PDA

View Full Version : What is a "good" breakfast?

owensy
03-08-2003, 05:00 AM
All in all, my eating habits are getting better, but I still miss my breakfasts. tuttut I know.

I always eat fruit and juice on a morning, but I don't feel like it is enough. What sort of things should I be eating? I read somewhere on the site that someone eats a lot of eggs (3 whole, 3 whites); porridge with water, and juice - but at my stage (more or less beginner) I don't know if that is wise?

I am just looking for advice about two types of breakfasts for 1) The days that I work out, and 2) The days that I don't work out. Any suggestions? If I had a good idea about what I should be eating, I would be able to do it the night before.

Thanks for reading,

Owensy

supirman
03-08-2003, 05:31 AM
Breakfast should be on of the bigger meals of your day. Think of it like this - your body has just been starved for ~8 hours so it is in dire need for nutrients. It is very important to refuel your body at this point. Eggs and oatmeal are a very good breakfast. The only thing you should pay attention to is getting a good amount of both protein and carbohydrates in your breakfast.

bradley
03-08-2003, 07:34 AM
As you mentioned I would eat some whole eggs/whites with some oats in the morning. Maybe 2 whole eggs and however many egg whites you wanted. I shoot to get a little of each macronutrient which would be easy to do with the eggs and oats. The eggs wil provide some protein and fat while the oats will provide low GI carbs. You can boil the eggs up the night before which should save you some time in the morning.

There are many options for breakfast but just make sure that you eat breakfast and try and get a little protein, carbs, and fat in the meal. I eat the same breakfast everyday whether I train or not.

Mic Soloist
03-08-2003, 09:15 AM
i just eat a huge bowl of wheaties with protein crunch..... and sometimes put fruit in it. It fills me up and had lots of protein including the milk.

Sometimes I eat ots but it has so much fiber it keeps me ****ting all morning.

-peace-

Behemoth
03-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Hmm, I just ate breakfast so I'll tell ya what I had. 5 large eggs with 1 slice of american cheese on em. 3/4 cup of outs with some honey, and 2 cups of milk. *burp*

MrWebb78
03-08-2003, 12:16 PM
breakfast varies every morning. most of the time i dont feel like fixing anything cuz im too damn tired. i either have my favorite protein shake (160z milk, PB, banana, and n large), or sometimes i eat leftovers from dinner. i rarely eat "breakfast foods" for breakfast, except maybe sunday mornings, when i have some wheat toast, fruit, v8(yuck), and some eggs.

Ironman8
03-08-2003, 01:45 PM
I always eat 3 cups of cereal, a bagal w/ creamcheese when I'm not working out. When I do workout, I usually eat eggo waffles with some lite syrup. But the one thing that never changes is that I always eat a banana in the morning.

gopher
03-08-2003, 02:12 PM
I usually have a protein shake as soon as I wake up. I mean I walk down stairs and blend it up right away. About 2 hours later I have and omelet with 6 egg whites, 4oz lean sirlion, and veggies plus 3/4 cup of oats with 1/2 scoop of protein powder. If I'm trying to cut carbs I will add a few yolks to the omelet and have 1/2 grapefruit instead of the oats.
I get up several hours before I go to work so I can do this. For people who roll out of bed and are rushing to get to work on time I would suggest making a protein shake before going to bed and have it waiting for you in the fridge first thing in the morning. Also pack a meal with the macro nutrients that meet your current goals and eat that on your first break or right before you walk into work if you have a long commute.

Manveet
03-08-2003, 03:12 PM
lol, this is what I eat for breakfast when I bulk.

4 large whole eggs
2 peices of multi grain/w.w bread.
16oz of 1% milk
2 scoops milk
2tbsp flax oil

Alot of damn calories.

You should start off with a couple of eggs, maybe 1/2-1 cup of oatmeal and 2 scoops of whey.

KingJustin
03-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Usually for breakfast I eat

1 cup grapefruit juice (blindly listening to someone who says it cleans out the fat in your artaries)
2 boneless, skinnless chicken breasts
2 Whey
2 Milk (mixed with Whey)

and when I'm not already late I'll eat 2 packets of Oatmeal

I wonder if I'm digesting all that protien...

MrWebb78
03-08-2003, 09:09 PM
exercise cleans out the fat in your arteries

vitamin C can contribute to the hardening of the arteries

Vido
03-09-2003, 12:10 AM
I've seen a lot of people here recommending whey in addition to the rest of your breakfast. I would say that, if at all possible, stick to whole foods, other than pre and post-workout. How about a cup of oatmeal and either 4-6 whole eggs or a tub of cottage cheese. That should be more than enough to get you going for the day.

Saint Patrick
03-09-2003, 03:49 AM
When I was bulking I had a 600 calorie Nlarge Shake for Breakfast.

Now I'm cutting, and I have 40g Whey, and a cup of coffee.

bradley
03-09-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick
When I was bulking I had a 600 calorie Nlarge Shake for Breakfast.

