PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Diet - Help

liftingfanatic
03-03-2003, 07:38 AM
I am starting a low carb diet today. I have lost 20lbs since November and still managed to gain strength. However, the last bit is not coming off. I don't think i will actually enter keto because I do not like the high fat foods you must eat which brings me to my question. If i take in like 40g of fat 40g of carb 200g of protein on about 1800 cals at 210lbs will that be more detrimental then helpful if i don't enter keto. I know i will lose some muscle mass but i will do my best through supplmentation with creatine, HMB, Multi, and glutamine to maintain what i can. Thanks so much for the input.

raniali
03-03-2003, 09:27 AM
i think 1800 cals @ 210 is WAYYYYY too little. so, will it be detrimental? yes!

even at the very minimum of 210 lbs *10 cal/lb = 2100 cals/day. i even hesitate to go that low if you are training quite regularly with at least moderate intensity.

the question becomes - what are you current daily calories by which you managed to lose 20 lbs but have stopped? you probably have found a new maintenance calorie level for the lower wt and just need to *slightly* adjust this -- or add a little more cardio.

fuzz
03-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Need more info here.

How long have you been dieting? What has your caloric intake been like? 2000 cals a day? 2500 a day? How often do you lift, and what is your activity level like?

liftingfanatic
03-03-2003, 12:26 PM
I have taken in between 2500-3000 cals divided over 6-8 meals. Most coming from shakes with 2 whole food meals daily. I workout 3 times a week with weight very intensely however i plan to cut down the intensity while doing the low carb thing.

bradley
03-03-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by liftingfanatic
I have taken in between 2500-3000 cals divided over 6-8 meals. Most coming from shakes with 2 whole food meals daily. I workout 3 times a week with weight very intensely however i plan to cut down the intensity while doing the low carb thing.

I agree with Raniali. Why not just lower cals a little more instead of going for such a drastic decrease in calories. For some people limiting carbs to 50g per day would put you in ketosis.

Have been performing any cardio in addition to your training? If not you could add in some cardio on off days.