PDA

View Full Version : Funky chest

epimetheus
03-05-2003, 10:13 AM
I think that I posess some of the worst chest genetics. It caves in at the sternum.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is there a way to fix it or am I stuck with a funky chest all my life?

(lets see if I get the file attachment right)

Workhorse
03-05-2003, 12:10 PM
There's a medical term for it... I just don't remember what it is. I believe you're stuck with it. :( Although you still look pretty good....

GIS
03-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Ahhh... sunken chest. I have a slight (very slight) case of it, and there is nothing you can do about it. Building the chest might help a little, but it might also make it more pronounced.

epimetheus
03-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Workhorse
There's a medical term for it... I just don't remember what it is. I believe you're stuck with it. :( Although you still look pretty good....

Thanks, it seems very pronounced to me and comparing it to some of the broad chests of some of the guys on here it made me really look hard at it. I was hoping it wouldnt look too bad when I take off my shirt at the pool/beach this summer.

Though I think I will let that patch of hair grow back to camouflage it a bit.

Sunken chest, I like that- makes it sound like there is treasure to be found. ;)

maverick
03-05-2003, 12:47 PM
There's actually a medical procedure to correct that problem. They remove your sternum, and place metal bars beneath the ribcage, and then place the sternum back over the metal bars. The cartillage will then be reattached to the sternum, and it will take a while for it to heal in the proper position, and then the metal bars can be removed. I saw it on TLC(The Learning Channel), a while ago.

Celestial
03-06-2003, 03:14 AM
I thnk u look fine hun.

voodazz
03-06-2003, 01:31 PM
*vomits after reading maverick's post*

oh.....man....Actually I have a friend who has a similar condition, but it's a LOT worse. He's actually looking into the......surgery maverick so vividly described.:p

kAiXuan
03-07-2003, 09:58 PM
dood, that dosnt look that bad
do more bench

WeakSauceAsian
03-08-2003, 02:50 AM
YOU LOOK GOOD.

: ).

You look good, please do not worry - it's a small issue, but I know how those things can balloon.

Best wishes :)

Exnor
03-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Yeh, one of last ribs on the right of my chest is very slightly further OUT than the other side, and gives the lower part of my body a small shadow on one side, and not on the other... Looks wierd from my perspective but from the front its not very noticable.

I had it all x-rayed and its just a cosmetic problem. Pretty darn annoying to not be totally symmertical tho :( Hopefully when i get bigger abs it wont show more...

chris mason
03-08-2003, 08:48 AM
There is a medical issue, the name of which escapes me, which affects some people (they think Abe Lincoln had it). This condition is related to a sudden death issue related to aortic rupture, or something similar. Now, to me, your chest looks fine. I am not saying you have this condition. I would recommend you get it checked by a doctor. If it is purely cosmetic, you have zero to worry about. It does not look bad at all.

Exnor
03-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Sudden Death? hmm =p

The deformation of the chest wall is called pectus excavatum (or 'funnel chest'). Can be corrected with surgery, and is only a real issue if it interfers with heart and/or lung operation. You would notice it when doing exaustive exersizes.

epimetheus
03-08-2003, 04:43 PM
How do I know if it is interfering with my exhastive workouts?

When I run hard and fast I get out of breath, nothing I didn't figure was out of the ordinary. I looked up some sites on the internet about that condition and some of the pictures they showed made mine look like nothing.

My only fear now is that if somebody hits it in a spar if it will slam into my heart or lungs. Ugghhh

Exnor
03-09-2003, 07:04 AM
Nah, unless you get really out of breath from only a little excersize, and feel that your lungs are "restricted" when breathing in as deep as you can. About your chest slamming into your heart and lungs - no way! Your bones have formed in that way and are as strong as any others now, unless you have weak bones, 'Rickets' (Vit D defficiency - you can get it tested at your doctors). Very rare though.

Reinier
03-09-2003, 08:29 AM
me friend ronald who is also on here and trains with me has a pretty hella deep hole there. hes actually got good stamina tho so i doubt its harming his lungs or heart

RobRob
03-09-2003, 01:31 PM
My brother has that, He may be getting the operation for it soon. Another kid I kno has it and he built up some muscle and his chest looks awesome.

Budiak
03-09-2003, 06:51 PM
I have a problem on the left side of my ribcage kind of like that. My ribcage is almost flat, not curved like a normal ribcage. If I carry a lot of weight you cant notice, but when I'm really lean it is very apparent. It makes it so my left pec is almost sitting in a small pocket instead of hanging off of a ribcage.

Yes, it is as strange as it sounds. Very lean, it looks damn wierd. I'm hoping when I am up around 200 at 10% it wont be very noticeable.....um...I'm hoping.