PDA

View Full Version : Need some diet help!!

Sara
03-03-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm in the process of cutting and I seem to need a little help results have slowed down to nearly nothing and I can't seem to figure out why. I'd really appreciate it if someone helps out here so I'll post my intake.

Meal 1- 1 serving high fibre oatmeal( 117 cals)
1 whole egg, 2 egg whites(111cals)
3 small turkey sausages (low in fat and carb)(150 cals)

Meal 2- light peanut butter sandwich(on 1 piece whole wheat toast)
half an orange(total 180 cals)

meal 3- (after workout) low carb protien shake with milk or water. half a protien bar (32 grams protien in total)(281 cals)

Meal 4- (1 hour after meal 3)2 chicken breasts with 2 cups steamed vegtable, approximately 260 cals

Meal 5- 1 can tuna with 2 cups tossed saled (about 200 cals)

Meal 6- half a cup cottage cheese with half a table spoon of light peanut butter (about 120 cals)

It totals out about 1400 cals I vary my choices so its not the same every day the next day I might have the low fat cheese instead of sausage for breakfast and spinach with olive oil instead of tossed saled But I always make sure its withen the cutting range.
intake is 1300-1500 when cutting and 1800-2200 when maintaining. I do have a kind of cheat day once a week where I kick my metabolism into gear however I'm strict even on that day to withen 700 cals above cutting.

Been eating like this for 5 weeks lost about 1.5% however the last two weeks have gotten nothin right now I'm at 19-20% and I'm aiming for 16-17% I'm in the last 5-10lbs which is the most impossible.

I'd apperciate any help and feedback. Also I'm trying to maintain my muscle mass which explains my high protien and wieght training 3 days a week with 5 days of cardio, and I'm an 18 year old female but I've been at this wieght training craze for two years!
By the way this is my first post but I've been here for a little while!

HANSEL
03-03-2003, 12:58 PM
If you dont mind me asking...whats your height and weight?

Sara
03-03-2003, 01:05 PM
I'm 5'6" and I'm at about 146lbs right now but I'm concerned cause the last few weeks instead of losing I've gained a little and I still look exactly the same( Idon't think its muscle mass cause I'm in the process of maintaining it!!)I used to be much less than that but I gained about 15lbs of muscle mass in 8 months!!

restless
03-03-2003, 01:25 PM
One thing you should do is to get some omega 3 in there, judging by this sample menu youposted there's hardly any in your diet.

About your problem, if you're not losing weight anymore it's probably because your metabolism caught up on you and you're no longer in a calorie defice, so you either have to cut the calories even further or increase your activities. I'm exactly sure which you should do. Do you know what's your macronutrient breakdown?

Sara
03-03-2003, 01:31 PM
do u suggest that I transfer to eggs rich in omega 3 they cost twice as much as regular eggs though. And Whats a macronutrient breakdown??? And I also mentioned that I have a cheat day once a week to try to kick my metabolism into gear!! And more activities would be impossibe today I went to the gym for 2 hours then I'm going skating with my little sis for an hour and then I've got gymnastics for 2 hours tonight I'm extremely active so do u think that I should cut my intake a bit more??

restless
03-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Sara
do u suggest that I transfer to eggs rich in omega 3 they cost twice as much as regular eggs though.

Well, that would be an option. Other would be a good quality fish oil supplement, sardines and maybe some walnuts. Any will do.

And Whats a macronutrient breakdown???

It's what you'll get after you have input your sample menu in fitday (http://www.fitday.com) in case you haven't done it yet. It will tell you how many grams of protein fats and carbs you are getting and maybe by looking at that we can figure what would be best.

And I also mentioned that I have a cheat day once a week to try to kick my metabolism into gear!!

That's good, put it in fitday also so we can see what you're getting there.

And more activities would be impossibe today I went to the gym for 2 hours then I'm going skating with my little sis for an hour and then I've got gymnastics for 2 hours tonight I'm extremely active so do u think that I should cut my intake a bit more??

By the sound of your post I was already thiking you were doing a crazy amount of activity as it is, that's why I said I didn't know what the best course of action would be.

Sara
03-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Wellll, I'm aiming for about 40/35/25 sort of,(protien/carb/fat)

I have about 150-180 grams protien, about 100 grams carbs and about 30 grams fat I'm thinking of going into keto but I'm researching it first!!

bradley
03-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Might want to do a search on refeeds and how they play into getting rid of stubborn fat. Doesn't seem as though cals are too low for the amount of activity that you are performing each day. I will see if I can find that artilce on refeeds:)

bradley
03-03-2003, 02:14 PM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16627&highlight=refeeds

There is a link to the article that I mentioned at the bottom of the above thread.

restless
03-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Wellll, I'm aiming for about 40/35/25 sort of,(protien/carb/fat)

I have about 150-180 grams protien, about 100 grams carbs and about 30 grams fat I'm thinking of going into keto but I'm researching it first!!

Is this an estimate?

Sara
03-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Not really an estimate but it always ends up exactly around that amount!!

restless
03-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Well, I admit I can't really offer any advice other than what I already said. The omega 3 supplementation can help as these fatty acids can make fat cells more prone to releasing fat into the bloodstream so make sure you start having some.

Other than that the only course of action is further reducing calories since your activity levels is already so high I see no other option...

Manveet
03-06-2003, 06:07 PM
I think you need to incorporate refeeds.

restless
03-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
I think you need to incorporate refeeds.

She already does, according to her first post....

bradley
03-07-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by restless

She already does, according to her first post....

Is this a proper refeed, or just a cheat day/meal?

restless
03-07-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Is this a proper refeed, or just a cheat day/meal?

I was wondering that too.

Sara?

Sara
03-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Thats how I eat 6 days a week then on the seventh day I have a cheat day where I eat basically whatever I crave(up to a limited amount of cals though).

I'm thinking of putting in a refeed in on mondays(my cheat day is friday) do u guys recommend that??

Sara
03-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Thats how I eat 6 days a week then on the seventh day I have a cheat day where I eat basically whatever I crave(up to a limited amount of cals though).

I'm thinking of putting in a refeed in on mondays(my cheat day is friday) do u guys recommend that??

bradley
03-14-2003, 02:24 AM
If you could let the refeed count as your cheat day then that would be ideal. You get to eat lots of high GI carbs on a refeed day so maybe that would help in satisfying any cravings that you have. How are you planning to structure your refeeds?

Ironman8
03-14-2003, 07:26 AM
I eat basically whatever I crave(up to a limited amount of cals though).

Maybe that's why you metabolism doesn't kick back up. You limit your calories on cheatday.

Sara
03-14-2003, 11:06 AM
Hmm I get it, so on a refeed day according to the articule I basically have a carb up (or about 500 cals above maintenance) in pure carbs. That means ice creams allowed right. Last cheat day I had about 2500 cals and I'm pretty sure that got my metabolism up!!

bradley
03-14-2003, 01:45 PM
Hmm I get it, so on a refeed day according to the articule I basically have a carb up (or about 500 cals above maintenance) in pure carbs. That means ice creams allowed right. Last cheat day I had about 2500 cals and I'm pretty sure that got my metabolism up!!

Just try and keep protein and fat in the desired range while performing a refeed. If you run a search you will find a lot of info on refeeds. Kids cereals are always a popular way of getting in you simple carbs while refeeding.

Yes you will be eating over your maintenace calorie level. There is a formula that will provide you with a rough estimate if you now what your maintenance cals are.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Postworkout you should be consuming a high GI carb along with your shake to replenish glycogen. Try mixing some maltodextrin or dextrose into your shake, about 30g worth or more.

Refeeds are ace, but only once every few weeks IMO. When I refeed I basically don't look at calories, fat or carbs, I eat whatever the hell I want for about 1/2 a day (ie. Have a good morning meal plan, then starting after lunch, and eat whatever until you go to bed that night), just make sure to keep the protein level in check during your refeed days. No matter what anyone else tells you, this refeed plan will work as long as you don't do this more than once every other week or so, and you also get to "feed the craving" for crap foods so that you don't find yourself wanting to cheat a little bit every day!

Cardio is key to losing weight as well, 15 mins 2x a day, 3 days a week should do nicely!

Can't think of much else to post right now in response to this question, but I'm sure I'll come up with something

Vido
03-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Shankerr

Cardio is key to losing weight as well, 15 mins 2x a day, 3 days a week should do nicely!

Do you think 15 min 2x a day is better than 30 min once a day? That seems like more of a pain in the ass, and it's twice the showers if you sweat as easily as I do.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Vido

Do you think 15 min 2x a day is better than 30 min once a day? That seems like more of a pain in the ass, and it's twice the showers if you sweat as easily as I do.

Totally man, once in AM before breakfast, and once again on your way to bed. I sweat buckets too, so it is a pain in the rear having to shower so much and things, but its worth it! AM cardio will burn fat directly because theres no food in your system for it to attack for energy first (I know this has been debated back and forth, but this is from my own personal experience) and PM cardio before bed will help keep the metabolism cranking into sleepy time!

I find doing cardio 2x a day is a killer way to lose fat! 2 short sessions I find definitely are better than 1 longer one

Vido
03-14-2003, 02:55 PM
I assume you don't eat before your morning cardio. How long do you wait to eat afterwards?

Also, do you eat after your late-night run?

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 03:16 PM
after the late night run I basically hop in the shower, eat 1 cup of cottage cheese and go right to bed. As far as morning cardio goes, I eat usually about 30 mins after I do it.. Not even some days, might be as soon as 10 mins after, depends on how long I have to get ready in the morning

Ironman8
03-14-2003, 03:44 PM
If you're feeling hungry during cardio, but you ate 3 meals before it, will it still burn that food you ate? Or will it go directly for the carbs and fat?

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Not sure what you're asking.. What does feeling hungry have to do with anything?

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Wait, I'm a retard, my brain isn't working right. Now that I re-read your post, you're asking if by feeling hungry during cardio, it means that your stomach is empty and therefore would have the same effect as morning cardio????

I don't think it would, even though you're feeling hungry, you've already added a new supply of carbs and exogenous fats to your body, perfect energy for cardio. Whereas in the morning, there has been no additional fats and carbs added to supply the needed energy.

Any form of cardio will work, but for those last few stubborn pounds, morning and night is the way to go

_-_v_-_
03-14-2003, 09:06 PM
HIIT.

Morning cardio is FAR too catabolic. You may lose fat, but you'll also lose muscle; this is a Bad Thing (TM).

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
HIIT.

Morning cardio is FAR too catabolic. You may lose fat, but you'll also lose muscle; this is a Bad Thing (TM).

Ya think so? I've personally never had this problem. As long as you don't overdo it (like doing 60mins of cardio before brekky) there should not be a problem. Take an ECA, do enough to get your heart crankin' a bit, then get ready for your day! I usually limit my cardio sessions to 15mins in AM, and I have used morning cardio quite successfully. Everyone is different though.

HIIT training is killer! Especially if your diet isn't totally together!

I like the "Bad Thing" comment as well :) I use "that's baaa'ad, mmmm'kay" most of the time :D