PDA

View Full Version : Results

joe
02-28-2003, 06:15 PM
My goal is to speed up my metabolism wich was slowed down by bad dieting. I am 18 years old 5 foot 7 150lbs and i took some peoples advice to start wbb routine 1 and eat 6 times a day. My question is how long do you think it will take for me to see an increace in my metabolism. I currently do wbb routine 1 and running between 20-25 miles per week. I eat 1900 calories per day with a 40/40/20 split, all fibrous carbs and healthy fat and a gram of protine per pound. Since i started to raise my calories iv gained 12lbs every time i raise my calories i seem to gain weight, is this muscle or is it fat?

Stray
02-28-2003, 07:50 PM
1900 calories a day and you run 20-25 miles per week?

:omg:

I think ya need to eat more IMO.Then again I'm not sure if you're trying to GAIN weight or loose it.

( At 5'7" and 150 I hardly think you need to loose any)

joe
02-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Oh yeah i run a lot im not trying to lose weight cuz i already lost all of the weight that i wanted to but i just want to stay the same and gain some muscle and eat more but its hard to belive that i gain weight eating a totally clean diet of 1900 calories. All of the things that say my maintanice calories say that i should be eating like 2700 cals just to maintaine and im no where near that and i still gain. i really messed my self up i should have never cut my calories down so much.

bradley
03-01-2003, 04:45 AM
Are you still gaining on 1900 calories? What does your daily diet look like? I find it hard to imagine anyone gaining weight on 1900 calories while running 20-25 miles per week. What are your current goals? Are you more of a track athlete or are you looking to gain muscle and strength?

Silverback
03-01-2003, 04:56 AM
You cant gain muscle off 1900cals a day unless your a sloath or a leprechaun! Maybe you are not calculating right and eating more than you think.

And if your running 20-25 miles per week your burning up a hellavalot of cals man.

Like bradly said what are your goals, it sounds like you need to gain weight if you are looking for muscular size. Give us some more info and we will sort you out

B-R

joe
03-01-2003, 06:52 AM
Yes i am gaining at 1900 cals my goals are to speed up my metabolism. I got this way because i went on a bad diet to lose weight, i didnt do any reading about how to lose weight i just figured that i could eat very little and run my ass off, which worked but i later found out that i lost a lot of muscle. I want to gain some muscle to make my metablolism faster and lose a little flab around my belly button thats why i started the weight traning. Iv been slowly increasing my calories every 2 weeks to try and get my metabloism adjusted but i have gained 12 pounds.

joe
03-01-2003, 06:55 AM
and i count my calories to the T with fit day i always end up with 40% carbs 40%protine and 20% fat .

bradley
03-01-2003, 07:33 AM
I would think that much running would be limiting you in terms of muscle gains. Cut the running down to a moderate level and concentrate on weight training. Might try one of the WBB routines that are listed on the main page. If you are gaining while on that diet then stick with it. Why don't you post a link to your fitday journal so we can check it out? About how much are you gaining per week (on average)?

HANSEL
03-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Your probably regaining weight in the form of Organ and brain tissue. Your body's prolly putting essential weight back on it needs and was lacking. Maybe once replenished you will start to burn body fat again. JMO

joe
03-01-2003, 09:08 AM
I hope so cuz eating only 1900 cals a day sucks

joe
03-01-2003, 09:20 AM
Anybody have any sugestions on how i should raise my calories, should i keep doing it slow or should i just raise them up to 2500 all at once since i gain weight anyways.

bradley
03-01-2003, 01:48 PM
I would raise them slowly over the course of a few weeks. No need in just jumping into a higher calorie diet. This way you can keep an eye on how much weight you are gaining. I would try and gain approx. 1lb. per week.

Your probably regaining weight in the form of Organ and brain tissue.

Not to be the skeptic, but how did you come to this conclusion? I doubt he was down to that low of a bf level.

aka23
03-01-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by joe
My goal is to speed up my metabolism wich was slowed down by bad dieting. I am 18 years old 5 foot 7 150lbs and i took some peoples advice to start wbb routine 1 and eat 6 times a day. My question is how long do you think it will take for me to see an increace in my metabolism. I currently do wbb routine 1 and running between 20-25 miles per week. I eat 1900 calories per day with a 40/40/20 split, all fibrous carbs and healthy fat and a gram of protine per pound.

You are off to a great start. The protein percentage sounds a bit high, but this is caused by maintaining 1g/lb with your low calorie intake. Running 20-25 miles sounds like a lot. I would suggest switching cardio activities on different days to avoid overtraining, reduce risk of injury, use/build different muscles, and improve recovery. For example you might want to run one day and do cycling the next. Also separate cardio and lifting by a good amount of time, since the two activities interfere with each other. You should at least have a few hours and a meal between them. It would be even better to separate by 8-12 hours or do them on alternate days.

The best things to do to increase your metabolism are doing cardio, doing restance training (weightlifting), eating well (adaquate calories & balanced diet), and increasing the number of meals. It sounds like you are doing all of these things. As you build muscle and lose fat, your body will burn more daily calories, and your metabolism will increase.

You may also want to check with your doctor as there have been cases where thyroid hormones are decreased as a result of chronic low calorie intake, slowing your metabolism.

Since i started to raise my calories iv gained 12lbs every time i raise my calories i seem to gain weight, is this muscle or is it fat?

You are unlikely to gain more than 1lb muscle per week or lose more than 1lb fat per week. If you are trying to gain weight, I would suggest increasing your calories in small increments, and decreasing if you reach a point where you are gaining more than 1 lb per week. You can probably check your body composition at the gym. All the gyms that I have been a member of offer this service for free. You also may notice visible differences in the mirror.

joe
03-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Do you think that taking a break from running for a week and just lifting is a good idea. mabey my metablosim will catch up that way

bradley
03-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by joe
Do you think that taking a break from running for a week and just lifting is a good idea. mabey my metablosim will catch up that way

I don't know as if your metabolism will catch up, but I would imagine your performance in the gym will increase, which would eventually have a positive impact on your metabolism. I wouldn't expect overnight changes. Just stick with a sensible training and diet program and you should see positive results.

I would definietely cut down the cardio, but it is really up to you as to cut it out all together. I think a little cardio every week is beneficial for overall fitness.

HANSEL
03-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Not to be the skeptic, but how did you come to this conclusion? I doubt he was down to that low of a bf level.

Ok, I pulled that outta my ass:)
But I seriously doubt anyone running 25miles per week, eating under 2000 cals a day is weighing 150, I think he's closer to the high 120's. That just seems tremendously unhealthy.

joe
03-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by HANSEL

Ok, I pulled that outta my ass:)
But I seriously doubt anyone running 25miles per week, eating under 2000 cals a day is weighing 150, I think he's closer to the high 120's. That just seems tremendously unhealthy.

Why would i lie about my weight, i was down to 135 when i was eating 1200 calories per day but then i read something that any found out that i was dieting totally wrong so i started to raise my calories slowly and now i am around 153. and it is unhealthy thats why i am trying to fix it.

HANSEL
03-03-2003, 12:56 PM
Sorry man, no offense intended. I guess I was just having trouble understanding your whole situation.

joe
03-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by HANSEL
Sorry man, no offense intended. I guess I was just having trouble understanding your whole situation.

Non taken im trying to understand it too. I guess its just going to take time.