PDA

View Full Version : Oatmeal questions

Manveet
03-10-2003, 07:05 PM
I have a few questions

1) I bought "quick cookig oats" in bulk from the store, is this the right stuff?

2) how much water do I need per 1/2 cup of oatmeal.

3) what kind of consistency should it be. I made it one time and it was kinda slimy. Isn't supposed to be little more clumpy and sticks together?

Thanks.

Vido
03-10-2003, 07:54 PM
The quick cooking oats are higher GI than the slower cooking ones, but I'm pretty sure they are still what most people on this site eat (and are still lower GI than most alternative carb choices).

On my package of oats it says 2/3 cup water for 1/3 cup oats. Just try something along those lines and adjust it so you get the consistency you want.

aka23
03-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Manveet
I have a few questions

1) I bought "quick cookig oats" in bulk from the store, is this the right stuff?

2) how much water do I need per 1/2 cup of oatmeal.

3) what kind of consistency should it be. I made it one time and it was kinda slimy. Isn't supposed to be little more clumpy and sticks together?

Thanks.

I buy bulk supermarket oats. I usually pick the least expensive brand. I use the following formula with my quick cooking oats.

Regular Serving
1.55 oz oats (about a half cup)
1 cup water
2 min 40 seconds with 800 Watt microwave (or until expands)

Large Serving
2 oz oats
1 1/3 cup water
3 min with 800 Watt microwave (or until expands)

I have found that weight type measures of the oats give better consistency than volume measurements. This probably occurs because different brands of oats have different densities.

I have found that oatmeal has a better consistency when cooked for longer times in a low watt microwave. If you are using a high power microwave (1000-1200 watt), you might want to try cooking oats at less than max power.

I do not like "slimy" oats. I prefer mine to be thicker. You can use longer cooking times or less water to make it thicker. You can use shorter cooking times or more water to make it thinner. I suggest trying different thicknesses and seeing which you like best.

PaulB
03-28-2003, 11:47 PM
i looked at the back of an oatmeal thingy the other day and it didnt have that good of stats i didnt think. are we supposed to eat them for carbs or something? im a complete loss on the oats. had like zilch for protein and near nothing for calories. beyond the realm of "1.5gr protein per bw lb" im lost. help!

Vido
03-29-2003, 12:01 AM
Oats are a good source of low GI carbs. You should try to get most of your carbs from sources such as oats, brown rice, yams, and vegetables.

PaulB
03-29-2003, 12:09 AM
lets say i intake around 2000 calories a day, how many of them calories should be from low GI carbs?

p.s. whats the "GI" part mean?

Vido
03-29-2003, 12:22 AM
This will depend on the way you intend to break your macronutrients down Paul. Let's take the most basic example breakdown, 33/33/33. This means you get 1/3 of your calories from each macronutient, so about 667 cals of each. 667 cals of carbs, at 4 cals/gram of carbs, is approximately 165 grams of carbs. You should get as many of these 165 grams from low GI sources.

GI stands for glycemic index. Here is a link that will explain what it means better than I could:

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

AdamGberg
03-29-2003, 01:35 AM
do u guys mix anything into the oates after u cook them? just curious...

Vido
03-29-2003, 01:45 AM
I haven't been mixing anything in them recently. Although in the past, I've mixed whey, natty pb, flax oil, and various types of fruit (bananas, blueberries, strawberries). I would say the best-tasting combos are oats+chocolate whey+either flax, natty pb, or banana.

Pup
03-30-2003, 06:58 AM
a couple tsp of brown sugar also goes nice with oats

RG570
04-02-2003, 07:39 AM
I like honey and/or raisins in oats. I usually put the honey on the oats before i microwave them and the raisins after. I'll try peanut butter later today.

AdamGberg
04-03-2003, 09:42 AM
ugh....i just bought some instant oates...threw them in the microwave then down my throat...they were disgusting!!!!!! i tried adding PB and i even added some jelly.

two thumbs down!

i will stick to the kinds that come in little packets with flavors already added in, like baked apple and stuff...

GhettoSmurf
04-03-2003, 12:03 PM
regular oats would be the way to go IMO the only reason you like the packets of flavored oatmeal is becuase it contains sugar - unlike the regular oats.

have you tried adding somthing like equal, or splenda to your regular oats?

Vido
04-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Adding sugar or honey or eating the flavoured packaged oats kind of defeats the purpose of eating something healthy in the first place.

AJ_11
04-17-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Vido
Adding sugar or honey or eating the flavoured packaged oats kind of defeats the purpose of eating something healthy in the first place.

Actually honey is healthy. Although a bit higher on the GI, it is a powerful anti-oxident with many benefits. Suger in the other hand, well thats another story.

Manveet
04-21-2003, 12:31 PM
I have another question.

Do any of you mix raw oats into your protein shakes. I've been doin this for the last little while and it works great. Does it make a difference with digestion/absorption if the oats are not cooked?

AJ_11
04-21-2003, 03:46 PM
I like it that way as well, but heard some of the fibre get broken down further upon cooking.

GhettoSmurf
04-24-2003, 07:17 AM
i always mix raw oats in my MRP. As for what it does to the oats nutritionaly i dont know. But i dont think it could be anything too detrimental

Behemoth
04-26-2003, 04:59 PM
It took me forever to figure out how to make my oats taste good and keep them healthy. How I cook 'em is I put the oats in the bowl and then add hot water to it, just enough so that all of the oats are barely saturated (not so much as you can see puddles of water or really any water). Then I cook them for 1:30 and this makes them very clumped and not slimy. I take my spoon and sorta slice 'em up into bites and a little bit of milk on them, this cools them real quick and makes them even clumpier (thas how I like em:thumbup: ). Then I put a sprinkle of ground cinamin and a sprinkle of splenda on them, mix them around... and enjoy:thumbup: