PDA

View Full Version : trying to gain musle, lose fat which first?

wantnana
03-08-2003, 10:38 AM
hey guys im new to this forum and i was wondering what would be the best approach to my goal of gaining more muscle and losing fat. which should i do first?

right now, i lift about 4 days a week and ive been doing this for about a month and ive noticed a big difference in strength and muscle tone but there i don't know if thats helping me burn fat. what would be your guys' strategy for doing both?

im 5'11 and weight 168 lbs.

AJ_11
03-08-2003, 11:11 AM
Keep at it, your a newbie meaning that your body will do both. I would eat a little over maintence in Cals, about 3000K, and continue to train hard and you should see nice gains. Keep your food really clean and eat 6X a day.

Good luck

Ironman8
03-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Wow! 5'11 at 168Ibs.? I say stay at your weight and concentrate on building lean muscle mass. Muscles increase your metabolism, and that helps maintain weight as well as lose weight.

So I suggest you do mix cardio and weight lifting. You may not lose weight, but you may burn the visible fat and your muscles will start to show.

bradley
03-08-2003, 01:45 PM
I agree with the others in that a good weight program along with some cardio would be good in helping you reach your goals. What are your calories at now? What does your diet look like?

wantnana
03-08-2003, 01:53 PM
heres the bad thing...im a college student so its really hard to have a steady healthy diet. for breakfast i usually have some yogurt

lunch consists of a tuna sandwich

dinner is usually a mixture of foods, but most likely something take out. i try to limit my meals per day so that i have a caloreic deficiency but won't that hurt me in building lean muscle?

ive only started doing cardio this week...but what intensity should i be at and how long should i be doing it and how often?

should i eat more or eat less?

thanks for helpin this newbie out!

wantnana
03-08-2003, 02:00 PM
also i guess im going more for definition in terms of lifting and in order for my muscles to be more defined i have to get rid of the layer of fat on top of them...so would it be better to focus on increasing weights every week when weight lifting or stay with one weight for a while when doing an exercise? thanks!

bradley
03-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Well if you are going to build muscle you it will take more cals. I would just keep increasing the cals until you are gaining a small amount each week. Keep the food clean and do go overboard with the cardio. You could perform your cardio on off days and either go with a moderate intensity for a longer tme or HIIT for a shorter duration. There is a HIIT sticky in the training forum that might be of interest to you. Read some of the articles on the WBB main page and try and follow a balanced diet with something like 40/30/30 macronutrient split (protein/carb/fat).

TurboStu
03-09-2003, 06:17 PM
with you being new, you will be able to do both. At your weight and heigth, I would say add some more lean muscle (it will help burn fat too). I would also do cardio on your off days. I aim for medium intensity cardio (approx. the same as playing a more fast passed game of basketball). The other key to cardio is to start off small. Do not try to go for an hour or something, you will get turned off by that idea and stop doing it in a couple of weeks. Start small, keep with it, and the best of luck to you!

hemants
03-10-2003, 06:42 AM
If your body fat is above 16% then I would say cut first.

Excess body fat can fill your estrogen receptors and cut into gains.

Also, cutting first will teach you dietary discipline because quite often newbies (translation : I've made this mistake :) ) think that bulking means you eat whatever you want. Not so.

If you're in the 13-14% range and can handle being a bit fatter then focus on bulding muscle for reasons mentioned above.

wantnana
03-10-2003, 10:31 AM
hey thansk for all the help guys but one last question...will cutting during working out prevent muscle growth and in order to counter this should i be eating lots of protein (in the form of shakes) in order to provide nutrients for my muscles?

also would i benefit from taking any supplements, such as an ECA stack? thanks!

wantnana
03-10-2003, 10:43 AM
hey thansk for all the help guys but one last question...will cutting during working out prevent muscle growth and in order to counter this should i be eating lots of protein (in the form of shakes) in order to provide nutrients for my muscles?

also would i benefit from taking any supplements, such as an ECA stack? thanks!

Erbas
03-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Definitely get at least 1 g protein per lb body weight. If you are going to cut, make sure you get a good protein and carb shake immediately post-workout....this will help keep muscle while you're losing weight. Seem like you should focus on adding some mass....the fat will eventually burn off due to a higher metabolism from exra LBM.

Erbas
03-10-2003, 11:00 AM
oh, I usually oonly use ECA's for cutting....they are good for upping the metabolism/cutting appetite
...I don't use them while trying to put on muscle.