Now I'm cutting, and I have 40g Whey, and a cup of coffee.

Need some carbs along with the whey IMO.

owensy
03-10-2003, 06:56 PM
By whole egg, do you all mean an egg on its own, or boiled? Would the boiling affect the protein structure?

EdgeCrusher
03-10-2003, 08:02 PM
I just have 2 servings ISP, 2 servings L-Glutamine - im always in a hurry in the morning.

PowerManDL
03-10-2003, 09:01 PM
I just throw a bunch of **** on the gridle, then dump it all in the blender.

Frozenmoses
03-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Cigarettes and pu$$y.

Seriously though, I usually have some random children's cereal with some skim milk. It usually comes out to around 350 cals, and cereal is totally ace for refeeding.

Saint Patrick
03-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by bradley

Need some carbs along with the whey IMO.

Yeah, you're right. I need something quick and easy, cause I don't have a lot of time in the morning. I'm gonna get me some granola bars.

AJ_11
03-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Saint Patrick

Yeah, you're right. I need something quick and easy, cause I don't have a lot of time in the morning. I'm gonna get me some granola bars.

Why don't you have a few slices of bread or some oatmeal to go with the whey. IMO, its a much better choice especially if you are on a cut. If you are pressed for time just nuke it. take 30 seconds.

bradley
03-11-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by owensy
By whole egg, do you all mean an egg on its own, or boiled? Would the boiling affect the protein structure?

By whole egg I mean the yolk and the white, but you can cook it however you like. Boiling will not affect the protein of the egg.

ask
03-11-2003, 04:26 AM
1 banana and 2 oranges
2 whole eggs and 6 whites
120 grams of oats
1/3 litre of skim milk

That's what my breakfast currently looks like. It's heavy. Got any suggestions?

Mystic Eric
03-11-2003, 04:33 AM
Too much fructose. Have less fruit in one sitting. That's about 48 grams of protein right? looks good to me.

Berserker
03-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Ironman8
I always eat 3 cups of cereal, a bagal w/ creamcheese when I'm not working out. When I do workout, I usually eat eggo waffles with some lite syrup. But the one thing that never changes is that I always eat a banana in the morning.
Was this an example of what not to eat? Unless you got few eggs on the side.

Ownsey- You need more then just fruit. How protein are you getting in your diet?

Xg74
03-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Bowl, Kashi, Go Lean or Crunch, 1 ea.
Bowl, Oats, Whole, 1 ea.
Scoop, Soy, 1 ea. (mixed into Oats) (provides 11.5g protein)
Milk, Skim, 4 ea. (about two servings or 1 cup with each meal)

Sound good? Oh, it is always the same every morning (and it doesn't get boring!)

ask
03-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Eric, thanks for your input.

How is that too much? 2 fruits? I thought it'd be a fine way to get things rolling.

About protein; that should be about 45 grams, which is reasonable with my bodyweight.

Manveet
03-12-2003, 10:43 PM
Take the banana out and add another yolk, ask.

Mystic Eric
03-13-2003, 03:01 AM
Fruit is filled with fructose which replenishes liver glycogen.

Correction -

Excess fructose is converted into triglycerides (fat). I can't be 100% sure if that's do to a spill over of glucose in the liver so I won't say it is. But nonetheless, if the fruit is big, there is too many carbs from fruit in your one sitting, ask.

Ironman8
03-13-2003, 07:26 AM
WTF?! Fruit makes you fat? I usually eat a banana, an apple and a pear, and an orange or a nectarine (all medium sized). Will I get fatter or something (I'm not on a low-carb diet).

Manveet
03-13-2003, 08:40 AM
No you won't Ironman8. Just keep it all in moderation, you'll be fine. At one point of my diet I was eating a very large bowl of fruit every morning, I didn't see too many adverse affects from that, in relation to fat gain. If you are gonna eat substantial amounts of fruit, I think morning time is the best.

Shankerr
03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
2 pints Budweiser
3 slices cold pizza
4 tylenol

Actually, for the most part I eat 6 whole eggs, 1 cup of oats with whey and PB mixed in, and about 2L of water for breakfast. When I cut, 8 eggs, 6 white, 2 whole, but still the whole amount of oats

Berserker
03-13-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Shankerr
2 pints Budweiser
3 slices cold pizza
4 tylenol

Maybe your not such a bad guy. Personally I prefer bloody marys. Vodkas quicker.

Mystic Eric
03-13-2003, 03:13 PM
WTF?! Fruit makes you fat? I usually eat a banana, an apple and a pear, and an orange or a nectarine (all medium sized). Will I get fatter or something (I'm not on a low-carb diet).

The fructose from fruit won't make you fat unless you eat it in *excess* amounts. Just keep it in moderation.

EdgeCrusher
03-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Fruit isn't great when you're cutting b/c of the sugar.

bradley
03-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by EdgeCrusher
Fruit isn't great when you're cutting b/c of the sugar.

