PDA

View Full Version : Tummy Fat and Cardio.

adszczep
03-03-2003, 09:45 PM
I have just a little stomach fat, something that does not concern me much since it will go away with training.

My question: Is it better to keep working out or do some cardio; swimming or running to get rid of the fat. Will it be more beneficial and keep it on and let lifting get rid of it or run/swim it off.

I would like to somehow transform it from fat to muscle, something cardio won’t do.

Saint Patrick
03-04-2003, 12:34 AM
do both.

Weight Training + Cardio.

fat loss is all about your diet.

bradley
03-04-2003, 02:43 AM
You can't transform fat into muscle. You could add in some cardio while keeping cals at current level or you could decrease cals to help lose the weight. Basically you need to be in a caloric deficit at the end of the day to get rid of the bodyfat.

Ironman8
03-04-2003, 07:38 AM
As for your swimming or running question, do whatever you're better at. Like whichever you can do longer.

aka23
03-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by adszczep
My question: Is it better to keep working out or do some cardio; swimming or running to get rid of the fat. Will it be more beneficial and keep it on and let lifting get rid of it or run/swim it off.

I would like to somehow transform it from fat to muscle, something cardio won’t do.

As others have mentioned, you cannot turn fat into muscle. Building muscle and burning fat are separtae processes.

I think you should do both cardio and lifting. Depending on your goals, you may want to place greater emphasis on one activity or the other.

Cardio can be beneficial for attaining a lower body fat. It helps regulate your appetite, increases your metabolism, helps maintain muscle (as opposed to dieting without cardio or weights), increases fat burning enzymes so you will be a better fat burner in the future, and changes the body's chemistry in ways that favor reduing body fat (effects insulin, adrenaline, cortisol, and endorphins). In addition cardio has numerous health benefits.

Weightlifting is important to help maintain and build muscle. More muscle increases metabolism and improves fat burning efficiency. Cardio by itself is usually poor at building muscle. Cardio and weightlifting can intefere with each other, so it is beneficial to separate them.

Swimming is good at burning fat, but is often not as good as other cardio exercises since it is difficult for amateurs to get the heart rate up for long periods. I would suggest toggling swimming with a cardio activity that focuses on different body parts, such as jogging. Switching body parts will help reduce injury and improve overall fitness.

Of course your caloric intake, also plays a major role in your body fat. It may be helpful to track your diet and make minor adjustments to your daily calorie totals to help attain your desired weight.

EdgeCrusher
03-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Do a minimium of 20-30 minutes of aerobic activity every day. If you want to get rid of that gut, 45 minutes is appropriate as long as your diet it good.

Ferdo
03-04-2003, 10:39 PM
Definately go with both. Just dieting will not do it. I thought that i would get down to under 10 percenet bodyfat by dieting and kept on dieting and dieting and was loosing weight but bodyfat was at the same percentage. Meaning lost muscle. If you do cardio and weight train you will probably see results. Diet will also be important you wont need to reduce calories just eat proper.

Shao-LiN
03-05-2003, 10:04 AM
Well yah, if you don't weight lift, you run a greater risk of losing muscle mass as a result of the caloric deficit. You can get away with not doing cardio though.

I usually start dieting with weight training.
Then if I plateu, add in cardio.
Plateu again, throw in ECA stack.