PDA

View Full Version : Diet Disaster

MJ23
03-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Alright guys, i need some major guidance.

I love to work out. I am by no means lazy...but my diet lags BIG TIME. I can be good for about a week or two...( good means, eating a high fiber diet, lots of fruits and veggies, protein, low fat and lots of water) work out 5-6 dfays a week....and then all of a sudden ill hit the wall.

I'll consume 2x maybe 3x more than required in a day...and continue that for 2 -3 days..unitl i snap out of it and have to start from square one all ove ragain!!!

this is why i cant make any long term gains!! Ive thought of taking a supplement (ECA stacK) to give me a boost) but i know i need to fix my diet problem...

ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO STOP DIGGING A HOLE and getting a kick ass body that'll stay for good???

bradley
03-11-2003, 03:05 AM
First thing is to find a diet that is not too restrictive and that you can stick with. Plan out your meals each week so you don't get stuck having to eat fast food or vending machine food. MAybe one day a week have a cheat meal and let that be it for the week, but don't turn it into a binge fest. What is your weight and bf% at the moment? What does your diet look like?

Ironman8
03-11-2003, 07:35 AM
MJ23, you're working too hard. You body is telling you that you need more food due to your workout. Try excercising 3 days a week. Stick to a high fiber diet. Give your body a rest after a hard workout.

Relentless
03-11-2003, 07:39 AM
low fat may be the issue

the more I read in the Keto books, the more I'm convinced too much carbs is not a good thing

maybe if you got some EFAs (flax oil, etc.) it'd help keep you feeling sated and you'd be less likely to binge

MJ23
03-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reply guys,

My weight at the moment is 134...but the sad part is that my bf is 26%!

A typical day for me is this:

breakfast: 1c all bran flakes, 1 c skim milk, 1 banana
lunch: veggie sandwich (cucs, tom, lett, spinach) and 1/2 cottage cheese
mid afternoon: 1/2 a cup of tea or coffee and a granola bar
dinner: high protein (tuna or eggs)

Planning out my food is a good idea. I know what to eat..i just have a huge sweet tooth, which sucks!!

What's your guys' take on teh ECA supplements?

raniali
03-11-2003, 10:59 AM
i think with ur poor diet i would be binging as well

besides the small fact you are lacking any significant amount of protein or fat, you are LACKING CALORIES. i know you are trying to lose weight - but you are basically starving yourself and that NEVER works -- EVER -- to achieve the body you want.

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:13 AM
im starving myself...REALLY???

how much should i be consuming? I try to stay within 12-1500 a day... what do you think i should be consuming?

bradley
03-11-2003, 11:16 AM
What are your goals? Are you trying to lose or gain. I know you said you had been trying to lose but at 134lbs. you can't have much to lose. What is your height?

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:18 AM
OMG...does it help to say that I am female!

Im almost 5'7. My weight, according to the scale, is irrelevant...its my bf of 26% that i want to change!

bradley
03-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by MJ23
OMG...does it help to say that I am female!

Im almost 5'7. My weight, according to the scale, is irrelevant...its my bf of 26% that i want to change!

Sorry I assumed you were a male but that does make more sense.

I agree with Callahan in that you are probably neglecting fat too much along with cals being too low. Try to eat more of a balanced diet and get some fat from healthy sources like nuts, natty peanut butter, flax/fish oil. Get protein from lean sources like lean beef, chicken, eggs/egg whites, dairy. Stick to low GI carbs throughout the day. I would also recommend eating 5-6 meals a day.

Might want to check out carolinagirl's journal in the journal forum to get an idea of what a typical diet looks like for her.

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:26 AM
You guys are great! Thank you for the prompt replies.

I have mainly a vegetarian diet, however i do eat eggs and occasional Tuna. No red meat!

What are some low GI carbs?

bradley
03-11-2003, 11:32 AM
You guys are great! Thank you for the prompt replies.

I have mainly a vegetarian diet, however i do eat eggs and occasional Tuna. No red meat!

