PDA

View Full Version : Westside Success Stories???

Otter
03-02-2003, 07:21 AM
I've been doing my research on the program and have hesitated to do it thus far, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that I am capable of being a hell of a lot stronger than I am now. After months of reading articles about it, I might finally take the plunge. But first, I wanted some feedback from current users about their success.

1. Has your strength progressed significantly more on Westside than with other traditional lifting routines?

2. Considering the amount of low rep work, has your muscular development suffered at all? For instance, considering that there aren't days dedicated to working your back, has your back size/strength suffered at all?

3. When do you work your lats? I've seen Tate's sample training log as well as others and some work lats with bench and some with SQ/DL days. What have you found works the best for you?

Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

NateDogg
03-02-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Otter
I've been doing my research on the program and have hesitated to do it thus far, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that I am capable of being a hell of a lot stronger than I am now. After months of reading articles about it, I might finally take the plunge. But first, I wanted some feedback from current users about their success.

1. Has your strength progressed significantly more on Westside than with other traditional lifting routines?

***Bench press definitely. Deadlift has come up well too. My squat is the only thing that has disappointed me and that is because I am just starting to learn to squat properly. My squat will come up soon I'm sure.

2. Considering the amount of low rep work, has your muscular development suffered at all? For instance, considering that there aren't days dedicated to working your back, has your back size/strength suffered at all?

***Most of the accessory stuff is done in the 8-10 rep range. i think it's kind of a misnomer (sp?) that it is all low rep work. The main ME lift, or DE lift for that day is done low rep, but other than that, the rest of the workout is not. As for back work...personally (and this entire response is referring to my personal experience, workout and feelings on Westside) I am doing plenty of back work as accessory stuff. Check out the first post in my journal for the direct link to where I got my workout from on www.elitefts.com

3. When do you work your lats? I've seen Tate's sample training log as well as others and some work lats with bench and some with SQ/DL days. What have you found works the best for you?

***I work my lats on DE bench, ME bench and ME sq/dl days.
Any help you can offer is much appreciated.

Hope that helped!

Adam
03-02-2003, 09:39 AM
1. Strength went up way more while doing westside then any other program i've tried.
2. None of my muscles really shrunk at all while doing westside. Some like tri's and hammies really blew up though.
3. I do lats on bench days.

With westside i lost 10lbs, have lower bf. And my strength on my lifts went from Squat 315 to 398 bench 250ish to 303 and dead from 440 to 502.
And to top it off westside is by far the workout that you can have the most fun with.

Paul Stagg
03-02-2003, 09:48 AM

** yes.

** Nope. I'm actually holding size or getting bigger. Remember, WSB is well suited to individual tailoring. I, for example, am finding I may need more pulling to keep my shoulders healthy and ensure proper posture/spine health. So I might add in a bit more pulling.

** i do them on bench days. Do them where they fit best for you.

nejar462
03-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Basiically im just going to Ditto what paul said, adding in, flexibility in westside makes it really awesome, you can literally train for anything in the ways suited towards your needs. It's great. I feel its the future of lifting.

Saturday Fever
03-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Agree with everyone. I do lats twice a week or sometimes more. Somedays if I get too busy on a Bench Day I'll do them with squats, or vice versa. Westside really lets you "play by ear."

Podium Kreatin
03-02-2003, 01:27 PM
has anyone got much SIZE increase w/ this, cuz i know its a powerlifting routine more than bodybuilding. i'm giving this thing a try too, and i jus wanna know

MonStar
03-02-2003, 01:52 PM

My strength has progressed a good bit I think. In a little over 2 months, I gained 70 lbs. so far on my deadlift, 40 lbs. on my bench, and around 50 lbs. on my squat. Thats only in 2 months mind you, I cant imagine what will happen in 6 months.

My muscular development has not suffered AT ALL. Maybe some added trap development, forearm development, glute and hamstring development, etc. But overall---I have not lose any size I dont think. And keep in mind my diet SUCKS. I train my lats a little on my ME bench day, and then on DE bench day as well. So my lats are fine.

ME bench and DE bench day is when I have found are the best times to hit up some rows/chins. Recently I have been doing chins on ME bench day and rows on DE bench day. Working well if you ask me.

AJ_11
03-02-2003, 04:22 PM
Where do I start? I have checked out a few sites but I am still confused. Could someone give me the basic around the program or a website that I can go to to find out what to do.

And If I decided to start say tommorro is it a good idea to take a week off to give my body a rest. I have been involved in a low rep workout with my last break(completely from training) about 6 weeks ago.

MonStar
03-02-2003, 07:30 PM
AJ_11: Okay first of all I dont think you need to give your body a week off to prepare for Westside. Basically there are 4 main days on Westside: max-effort bench, max-effort squat/deadlift, dynamic effort bench, dynamic-effort squat/deadlift. Your ME (max-effort) days are your heavier days, and your DE days are your lighter days.

Check out www.elitefts.com for more info. Great site. Click on articles I believe, and then click on sample 9-week program. Good luck man.

DK
03-02-2003, 09:10 PM
I started out with the 9 week sample program by Dave Tait. Most of all I have to say westside is the most fun I've ever had in training. ME days are awesome just trying to break your old pr's.
I don't squat cus we don't have a rack, but I'm gonna start that soon after my back heals up.

Here is my gains after 9 weeks: Dead - 375 to 400, Bench - 195 to 220, Squat - I'm not sure what my squat was, but I did 320 in a meet.

Those results probably aren't typica because I didn't box squat. I think box squatting will raise your totals on the squat and dead alot.

I agree with Monstar, Nate, and Paul, and Adam on their answers to your other questions.

MonStar
03-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Nice work dkliewer, impressive gains. Just give yourself a little longer youll see even more gains!

DK
03-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Thanks Mike. Once my evenings are freed up (in about 2 weeks) I'll start training at the local college. Then I'll be able to do box squats and some other stuff I haven't been able to do. I plan with staying with westside for awhile.

AstronautJones
03-05-2003, 02:15 PM
This one's back.

I don't see any bicep work whatsoever in the westside routine. Can someone explain why this is?

Paul Stagg
03-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Because direct bicep training doesn't make your squat, bench or dead go up.

I do occasional bicep training to help with tendonitis, but that's it.