PDA

View Full Version : cardio question

chachi
03-10-2003, 02:25 PM
i've heard that doing 30min of cardio 5 days a week
will keep bodyfat low.

if i do 10min before i lift and 20min after,
does that contribute to the total 30min.,

or does the 30min need to be all at one time?

thanks.

and one more thing
what percentage of your max heart rate should
i be doing the cardio at?

Vido
03-10-2003, 02:37 PM
Diet is what matters in terms of how much bodyfat you have, not cardio.

The_Blackstar
03-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Cardio is just as important as diet in keeping body fat low..

_-_v_-_
03-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Not necessarily.

SWOLE
03-10-2003, 07:10 PM
maybe not equally important, but important enough.
either way, if you are really into cutting a lot of weight, it is necessary to start a good clean diet and doing cardio. cardio is important because it helps keep your heart rate up and your metabolism up too.
a clean diet is obvious why you need it, no matter what, everyone should be eating a nice clean healthy diet, especially active people.

Celestial
03-10-2003, 09:49 PM
I think cardio is just as important as diet! Although, I eat healthy mostly all the time. But I do eat what I want too...like the cheesecake I had tonight :)

All cardio counts.....but the point is to keep your heart rate up for about 30 mins ....burns fat.

_-_v_-_
03-10-2003, 09:51 PM
:bang:

Everyone:

READ THE HIIT STICKY!

Celestial
03-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
:bang:

Everyone:

READ THE HIIT STICKY! :confused:

Saint Patrick
03-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by chachi
i've heard that doing 30min of cardio 5 days a week
will keep bodyfat low.

To answer the original question, it should be 30 mins of sustained cardio, not 20+10.

New_Guy'02
03-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Ok, this is more of a new auestion rather then a reply, but it's closely realted to this topic. My question is, How long does cardio have to be in order for it to be effective ?

-sin-
03-11-2003, 05:33 AM
You DO NOT have to do 30 minutes of sustained cardio to keep your bodyfat low. When I wrestled our practice was about 3 hours long. In our practices we did 3 rounds of conditioning each about 10 minutes a piece. The rest was drills and live wrestling which is pretty good conditioning as well. It was only 10 minutes or less but it was so intense it felt much longer and when it was over you wanted to puke. Anyway when the season was over I was probably down to 8-9% bodyfat and I had more endurance than the cross-country runners in my P.E. class. But how can that be? I think I may have run 30 minutes once or twice that entire time...

Look at sprinters for example. They are just as lean as the marathon runners and they probably never run more than 400m.

What are you goals anyway just low BF? That amount of running will keep your BF low but it seems like a lot if you are trying to gain lean body mass at the same time.

Erbas
03-11-2003, 07:54 AM
New Guy: most think that over 20 min. Many people do about 30 min to get the cardio fat burn effect and keep it below extended intensities/durations that may enter a more catabolic state. Usually about 65% estimated max heart rate.

HIIT(see above sticky) is definitely something to incorporate if you're looking to increase your fat burn and it changes things up a bit (IMO)....sounds like -Sin- was doing that in wrestling.

bigkevin20
03-11-2003, 08:01 AM
JUST DO HIIT 15 to 20 MIN 3 to 4 TIMES A WEEK AND YOU ARE COOL:thumbup:

aka23
03-11-2003, 10:35 AM

Doing longer sessions of cardio immediately before or after weights may interfere with your goals. Doing cardio before weights may leave you fatigued so that you can not perform to your best while weightlifting. This may hinder your progress. In addition, it is important to refuel your glycogen reserves following a longer cardio session. This helps improve recovery and helps prevent the protein in your muscles being broken down for energy.

I think doing cardio after weightlifting is better than doing it before. However, the cardio may hinder recovery and muscle gains by delaying the postworkout meal and leaving your body in catabolic state. In addition you may not be fatigued and not able to perform your best during the cardio, interfering with cardiovascular improvement. One possible advantage to doing them in a row, is you may burn more fat when doing the cardio since the weightlifting leaves your body with less musclec/liver glycogen.

The best solution depends on your goals, the exercise intesities, and the exercise durations. I would suggest separating longer amounts of cardio from weights by at least a few hours and a meal. It would be even better if you seperated it by 8-12 hours or did it on alternate days. I think a very short cardio warmup/cooldown before/after weights is fine. This helps reduce injury and may improve performance.

Doing one long cardio session and several smaller ones both have their benefits. Both will burn about the same amount of calories during the exercise if they are at the same itensity. If you can do a higher intensity with the two shorter sesssions than the one longer one, then separating them may burn more calories. The longer one would probably burn more fat during the exercise. The longer one would offer additional cardiovascular benefits. The shorter sessions might result in more fat being burned after the exercises; depending on intesities, duration, and type of exercsie. The shorter sessions might not give adaquate time for recovery, especially if you did the same type of cardio during both sessions. I would suggest sticking to one longer session on several days per week.

and one more thing
what percentage of your max heart rate should
i be doing the cardio at?

It depends on your goals. When you do cardio, you burn both fat and glycogen (carbs). When your heart rate is higher, a larger portion of the calories come from glyogen, and a smaller portion from fat. However, more calories are burned overall. More fat may or may not be burned overall due to the larger calories. The maximum amount of fat is usually burned when working out at a challenging intensity you can comfortably manage for the entire duration. For most people this is about 70-75% max heart rate. For some it is significantly more or less.

Burning fat during exercise is not everything. Various cardiovascular benefits occur anywhere from 60-90%. There are some advantages to longer sessions at lower heart rates, and others to shorter sessions at higher rates. In addition interval training with short bursts at very high heart rates is an excellent way to improve cardiovascular fitness and burn fat. I would suggest doing several types of cardio activites at different intesities/durations on different days of the week. This helps improve overall cardiovascular fitness, improve recovery, and reduce chance of injury.

Shao-LiN
03-11-2003, 11:15 AM
I dieted and lifted w/o doing cardio and I dropped BF% just fine. It isn't a necessity, but it will help, not to mention some of the health benefits.