What are some low GI carbs?

veggies, oats, sweet potatoes, beans, ww bread, ww pasta, etc. Usually the more natural it is the better (although there are exceptions).

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:34 AM
What about daily caloric intake?

bradley
03-11-2003, 11:39 AM
I would say keep it around 1600-1800 and adjust that so that you are losing a small amount each week. Approx. a pound a week would be ideal. Adjust this total up or down in small increments each week until you start seeing results. Just don't make any drastic changes, as this is a trial and error process.

AJ_11
03-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, WW Bread, any vegetable. Also you should get more fat in your diet, you don't have to eat read meat if you choose not to put some salmon is an excellent choice along with some flax, walnuts, PB.

Eat more meals and smaller amounts that may help you out. Also have a planned cheat day. That way stick to your diet untill that day and only make it a cheat meal. It's good for the mind and body too.

raniali
03-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Great timing -- I JUST got this article as part of a weekly fitness letter. It's basic, but still might be useful.

+++++++++++++++++++

Why Binges Take Place
by Karen Sessions

Most people interested in losing weight will drastically drop their
calories. For some, 1500 calories a day is a decent number, for
others this is extremely low. However, many fad diets and diet
clinics will dip far below the maintenance caloric level, and in turn,
put the body in starvation defense mode. Individuals who
drastically cut calories below 1500, or their caloric maintenance
level, frequently develop binging habits. At least half the
individuals that regularly diet, including fad diets, take active
binges. This is the reason to take a designated cheat day once a
week, to convince the body that it is not starving, and to set the m
etabolism in motion again.

A binge is not necessarily a form of weakness or will power, but
rather it is associated with an imbalance correlated with a
low-caloric diet. Not only does a low calorie diet put the body in a
starvation defense, but it also affects the thyroid by, slowing
down the metabolism, in turn, storing more fat. The body's
defense in correcting the imbalanced thyroid takes place through
binges, which makes the thyroid active once again. After a binge
an excess amount of calories has been ingested, and out of guilt
and punishment, the individual starves himself again. This type
of behavior is a form of yo-yo dieting and leads to weight gain.

To combat binges, take control over your eating habits. This is
where will power and focus take place. You must supply your
body with fuel to function. A binge is not a sign of weakness, but
is a result of a disruption in the thyroid. Allow yourself the
maintenance number of calories a day for your body, and grant
yourself a cheat day to keep the thyroid and metabolism active
and functioning properly. Starving yourself will not result in
weight loss, but eating right will.

Effective Tips and Techniques to Gain Control

1. Always eat breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal
of the day because it sets your metabolism for the day, and
makes the body start burning calories. Eating breakfast,
complete with complex carbohydrates and protein will prevent a
binge later in the afternoon or evening.

2. Keep your last meal an hour before bed, preferably a
serving of protein and a serving of vegetables, to keep insulin
levels low. High calories and/or excessive starchy complex
carbohydrates have a greater chance to be stored as fat, as well
as prompt midnight cravings.

3. Eat 5 to 6 meals a day, spaced evenly out. Constant small
meals, prevent hunger and decreases carbohydrate and sugar
cravings. Smaller, more frequent meals will keep you full, and
convince your body that it is not starving. Constant feeding will
prevent binges.

4. Have a serving of protein and a serving of carbohydrates with
each meal. The added protein will keep your insulin from
shooting sky high. Consistent levels of increased insulin are
linked with binges, due to the carbohydrate cravings it causes.

5. Rotate your carbohydrates to manipulate your body, and to
keep your metabolism working for you. The carbohydrate rotation
method will help curb binges since it allows the body to feast on
carbohydrates to a certain extent, yet not to where will be storing
them as fat.

6. Increase good fat intake such as nuts, natural peanut butter,
olive oil, flaxseed oil, etc. The added natural fat will help blunt
binges because it provides the body essential elements to keep
things in balance.

7. Increase your water intake. Water is an important nutrient for
proper body functions, as well as a natural appetite suppressant.
More water in equals more water out.

Note: Karen Sessions is the author of two new e-books:

aka23
03-11-2003, 03:04 PM
breakfast: 1c all bran flakes, 1 c skim milk, 1 banana
lunch: veggie sandwich (cucs, tom, lett, spinach) and 1/2 cottage cheese
mid afternoon: 1/2 a cup of tea or coffee and a granola bar
dinner: high protein (tuna or eggs)

I am assuming that the tuna dinner is just a can, the veggie sandwich is about 250 calories, the granola bar is a common 100 calorie bar, and the cottage cheese is 1/2cup.

With these assumptions, this diet only has about 1000 calories. It is about 45-50% carb, 30-35% protein, and 15-20% fat. These macronutrient percentages are fine for a woman on a low cal diet (I would have different recommendations for a man on a high cal diet). Unfortunately this diet is probably deficient in many common nutrients because of the low calories. Specifically it is probably deficient in Fiber, Vitamin D, Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium, Folate, and Vitamin C. There may also be problems with Protein and Vitamin A.

Are you also lifting weights or doing cardio on a regular basis? Do you gain weight on this type of diet? I would suggest entering your diet at a site like fitday.com and getting a more accurate estimate of your nutrients. You may want to track your calories on a day by day basis until you find a level that keeps your weight stable.

I supect you need more calories than appear in the foods you have listed above. A woman your size typically needs between 1500 and 2500 calories, depending on metabolism and activity level. This difference in calories probably contributes to your hunger and need to binge. Your body may have adapted to the low calorie intake and become more effcient or broken down muscle for energy. So you may need less calories than most women to keep your weight stable. You can up your metabolism by doing cardio, lifting weights, eating a large number of small meals, and eating a balanced diet with an adeqauate amount of calories.

As I mentioned earlier your diet is probably deficient in many nutrients. You can get more of these nutrients by adding another serving of dairy, eating more cruciferous green vegatables like broccoli, and eating another serving of whole grains. You may also wish to have a mulitvitamin/mineral. In addition I would suggest eating both protein & carbs at every meal (including dinner).

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys. I usually keep track of the calories i eat and it ranges from 1500-1600.
I know how to eat healthy...for the most part, i just hate bland tasting food so thats why i turn to baked goods, cookies, and icecream.

ANyone know any real good tasting meals...that are quick to prepare??

My workout regime consists of cardio 5-6 days/wk (30-45 mins)
For weights i do PUSH and PULL days...
Push..chest, leg press, tricep press, shoulder press
PULL..hamstring curl, bicep curl, lat pulldown, abs

Some days i skip out on weights and do 50 mins cardio. This leads to my next question. I usually cant spare more than an hour in the gym. To lose weight and to give my metabolism a kick start should i focus on weights or longer cardio sessions??

AJ_11
03-11-2003, 11:18 PM
Some days i skip out on weights and do 50 mins cardio.
:eek: tuttut

To lose weight and to give my metabolism a kick start should i focus on weights or longer cardio sessions??

Weights over cardio. It should be number 1 for you metabolisim and lbm preservation. Try to split up weights and cardio on seperate days if you can only spare an hour. Weights burn more calories in the end as well as focus on building muscle and losing fat.

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:21 PM
OK...so how should i break it down..cardio and weights?

MJ23
03-11-2003, 11:23 PM
ideally i would love to do 45 mins cardio and weights...but that would require a good 2 hrs in the gym. Thats too much for me to spare.

Maybe i should break down my PUSH PULL days and not train so many muscles groups each day?

bradley
03-12-2003, 02:47 AM
I would say that training with weights 3-4 days a week would be plenty and then perform the cardio on off days, and yes a push/pull/legs would be a good alternative to your current routine.

Might want to post the question in the training forum and see what they recommend. They will be happy to help, I am sure:)

Ironman8
03-12-2003, 07:38 AM
Ya, cardio on off days and weights 3-4 days is a good plan.