PDA

View Full Version : High or Low GI post-workout?

Vido
03-10-2003, 12:39 AM
I was looking at the "Best of WBB" threads in the article section and came across one discussing post-workout nutrition. Now, this was from about 2 years ago, so I was wondering if people's opinions had changed. It said that if you're bulking or already eating a high-carb diet, then having high-GI carbs post-workout isn't necessary because it won't create the same spike as it would if you were on a lower carb diet. I've also read posts of other people on other sites who claim to have great success eating oats after a workout, and who cannot understand what all the hype about high-GI carbs is. From what I've seen on this site, almost everyone seems to be on the dextrose/maltodextrin bandwagon these days, including myself. If one were to choose between dextrose and a big bowl of oatmeal, based on nutritional benefits, I would think most would prefer to go with the bowl of oatmeal. So if this is the case, why do we continue to eat high-GI carbs after we workout?

bradley
03-10-2003, 02:38 AM
This was posted by Maki in another thread but makes a case for high GI carbs postworkout.

http://www.poweringmuscles.com/musclerecovery.asp?article_number=6

Here is another thread on the topic.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21284&highlight=postworkout

body
03-10-2003, 04:47 AM
what did you eat pre-trianing.

I eat like 10 minutes before i start trianing, this will be leaving my digestion as i leave the gym, therefore i am not as like to be catabolic as other people.

its takes like 45 minutes for food to get from mouth to be useful. so why not decrease this problem by eating pre-trianing.

Mystic Eric
03-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Bump for vido

Maki Riddington
03-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Good questiion Vido.

Shankerr
03-14-2003, 08:48 PM
I'l take High for $200, Alex

Mystic Eric
03-15-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
Good questiion Vido.

lol I we're kinda all expecting some sort of an answer from you maki.

body
03-15-2003, 05:45 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7331&perpage=25&highlight=GI&pagenumber=3

a good thread to read

bradley
03-15-2003, 07:58 AM
Body-

What you are saying is that you eat right before heading out to the gym and that way by the time your workout is complete the meal will just begin being absorbed by the small intestine? Does this mean that you use protein and low GI carbs postworkout or do you still use dextorse or malto along with your protein? Good thread by the way.

body
03-16-2003, 10:18 AM
I do not eat high GI after training for this reason. As i have food going into me that is being utilised that I ate pre-trianing.

I personally drink milk, but one of the reasons is covience as well.

Also when i go to the gym say on chest day, I am not burning half as many kcals as I do when i do like 2 hours of martial arts when High GI is going to be more important as i have depleted my energy reserves that bit more.