PDA

View Full Version : amino rush before or after

gandolf
03-02-2003, 09:49 PM
hey guys. after training should i immidiately go for the eliptical machine or should i flush a protien shake down, then cardio after the shake. not like i do cardio...

AstronautJones
03-02-2003, 11:39 PM
I've always thought this as kind of a toss up. Personally, I don't think I could do cardio with a belly full of protein. It would be the countdown until I blew chunks.

Maybe just sip on your protein shake throughout the cardio. Just a wild-assed guess though.

aka23
03-03-2003, 12:11 AM
It depends somewhat on your goals, intensities, and durations. If the cardio is more than just a cooldown, I would suggest doing it a different time. Cardio and weights interfere with each other. If you do cardio shortly after weights, it depletes gylcogen and other nutrients and hinders recovery. I would suggest eating a meal containing both protein & carbs after weights, then waiting at least a few hours before doing cardio. It would be even better of you waited 8-12 hours or did it on alternate days.

AstronautJones
03-03-2003, 12:26 AM
Interesting. I would think that doing cardio after weight training would be beneficial. Weight training is fueled by glycogen, so afterwards your body would be in a glycogen deficit. It seems cardio immediately after would tap into fat stores more efficiently, using the fat for fuel.

Personally, I do my cardio on off days. It just seems like cardio after weight training would be of benefit as well. Perhaps someone could explain this.

body
03-03-2003, 04:43 AM
if it does not hinder you ability to do cardio, then i would take the drink.

may be even a mouthfull or two so when your showing after the cardio some of the nutrients from the drink are decreasing the catabolic effects of post-trianing.

personally i have milk-pretrianing. though make sure its not to loaded with carbs as after you go above 8% carb its slow absorption.

aka23
03-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by AstronautJones
Interesting. I would think that doing cardio after weight training would be beneficial. Weight training is fueled by glycogen, so afterwards your body would be in a glycogen deficit. It seems cardio immediately after would tap into fat stores more efficiently, using the fat for fuel.

Personally, I do my cardio on off days. It just seems like cardio after weight training would be of benefit as well. Perhaps someone could explain this.

There is a negative impact on recovery and the muscle building process when the cardio is done immediately following weights. This is especially true when the important post workout meal is delayed until cardio is complete. However, if cardio is done immediately after the postworkout meal, then there are other potential negative consequences such as cramps and inhibited fat burning. If your primary goal is to burn fat rather than build muscle then separating weights and cardio becomes less important.

AstronautJones
03-03-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by aka23
There is a negative impact on recovery and the muscle building process when the cardio is done immediately following weights. This is especially true when the important post workout meal is delayed until cardio is complete. However, if cardio is done immediately after the postworkout meal, then there are other potential negative consequences such as cramps and inhibited fat burning. If your primary goal is to burn fat rather than build muscle then separating weights and cardio becomes less important.

Ah. Makes sense. :)