just have to watch the serving size of the pasta and also be wary of sauces that sometimes come on foods like this. Also if you are eating something like this that comes pre-packaged the meat is not usually of great quality.

Big Punn
03-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Uncle ben's Rice Bowls?

They say 98% fat free

Mirowavable..

I just had one and they were actually pretty decent..

Rice/Peas, Chicken, Taryaki sauce, Carrots

.. yes or no? thanks in advance.

bradley
03-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Uncle ben's Rice Bowls?

They say 98% fat free

Mirowavable..

I just had one and they were actually pretty decent..

Rice/Peas, Chicken, Taryaki sauce, Carrots

.. yes or no? thanks in advance.

To lose weight you have to be in a caloric deficit throughout the day. The kind of foods you eat is not as important as what I mentioned above. Clean foods will help keep you satisfied longer than most processed ones, which always helps when dieting.

With that being said, try to eat lean cuts of meat, low GI carbs, and don't skip out on healthy fats. Learn to look at the nutrition info on the package and determine for yourself what is "good" and "bad."

I would stick to brown rice and yes peas are fine. I usually don't eat terriyaki sauce due to the high sodium content but other than that it should be fine, and the carrots should be fine to eat as well. I am not to familiar with the rice bowls but the ones I have seen contain mostly white rice which is too high on the GI for me, but this doesn't mean that it is bad. Although it probably won't keep you full for very long.