PDA

View Full Version : Doc's Deerloaf

the doc
03-02-2003, 09:01 PM
man i made this tonight and it was sweet!

2-2.5 lbs ground deer meat
2.5 cups soft bread crumbs*
2 egg
1 med onion chopped
1/2 cup heinz ketchup
1.5 tbsp salt

mix all the above ingredients and shape into a loaf. Place in shallow baking pan and in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour

serve on whole wheat pasta or with some sweet potatos :)

* (made by taking fresh white bread and tearing it up into a food processor or mince with a knife)

Saint Patrick
03-03-2003, 01:26 AM
I'd try this if I had a way of getting Deer meat..........

the doc
03-03-2003, 11:08 AM
that's what hunting season is for ;)

IceRgrrl
03-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Yum! Sounds good, doc :) I have a similar recipe for venison meatloaf...good warm or cold or in sandwiches!

You can also use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs as the "filler" and egg whites/milk to cement it all together. Meatloaf is one of those things it's really hard to screw up :p

the doc
03-03-2003, 03:42 PM
i was thinking instant oats would be a good filler. nice suggestion molly :)

Berserker
03-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by the doc
that's what hunting season is for ;)
Theres a season?
I thought they were like lobsters, you pick the one you want for dinner.

I tried something similar but I used tomatoes. I had a surplus of them from the garden and tried them in everything. Cooked it alot longer, 2 hours? It was a pretty moist. Looked like canned dog food, but was good.

Just thinking what about adding cheese? I live near WI.

the doc
04-04-2003, 08:52 AM
sure man, you could add a little cheese. It would certainly make it more rich. perhaps you could top it with cheese

Tackleberry
04-11-2003, 10:53 AM
Doc, do you are anybody else know the how much protein, fat, carbs...etc.. are in deermeat?? I can get deer meat pretty much anytime and i love it.

thanks

Berserker
04-11-2003, 04:29 PM
I don't think any meat has carbs.
Venesion is pretty lean so not much fat. As far as protein, I treat it like read meat. Really just eat until I am full.

SquareHead
05-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Dude I so love venison!!! It's relay lean! But I add alittle fat to help it cook up and taste... not so gamey.

Berserker
05-03-2003, 06:21 PM
Venision is not gamey. Its venision, not beef. I know people who add beef boulion to venision, you might as well eat beef, unless its a money thing.
Venision is dryer though, the texture will be differant in chilli. For me the chilli seems to break up more. Been thinking about making a spagehti(sp) sauce with.
I probably eat about 2 deer a year. Gonna have some steaks tommarrow.

inspiringpecs
05-04-2003, 06:11 AM
hey berserker,
im a vension fan, i use it in alot of things, spaghetti, grilled hamburgers, chili, meatballs just to name a few, with the right spices u can't well i can't taste the difference between vension and beef, but than again that is coming from a vension lover.smile if u would like some of the receipes just let me know. got lots of them,,,, later ms pecs

Berserker
05-04-2003, 09:41 AM
never tried meatballs. I would have though it wouldn't stick very good. But I suppose with the egg and other stuff. I make venision chili a bit. Lots of steaks. Last year I had a ton of tomatos from the garden so I fried the venision real slow and low temp in sliced tomatos, very good. Salsa works too.
You know what really seems to taste like beef is carabo. Atleast the stuff I've had.