PDA

View Full Version : Red meat substitute with Salmon fish?

adszczep
02-27-2003, 04:41 PM
My goal is to train for muscle mass, period. I drink two protein shakes a day and so forth. As for eating, my question: Is Salmon good to substitute for red meat? (Health reasons). Putting aside the cost factor and so forth, will I be able to build muscle mass at the same rate if I ate red meat in the same proportions?

Thanks!:)

MrWebb78
02-27-2003, 04:44 PM
eat alot of varieties of animal protein. include salmon at least 3 days a week to get the healthy fat from it. dont rely on protein, eat tons of starchy and fibrous carbs.

AJ_11
02-27-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by adszczep
Is Salmon good to substitute for red meat? (Health reasons).

Short answer : No!

Long answer : Although both contain a good amound of protein, the difference is that red meat contains nutrients that salmon doesn't have and vice versa. Health wise, red meat is not bad for you. Choose leaner choices of cuts and grass fed ones are even better, but you shouldn't substitute one for the other.

Ironman8
02-27-2003, 05:25 PM
Isn't salmon good for your heart? I heard its loaded with poly and mono unsaturated fats, as well as those needed Omega-3 fatty acids.

Saint Patrick
02-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Salmon is totally fookin awesome. If I had to only choose one or the other, I'd choose salmon in a heartbeat.

On a side note, if you're giving up red meat for health reasons, then eat a lot of chicken breast too. You can gain a LOT of muscle mass by eating chicken and fish as your primary protein sources.

Short N Buff
02-27-2003, 10:43 PM
salmon is better than meat, but doesn't mean meat doesn't have anything to offer. meat has a lot of iron among other stuff (like chewy texture :) )

bradley
02-28-2003, 02:34 AM
Salmon is an excellent source of EFA's and a good source of protein. Eat some carbs with your salmon and you have a good well balanced meal. I would say salmon has more overall nutritional value than red meat, but steak does taste good:)

hemants
02-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Red meat and Salmon are different foods just as apples and oranges are. I'm not sure you need to "substitute" one for the other as they are both good sources of protein among many others.

AJ_11
02-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by hemants
Red meat and Salmon are different foods just as apples and oranges are. I'm not sure you need to "substitute" one for the other as they are both good sources of protein among many others.

:withstupi , exactly my point.

adszczep
02-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Will follow the advice.