PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting meet results

benchmonster
03-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Hey guys. Had a bench meet Friday night. I did decent but not spectacular. I weighed in at 233 lbs. Benched 460 on my opener, which was a joke, then a very easy 505 on my second attempt. I was planning on going 530 or so for my 3rd attempt, but was talked into attempting 545 for a new state record. I just missed the 3rd attempt, mostly due to an equipment issue.

I was very pleased with going 2 for 3, and almost getting a new state record. I should smash that record in May, which is my next meet. Getting my bodyweight up, and training in my shirt every week, I think, were keys to my bench going up.

I have hit 500 in a meet before, and came very close to getting 525 in the past, but those were grinding efforts that took all I had. At this meet 505 was cake, and had I not pulled my shirt so far down I had trouble touching the 545, I feel it would have been smoked as well.

There is no doubt that the westside/metal militia hybrid of training I have been doing lately is working wonders. It has also helped me a lot, i think to drop speed bench on a weekly basis, and train 3 times per week rather than 4. Gives me more time to recover, has helped me avoid tendonitis and pain in my arms/elbows, and allowed me to put on some mass.

For those with a competitive spirit, getting out there and laying it on the line gives you a feeling that you will never find in the gym.

B.

Paul Stagg
03-06-2003, 10:14 AM
Awesome lifts!!

What does a typical training week look like for you?

Are you still a 3 lift competitor?

benchmonster
03-06-2003, 01:14 PM
I train all 3 lifts, but only compete in bench cause I am such a poor deadlifter. Right now training looks like this:

Monday, high volume, high intensity shirt bench workout.

Wednesday or Thursday, lower volume/intensity accessory workout. On this day I do RAW benching as well as back work, and hit either Good Mornings, or Rev. Hypers for posterior chain.

Sat. Big squat workout. I do 10 or 12 sets of 2 box squats, typically, either using up to 200 lbs of chain, or heavy bands in addition to the bar weight. Usually do some deadlifting after squatting. Also hit abs/core very hard on this day.

I hit the core very hard on my accessory day, do a light RAW bench workout, usually no heavier than 315 or so for some reps, and try to drag the sled, or use kettle bells or something for conditioning once or twice a week too.

B.

Chris Rodgers
03-06-2003, 03:52 PM
Excellent B. As I said on the other board, my first meet in my denim is on Saturday. I'll let you know how that goes.

WillKuenzel
03-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Nice job BM! Those are some awesome numbers. Good luck getting the state record!

Good luck in your upcoming meet too Latman!

Behemoth
03-06-2003, 04:22 PM
What state do you got the record in?

Nice job!

chris mason
03-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Good job B!

body
03-06-2003, 05:59 PM
good lifting.

Mystic Eric
03-07-2003, 03:42 AM
Awesome!

benchmonster
03-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks to all.

Behemoth, I live in Oklahoma. I don't have the record. . . yet. I will have it, I hope in May.

B.

SM-2
03-07-2003, 01:08 PM
What does the shirt have to do with your benching????
What kind of shirt are you talking about.....

benchmonster
03-07-2003, 01:51 PM
SM-2, powerlifters wear supportive shirts. Many companies make them, but most don't have websites. www.titansupport.com has some info that explains what a shirt is, and a little bit on how and why it works.

They protect your joints when lifting big weights and allow you to bench more, and to bench more safely.

I wear a Karin's Power Wear double denim shirt, and a highly modified Inzer double denim, that Karin modified for me.

B.

DK
03-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Way to go man. You better smash that Oklahoma record or I just might have too. :) My shirt should be coming any time now it is a Inzer single ply Fury, but I don't have any meets planed. Except going to watch the WADL Push/Pull meet in Norman.

Hercule
03-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Congrats! You are just a freak. Way to go man!

SM-2
03-10-2003, 06:34 AM
Thanks Benchmonster,,,,
I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks for the info and good luck on your competition...

Sayiajin Prince
03-10-2003, 07:31 AM
WHOA way kool man!:clap: