PDA

View Full Version : More questions about keto????????

maverick
02-26-2003, 10:46 AM
What is KETOACIDOSIS, and how do I avoid it?

Also, I need to find a resource that lists what foods I can get fats from, with out a lot of carbs.

raniali
02-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Ketocidosis means dangerously high levels of ketones. Ketones are acids that build up in the blood. They appear in the urine when your body doesn't have enough insulin. Ketones can poison the body. They are a warning sign that your diabetes is out of control or that you are getting sick.

Treatment for ketoacidosis usually takes place in the hospital. But you can help prevent ketoacidosis by learning the warning signs and testing your urine and blood regularly.

What are the warning signs of ketoacidosis?

Ketoacidosis usually develops slowly. But when vomiting occurs, this life-threatening condition can develop in a few hours. The first symptoms are:

Thirst or a very dry mouth.
Frequent urination.
High blood sugar levels.
High levels of ketones in the urine.

Next, other symptoms appear:
Constantly feeling tired.
Dry or flushed skin.
Nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain (Vomiting can be caused by many illnesses, not just ketoacidosis. If vomiting continues for more than 2 hours, contact your health care provider.)
A hard time breathing (short, deep breaths).
Fruity odor on breath.
A hard time paying attention, or confusion.

Yes - many of the symptoms are easily experienced with keto dieting ... EXCEPT for HIGH BLOOD SUGAR. That is the whole point of keto dieting - to keep blood sugar low so that your body is forced to revert to ketogenic modes of energy production.
If you are diabetic, I would probably not be using this sort of dieting. But, you don't need to worry if you are healthy.

Additionally - check the back of food labels for the macro-nutrient breakdown of foods. That is the most accurate method. Or drop $7 and buy a food-counter book. It is my second Bible in the house.

maverick
02-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Ok a couple more questions:D

so should insulin levels be kept high or low?(I'm a little confused on that)

I take a multi vitamin each morning, is there anything else that I could be taking(supplementwise), or would be beneficial to ketosis?(apart from the low carb protein, & creatine)

bradley
02-26-2003, 04:47 PM
so should insulin levels be kept high or low?(I'm a little confused on that)

To perform a ketogenic diet insulin must be kept low. This is done by keeping carbs<20g(this number can vary depending on the individual)

I take a multi vitamin each morning, is there anything else that I could be taking(supplementwise), or would be beneficial to ketosis?(apart from the low carb protein, & creatine)

These supps might be of some benefit while on a ketogenic diet:

vit C and vit E
fiber supplement
EFA's

ALA and glutamine can also be helpful when used during the carb load.

raniali
02-27-2003, 10:23 AM
FIBER - most definitely

i also recommend the rest if you have the $$