PDA

View Full Version : If i'm only looking to lose weight should I still workout?

Hapt
03-02-2003, 06:03 PM
I need to be under a specific weight. I run 2-3 miles a day and I'm on a diet. If I start to weight lift will I gain any weight or will it help me lose more weight?

Behemoth
03-02-2003, 06:22 PM
ABSOLOUTELY.

Unless your goal really isn't any muscle gain, I wouldn't run everyday. Especially not 2-3 miles.

Shao-LiN
03-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Ummm...yes. Maintaining muscle is a fat burner unto itself. You won't gain weight w/o a caloric surplus or some weird genetic thing occurs.

Raj
03-02-2003, 08:19 PM
not only that....you'll tone up your body as well......I've been doing that straight from the last 6 months...

Raj

Saint Patrick
03-03-2003, 03:35 AM
Muscle gain aside, Weight Training is a great way to burn calories.

body
03-03-2003, 04:45 AM
yep hit the weights.

body
03-03-2003, 07:36 AM
i may have misread the post in response to notsobig comments.

you really want to loose muscle mass?
or just fat loss?

sorry if i got it worng as so many people use the wrong terminolgy when aksing a question. eg lots of people want to loose weight yet, they really mean they want to loose body fat.
so just put you in the group above? was i wrong to do that?

_-_v_-_
03-03-2003, 07:58 AM
You have NO idea what you are talking about.

I've personally experienced muscle loss severe enough to have significantly impacted my health. I did much cardio and ate little. What do you think happened? I lost ALL the muscle I'd ever had.

body
03-03-2003, 08:19 AM
that does depend on how much muscle you have got, plus doing weights help you keep muscle if trying to loose fat.

bigkevin20
03-03-2003, 08:31 AM
YES YOU MUST LIFT OR YOU WILL DIE FROM SHRINKAGE!!!!

AJ_11
03-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Gaining muscle also helps you too lose weigth. THe more LBM you have the more calories you are going to burn at basal. Plus you don't want to end up be being another skinny fat guy.

bradley
03-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Hapt
I need to be under a specific weight. I run 2-3 miles a day and I'm on a diet. If I start to weight lift will I gain any weight or will it help me lose more weight?

How much weight do you have to lose and how much time to do you have to lose it?

Berserker
03-03-2003, 06:27 PM
The first questions should be why do you want to lose weight and what is your body fat level. If you already fairly skinny and still need to lose a few pounds I'd probably stick with the running and eating good. Lifting could cause you to gain weight in the form of muscle. And if theres a certain number you need to be below that won't help.
I do think lifting weight will help you physically, but if you just want to run I don't see anything wrong with it. Depends on hyour goals. Joggers are not fat.

I think we have another haunting.