PDA

View Full Version : Metabolism Measuring Device (MedGem)

Erbas
03-03-2003, 11:10 AM
This is a device that is touted as being able to measure your resting metabolic rate. It is a small hand held device and can give results in a few minutes. Has anyone had any experience with this or know anything about it? Seems like this would be a great way to make caloric adjustments when cutting and maintain metabolism....if it is accurate.

Comments?

Y2A
03-03-2003, 11:37 AM
I just checked out a couple sites for info on it, sounds pretty cool. The only price I stumbled on was $2,500 though :eek:

aka23
03-03-2003, 12:26 PM
There is a study describing the accuracy at http://www.viasyshealthcare.com/smc/Products/Diagnostics/MedGem.asp . The standard error of the study was 11%. If I understand this correctly, this means that 68% of the tests were within 11% of their gold standard measurement. This does not sound very accurate to me, but it is a bit better than equations like RMR = 66+ (6.22 x weight (lbs)) + (12.7 x height (inches)) - (6.8 x age) . Part of the problem may be being in a resting state in the doctor's office, in a similar way to problems getting accurate blood pressure or resting heart rate measures in a doctor's office. Eating, drinking, or exercise within a few hours before the test ups your RMR; as does not being in mentally relaxed state. Note that these devices cost 2-3 thousand dollars and are intended for health care professionals.

Erbas
03-03-2003, 12:57 PM
....2-3K....ouch, they sure don't look like much....I need to invent something for the medical industry! I noticed my gym is offering the test for like $40.00, which includes a 7 day meal plan, consultation...blah, blah, blah,...I just would like to use the test to get an intitial RMR then make calorie decisions based on that. Then after a couple weeks get another reading to see if my metabolism has shut down too low....ie: I cut too many calories, or if I can perhaps cut a little more. Could be a ood tool to keep track or metabolism and hopefully avoid the metabolic drop due to excessive calorie restriction.

aka: yeah, 11% doesn't sound too great and there are a lot of factors that could skew the readings. Just thinking it might be yet another tool to use in the war on body fat!

Blood&Iron
03-04-2003, 11:55 AM
We have a similar device from this same company at the gym where I work (too lazy too check what the differences between them are)

http://www.healthetech.com/corp/consumer/bodygem_abstract.jsp

I've administered the test to a number of folks--though I've yet to give it a shot myself. Kinda cool, and it certainly can't hurt to have a (moderately) accurate RMR number upon which to base one's diet, but the surest sign you've got the proper caloric deficit is that you're losing weight at a (reasonable) predetermined rate, e.g., 1lb a week,etc. And use caliper tests to make sure you're not losing muscle.

Erbas
03-04-2003, 02:54 PM
B&I, when you administered these tests, did you find they were relatively inline with the traditional RMR formulas? I agree though, if your' losing fat and hanging on to muscle....you're doing it right. I have some calipers but find getting consistant readings to be random at best....perhaps its my technique, but it doesn't take much to get 1 mm more/less here and there to get different BF readings. Thanks for the response.

Blood&Iron
03-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Erbas
B&I, when you administered these tests, did you find they were relatively inline with the traditional RMR formulas?
Dunno. I've never really bothered with RMR formulae. The numbers seem a bit lower than I anticipated, though.