As long as you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day fruit is fine IMO.

aka23
03-13-2003, 07:16 PM

I think this fructose issue is being overstated. Some studies have found that fructose is more likely to increase serum triglycerides than other types of sugar. Other studies have found no significant change in blood triglycerides. The ones that I am aware of which found good sized increases in serum triglycerides did not use fruit, they used concentrated fructose, as would be found in high fructose corn syrup (a sugar substitute). They also used what I consider to be very large amounts of this sugar, such as 20% of daily calories from fructose. This is far more than is in a couple pieces of fruit. This does not mean than fructose increases body fat. Many nutritionists think that fructose is less likely to be converted to body fat than other types of sugar because it causes less of an insulin response.

I think there is nothing wrong with consuming a piece of fruit in a meal, or eating several pieces of fruit per day. Fruit does not "make you fat." Excess calories make you fat. I eat 3-4 pieces of fruit per day and maintain a body fat near 5%.

Related article: http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_95forbid.html

Glenn626
03-14-2003, 11:50 AM
I will usually make a protein shake with whey, skim milk, and a banana or two and I will have a bowl of cereal if I am still hungry.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by bradley

As long as you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the day fruit is fine IMO.

I agree, but I'd also add that you're going to want to be sure that the carbs contained in the fruits are included in your total carb intake for the day. When you're cutting, I'm assuming that you're doing at least a few carb depleted days per week, so you're going to want to watch that like a hawk.

Mystic Eric
03-15-2003, 04:13 AM
What I wanna know is how easily glucose is spilled in the liver glycogen stores. I read in Maki's interview with Lyle McDonald that there wouldn't be a problem with fructose until you consume large amounts. Lyle used the large amount as "50-60" grams a day. Now if a person were to eat 1 banana and 2 large oranges for breakfast and continue to eat fruit with every meal during the day for a total of let's say, 6 meals, then the fructose would definately exceed 50-60 grams.

I know some of you are saying that it's cals in vs. cals out at the end of the day, but we're dealing with liver glycogen stores here. Can anyone clarify this? *looks at maki because he was supposed to respond the other night*

bradley
03-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
What I wanna know is how easily glucose is spilled in the liver glycogen stores. I read in Maki's interview with Lyle McDonald that there wouldn't be a problem with fructose until you consume large amounts. Lyle used the large amount as "50-60" grams a day. Now if a person were to eat 1 banana and 2 large oranges for breakfast and continue to eat fruit with every meal during the day for a total of let's say, 6 meals, then the fructose would definately exceed 50-60 grams.

I know some of you are saying that it's cals in vs. cals out at the end of the day, but we're dealing with liver glycogen stores here. Can anyone clarify this? *looks at maki because he was supposed to respond the other night*

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28610

Check out the last few posts in this thread. Might be of some help.

aka23
03-15-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

Regarding Lyle Mcdonald's comment, he said
"Now, I know that a lot of people have made an issue of how *excess* fructose converts to triglycerides and this is an issue with massive amounts (which you see in the general public because of too much sucrose and high fructose corn syrup intake). But you don't see problems until you get to like 50-60 grams per day, which is actually quite a bit (an average piece of fruit may have 7 grams of fructose). It's simply a non-issue for most people. "

If an average piece of fruit contains 7 grams as fructose as Lyle Mcdonald stated, then you do not get into his problem range until consuming 8 pieces of fruit. Note that a good number of others have given much higher estimates of safe ranges, as indicated in the article I referenced earlier. The study which is most frequently quoted involved a diet with 17% of daily calories from concenrated fructose (not fruit) for six weeks. This level is about 85-135g fructose per day. Women on this diet had no change in serum triglycerides as compared to the 17% glucose diet. Men had more serum triglycerides as compared to the 17% glucose diet. A number of similar studies that have used smaller amounts of fructose did not see significant changes.

Carbohydrates are not easilly converted to fat. Some studies have found that when people eat nearly 500 grams of carbs (2000 calories of carbs) in a serving (majority is not as fructose), most of it gets stored as glycogen and the rest is burned as fuel. However, when persons eat lots of carbs day after day and do not burn it with exercise/activity, glycogen storage capacities may exceed their limit. When this happens, some of the carbohydrates will end up as body fat. This type of situation is much more likely to occur when consuming excess calories (cals in > cals out). As muscle and/or exercise increase, glycogen storage capacity increases and the chance for you to exceed this glycogen capacity decreases.

Ironman8
03-15-2003, 09:31 AM
I thought carbs only make you fat when you exceed the calorie limit. Since carbs have 4 calorie grams in there, and since most people will eat alot, it would easily exceed 3200 calories.

aka23
03-15-2003, 10:55 AM
I thought carbs only make you fat when you exceed the calorie limit. Since carbs have 4 calorie grams in there, and since most people will eat alot, it would easily exceed 3200 calories.

Good catch. I made a mathematical error in my post. I have edited my post so that it reads:

"This level is about 85-135g fructose per day."

2000 calories * (17% fructose) *.25g per calorie = 85g fructose
3200 calories * (17% fructose) *.25g per calorie ~= 135g fructose