PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Newbie Questions

brocklanders
02-27-2003, 09:26 AM
Friday I will be completing my first EVER week of routine training. Let me tell you.....I am loving it. I've never felt so alive. It feels so good to be able to look at yourself in the mirror after throwing the weight around and not get bummed. Here's the deal I'm 6'4" and weigh about a buck seventy soaking wet. Obviously, I need to put on the pounds. I've been taking creatine hoping that will help now that I'm dedicated to a routine.

I need to know what to eat. Everyone says High Carb and High Protein. Thats great and all, but I need to know the specifics of what I should be eating (breads, potato....etc.) and if there are or "tips and tricks" as far as diet (should I eat 3 big meals a day or 6 small?). Also is creatine all that I should be taking or are there other supplements that I could take along with the creatine that would be beneficiary. Any advice would be very very much appreciated. Thanks.

Paul Stagg
02-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Tips and tricks?

Eat everything.

Eat so much you scare people.

Eat so much you need a wheelbarrow instead of a shopping cart.

A beginning lifter doesn't need any supplements other than supplemental protein if you aren't getting enough from food.

At least 4 meals a day. 6 is better.

Manveet
02-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Tuna, chicken breast, oats, cottage cheese, low fat milk, pasta, potatoes, lean beef, eggs, assorted veggies and fruits, natural peanut butter, rice....

Eat like crazy.

aka23
02-27-2003, 03:01 PM
I would suggest getting an estimate of how many calories you have been eating to maintain your weight. It would take an extra 500 calories/day or so to make a pound of muscle per week + additional calories spent during the lifiting. You may want to make adjustments in small increments, such a couple hundred calories per day extra for a while, then checking results.

At the same time you get your calorie estimate, you can get a rough estimate of your protein, carbohydrates, and fats as well. Lemon's research suggests that you should be eating 120g-170g protein. Some people who post here would suggest even higher. Most sports nutritionists recommend 20%-30% calories from fat. The rest should be carbs. I my opinion, carbs should make up at least half your calories (preferably a bit more) though some may disagree. Lyle Mcdonald wrote a good article about basic nutrition for bodybuilders at http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles/mcdonald/baseline-diet-02.htm . The article recommends 45-55% carbs, 15-25% fats, and .8-1g/lb protein.

As others have said, more meals is better. It is often stated that a serious bodybuilder should be eating 4 to 6 meals per day. More meals has health benefits, keeps insulin/glucose levels stable, and helps insures that nutrients are available for building muscle. There are a few especially important times to eat meals such as breakfast and the post-workout meal. A late night meal/snack may also be useful to minimize the length of time without food before breakfast. Note that each meal should have an adequate supply of carbs and protein.

I suggest a balanced type diet with natural-type foods. This includes low GI (glycemic index), nutrient rich foods like whole grains, vegatables, and fruits; as well as adaquate supplies of meats/fish and dairy. Your suggestions of bread and potato are ok, but lower GI complex carbs might include oatmeal, legumes, brown rice, yams, etc. Fats should be of the healthy, natural type. For example nuts & seeds are better than fried foods or potato chips.

I agree with others that creatine supplementation is not particularly important for someone starting out.

bradley
02-27-2003, 04:18 PM
Here is a list of what some of the members here buy at the supermarket. Might help you in getting an idea of what types of food people eat. The online journal section is also a valuable tool, as some of the members post their daily diet along with their workout routine.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26368

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27261

Shamik
02-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Look at that big mofo sitting behind you at work and ask him what you need to eat. You might not like his answers, but he'll tell you straight. Tuna and Chicken. Pasta for lunch. Bagels in the morning along with a bunch of eggs and oatmeal. Milk. Protein shakes. Pretty much everything in site.