PDA

View Full Version : Atkins and How/When to Stop

GoldenBoy
03-04-2003, 10:30 AM
I have been doing the Atkins for almost 2 weeks so im just about through with the Induction i started at 6'1@285Lbs it sounds like allot but im a big dude most people don't even think i look 250lbs (with a shirt off;)) but whatever... im now weighing 269Lbs i think that if i go any lower that 200Lbs ill look ridiculous... I want to start lifting soon as well but have to take it slow as i have a bad shoulder. My question is how do i get off the Atkins and switch to a more proper way of eating without gaining all the weight back up? i have heard of slow carb introduction for people on the CKD/TKD diets but not much for us heifers on Atkins.

I do want to start lifting regularly and become a 'big guy' but i would like to drop the fat, learn to eat right, and get on a regular workout regimen first.

crazy how marriage can help you gain 90lbs in 2.5 years :rolleyes:

- GB

raniali
03-04-2003, 11:10 AM
so you only did atkins for 2 weeks and are now ready for a different way to eat? as i have recommended before for those coming off of tkd/ckd to re-introduce slowly, i would suggest the same for you. if i recall correctly - there is no carb-up or refeeds on an atkins. if that is the case, it might not hurt you to do a mini-refeed before starting to incorporate carbs again.

bradley
03-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Also keep in mind that the rapid initial weight loss you experienced was mostly water and muscle glycogen so you can expect an initial weight gain when carbs are reintroduced back into the diet.

Berserker
03-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I did atkins for about 2 weeks, pretty much most of the weight stayed off. I wasn't lifting at the time.
If you read the book he recommends slowly introducing carbs until you stop losing weight. Try maybe 40gs a day for awhile. I think this number is a personally thing, he might make recommendations not sure. But the way it works is eat enough carbs so that you still losing weight, then eventually add enough carbs so you stay where your at and not gain.

GoldenBoy
03-04-2003, 01:07 PM
raniali: actually ill be staying on the Atkins for another 2-3 months *maybe* just to finish the weight loss... then ill start to change my eating habits... what do you mean by 'refeed'? thank you... can i put 'Raniali is Sexy' on my sig?

bradley: but with proper nutrition and regular training i should be fine, weight gain shouldnt be much right? thanks!

Berserker: i have the book havent finished it hehe... honestly i was just interested in how to start/finish induction and the theory behind the diet ill take a look at the book and see... thanks!

again thanks all!
- GB

Celestial
03-04-2003, 01:22 PM
I personally dislike those diets. I personally believe in a healthy balanced diet with ALL food groups etc. But as you see, thats me personally ;)

bradley
03-04-2003, 01:34 PM
bradley: but with proper nutrition and regular training i should be fine, weight gain shouldnt be much right? thanks!

I just wanted to mention that as some people are surprised with the initial weight gain that comes along when reintroducing carbs into the diet. It will not be bf, but the scale will say you weigh more.

Berserker
03-04-2003, 01:40 PM
I agree a balanced diet is best. The atkins diet after the induction does allow more carbs, after the first 2 weeks. If your not lifting weight atkins might not be to bad.
A refeed is when on say the weekends you eat carbs. This good for liftin cause you get energy. Your not lifting though. If you stay on the atkins diet and have a refeed you will have to start over at the beigining and do the induction again.

bradley
03-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Might want to run a search on CKD (cyclical ketogenic diet) and read the articles on the WBB main page relating to the topic. A CKD or a TKD would be better suited if you are lifting weights than the SKD (Atkin's diet).

Berserker
03-04-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Celestial
I personally dislike those diets. I personally believe in a healthy balanced diet with ALL food groups etc. But as you see, thats me personally ;)
Well balanced:rolleyes:

raniali
03-04-2003, 01:56 PM
an atkins diet is not for bodybuilders ... that is why it has been modified into the ckd/tkd approaches which allow periodic introduction of massive amounts of carbs for energy and repair. there has been a number of people (i'm one of 'em) on this board who used either a ckd or tkd successfully. i think you are more apt to kill urself by sticking on an atkins diet AND trying to weight train with any intensity whatsoever. so that leaves the option of just lo-carbing it for the next 3 months without training ... which is a really bad decision in the overall scheme of things (ALL weight loss attempts should incorporate wt lifting and other exercise and, because i dont want to write a book, i won't expound all the benefits of doing such).

the nice thing about ketogenic diets is the re-feed -- those carb binge sessions. i think it eases the mental element of dieting by not restricting carb foods for months at a time. additionally, your body is re-fueled allowing you to hit the weights HARD (or as hard as can be expected on a diet). personally - i would probably make the switch to a ketogenic diet right now. you have the hardest part out of the way: establishing ketosis. there are NUMEROUS threads on this board and loads of other sites that deal with both ckd and tkd's. you CAN still make significant weight loss with either of these methods.

.... and you are more than welcome to tell the world i am sexy!

Celestial
03-05-2003, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Berserker

Well balanced:rolleyes: Hmm well I lost 90 lbs doing that and mainted if not gained more mass......so roll your eyes all you want;)

Shao-LiN
03-05-2003, 10:07 AM

Well balanced:rolleyes:

What's wrong with a well balanced diet approach? Perfectly capable of dropping the fat w/o having to do a CKD or TKD. I actually prefer a 40/30/30 diet over ketogenic.

Berserker
03-05-2003, 10:07 AM
But how balanced can you be without cute furry animals?:D

Celestial
03-05-2003, 10:38 AM
But how balanced can you be without cute furry animals?:D Damn balanced, you dont have to eat meat, to get the right amount of protein and nutrients. Actually its healthier because I dont subject myself to hardley any saturated fat ;)

EdgeCrusher
03-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Atkins? Don't start it. If you want to, say good bye to your muscles.

Atkins seems to be used by the morbidly obese to lose a little weight, when they are destroying the muscle and any positive structures they retain. Many don't even lift or do cardio to look better, it's that # on the scale that Atkins followers use. Avoid is and eat a well balanced diet.

Berserker
03-05-2003, 02:44 PM
I wasn't lifting when I did it. It would be tough to wo on, it is probably better for a couch potao. I am not sure how much muslce it loses though. The induction diet is only 20 grams a day, but after that you go up. If you take in 50grams a day, is that so much worse then CKD or TKD? I haven't experimented enough to say.

bradley
03-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Atkins? Don't start it. If you want to, say good bye to your muscles.

What are you basing this on?

restless
03-05-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Celestial
Damn balanced, you dont have to eat meat, to get the right amount of protein and nutrients. Actually its healthier because I dont subject myself to hardley any saturated fat ;)

You also won't get any heme-iron because meat is the only proper source of it. I don't know if you're interested in knowing the facts beyond vegetarian propaganda, but in case you are, here's a usefull link:

Beyondveg. (http://www.beyondveg.com/)