PDA

View Full Version : Diet Whilst Injured

Silverback
03-02-2003, 03:51 PM
At present i am tied up with a shoulder injury, i was in the middle of a bulking phase gaining 2lbs per week. Now that im unable to train fully i was wondering what i should do with my diet, this comes to light now as i kept up the same bulking diet whilst injured! and have amassed a bit of body fat.

What i would like to do is maintain as much mass as possible and lose a little fat if possible also.

i was considering lowering my carbs and keep protein and fat the same? Any opinions from those whove experienced or that have knowledge in the area.

merci

B-R

MrWebb78
03-02-2003, 04:01 PM
how long are you injured for? dont lower carbs too much, instead lower the fat

Silverback
03-02-2003, 04:05 PM
Im probably looking at another 3-4 weeks 5 to be on the safest side.

It sucks :( , its like when you really want something, but you cant have it e.g. Jennifer Lopez. Its really weird, that being said i want to make sure my muscle and strength dont fall away too much.

Why would you say lower fat? i feel that fats are imprtant for hormone production or is that irrelevant whilst injured?

bradley
03-02-2003, 04:27 PM
I would just say to lower cals. Keep protein at about 1g per lb of bw and fat intake at around 25-30% of total calories. You are right in that fat is important. Fill in the rest of your cals with carbs. Just keep lowering cals slowly until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week (approx 1lb would each week would be ideal).

Silverback
03-02-2003, 04:33 PM
cheers brad i knew i could count on you :)

In case your wondering im going to abandon all training until the shoulders better, as somehow even training legs seems to effect it, especially squats. Im not bothered about losing alot of weight just a few pounds that a put on whilst overspilling, from the low training period.

bradley
03-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Just keep a watchful eye on your weight while reducing you cals slowly. Hope the shoulder gets back to 100% soon;)

Silverback
03-03-2003, 05:52 AM
thanks for the support brad:)

body
03-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by bradley
I would just say to lower cals. Keep protein at about 1g per lb of bw and fat intake at around 25-30% of total calories. ).

just drop the kcals a bit.

can you still trian your legs?
if so, you may be able to trian them more frequently as upper body is not being trianed.
This may mean just doing leg curls and extensions and calf raise.

on week 3to 4 you may want to do a light session eg get your body used to some trianing again.

Silverback
03-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Nice idea on the light session body,

I think i will train legs, but twice a week quads and hams 2gether, calves, lower back and abs 2 gether. TBH im not looking to loose alot cos im not fat, just a few pounds off my glutes would be the doctors order :)

Ive decided to go with 2500bcals

using 200g protein a day, about 150-180 carbs and the rest as good fat sources.

I will do cardio 3 times a week two, just to keep me exercising :)

thanks again

body
03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
when i said trian more often, i did not mean double the frequency.
I am not saying this is not the way to go.

but you may prefer once every 5 days?
religon is based on 7 day week, your biochemistry is not.

Silverback
03-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Damn you body! where can i get some more info on this biochemistry idea?

Until now i have never thought of it, could the same rule be applied to other body parts? and where does rest fit in?

body
03-03-2003, 04:58 PM
yep all body parts.

rest as you need it, though you may end up with not going to the gym on the same days.

Silverback
03-03-2003, 05:09 PM
:(

A problem lies right there for me man, i have a tight schedule as it is, so some days mean that there would be no chance of getting to the gym and i also have a workout partner whereupon we structure workout days.

Hes a bit pissed at the moment, because i cant train fully, but i also go and help him spot and encourage when he trains, because i would hope he would do the same for me if he was injured.

body
03-03-2003, 05:15 PM
i personally have the same problem as you. so i end up going to they gym on set days.

however if i trianed soley by myself and had no work out partner, i would experiment by going like every 6 or 8 days at 1st the change to see how i react to those. to get really complicated you may overlap body parts as they recover quiker than other body parts. but that be a fancy split.

though 7 days my be ideal for you.
like most people we are stuck in this routine. so do not worry about it, just make the most of it.

Silverback
03-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Definately,

i have no doubt in my mind that if i altered the structure of my workouts i could make better gains, but how much better? is the question. I.e. is it worth making those sacrifices for a few more pounds a year?

I think the rate that i was gaining was pleasing enough (not including injury) alright i know im not going to be the MR O in my lifetime, but im sure that in 5 or 6 years then i could be looking at local shows.

Besides i think that i would put myself at risk of more injuries if i reduced the recovery time between workouts.

body
03-03-2003, 05:24 PM
its your choice. i just try to help you make the best decision for your whole life.