PDA

View Full Version : i need more protien

syclone2659
03-11-2003, 04:12 AM
what is the best way to get at least 300- 400 g of protien a day, also 3000-4000 cals. my work hours are 8pm to 4am mon -fri, and i go to bed at 6 am and wake up aroung 2pm and then go lift. im not getting enough protien, im prob averaging 100- 160 a day right now at best, and that including nitro tech 2-3 a day and eating alot of meats.

SoulOfKoRea
03-11-2003, 04:21 AM
300-400 is kinda pushing it isn't it? depending on your weight, 100-160 a day sounds ok, just pile on some more food or drink some shakes, just don't overdo it because your kidneys can get damaged from too much excess

Mystic Eric
03-11-2003, 04:29 AM
syclone, what are your goals? how much do you weigh and why do you think that you need 400 grams of protein a day?

If you're 150 pounds, 160 grams of protein a day isn't bad. But if you're 200 pounds, that's a different story.

syclone2659
03-11-2003, 04:30 AM
well i at least want 200-250, because im going to do my first cycle and i want to do it right, and keep my gains

syclone2659
03-11-2003, 04:31 AM
i weigh 195 right now and i want to get to about 225

Mystic Eric
03-11-2003, 04:49 AM
Sorry guy, but if you don't know how to eat properly, you shouldn't be doing a cycle. Learn how to eat properly first!

bradley
03-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Just divide your protein intake over 6 meals and eat abuot every 2-3 hours. You can use shakes, MRP's, and protein bars to help fill in the gaps but I would try to get at least 3 whole food meals in. It is not that difficult.

I agree with Mystic Eric in that diet needs to be under control before you start a cycle.

Ironman8
03-11-2003, 07:30 AM
You can also eat a big bowl of cereal in the morning. Also add a grilled cheese sandwhich to that.

Shao-LiN
03-11-2003, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't recommend jumping into a cycle if you don't know how to develop a diet. Either way, I just say stick to the basics first before you move on.

SteveC
03-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Big bowl or cereal and grilled cheese sandwich?????? The guy wants more protein not sugar and butter.

An easy way to add a LOT more protein to your diet is to start eating cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, and peanut butter. You can ALMOST eat cottage cheese with everything, so you should eat about 1 cup with every meal....it has almost no carbs and you can get low fat if you want. Hard boiled eggs are super easy to make and you should be able to down about 5 of those at a time, maybe 1 whole and 5 whites. Depending on whether you are on a high or low fat diet, you can either eat peanut butter whenever you want - or - pre and post workout respectively.

You add those 3 foods in and your protein intake will soar.

raniali
03-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SteveC
You can ALMOST eat cottage cheese with everything, so you should eat about 1 cup with every meal....

i can barely eat cottage cheez 3 times a year. part of consuming more protein is keeping it down ... eating curdled milk with every meal would make be seriously ill.

MrWebb78
03-11-2003, 01:49 PM
syclone what do you do for work? with those hours it sounds like you are in a labor position. in which case more complex carbs would probably be more beneficial than more protein.

if you take nitro tech 2-3 times(40-60 grms protein), and still only end up at 160 a day, youre not eating alot of meat.

at any rate protein alone is not the answer, if youre about 200 lbs then you only about 200 grms, up your caloric intake with EFA's and starches. see if that helps

SteveC
03-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Don't diss the cottage cheese, cottage cheese is awesome!

AstronautJones
03-11-2003, 03:00 PM
You definitely don't need a cycle to make the gains you're looking for. I went from 165 lbs. to 230 lbs. just from eating and lifting like a madman.

It is all about diet. Period.

raniali
03-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by AstronautJones

It is all about diet. Period.

it has taken me over 6 yrs to realize that small fact.

and at the same time, it has saved me a lot of money since i have completely minimized my supplement cache.

bradley
03-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Depending on whether you are on a high or low fat diet, you can either eat peanut butter whenever you want - or - pre and post workout respectively.

Peanut butter postworkout would not be ideal IMO. I would stick to high GI carbs and a quick digesting protein and keep fat at a minimum.

SteveC
03-11-2003, 06:19 PM
I guess I should have clarified that better. I didn't mean PB in place of what you are using postworkout (protein shake, dextrose, whatever), I meant in addition to the real food you eat postworkout. For example, you finish your workout, take your shake, get home and eat chicken, well eat PB with it then.

By the way, what's up with just about everyone on this board being anti fat and pro HIGH AMOUNTS of carbs in their diet? Some people have even said on other threads that they eat more carbs than protein, what's up with that?

Mic Soloist
03-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by raniali

i can barely eat cottage cheez 3 times a year. part of consuming more protein is keeping it down ... eating curdled milk with every meal would make be seriously ill.

_-_v_-_
03-11-2003, 07:25 PM
By the way, what's up with just about everyone on this board being anti fat and pro HIGH AMOUNTS of carbs in their diet? Some people have even said on other threads that they eat more carbs than protein, what's up with that?

What have you been reading?

Berserker
03-11-2003, 10:00 PM
Eating lots of meat sounds good to me. Also chicken and tuna. Cottage cheese is good. PB is good but has alot of carbs and fats, even though its good fat, I don't think its an efficient way to get your protein. Makes a good snack and adds some flavor.
By the way I am near Marinette.

bradley
03-12-2003, 02:42 AM

I haven't seen anyone recommending this type of macrobreakdown:confused:

syclone2659
03-12-2003, 03:52 AM
ok ive got it all figured out now, today i got 228 g protien, which is great. and it wasnt that hard. thank you for all the advise guys

Mystic Eric
03-12-2003, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by raniali

ugh, I know what you mean. I tried eating cottage cheese a few years ago and I felt like barfing.

Vido eats like 2 tubs of cottage cheese a day!! :eek:

aka23
03-12-2003, 09:39 AM
Some people have even said on other threads that they eat more carbs than protein, what's up with that?

In my opinion eating more protein than carbs does not offer any special benefits in terms of building muscle and may have negative consequenses on your health. Researchers who study the needs of protein for bodybuilders and other athletes usually find no additional muscle gains when consuming more than 1g/lb protein (unless they are on steroids). Most studies of amateur weightlifters that I have seen show no muscle gain benefits when consuming more than 0.7g/lb. The extra protein gets used as fuel or gets stored as fat. It does not increase muscle gains.

Most of these researchers and sports nutritionists recommend that athletes trying to build muscle consume 0.7-1.0g protein per lb. They put an upper limit because there are negative consequenses associated with very high levels of protein. 1g/lb works usually works out to 20-35% of calories from protein. (24% in 150lb male eating 2500 cal, 27% in 200lb male eating 3000 cal, 32% in 200lb male eating 2500 cal). Persons eating 20-35% of calories protein would probably be eating more carbs than protein. A typical diet following this protein recommendation would include 40-60% Carb / 20-35% Protein / 15-30% Fat

References:

Lemon, P.W., et al., Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. J Appl Physiol, 1992. 73(2): p. 767-775.

Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O., Do Regular High Protein Diets Have Potential Health Risks on Kidney Function in Athletes. Int J Sport Nutr, 2000 Mar;10(1):28-38

http://www.power-nutrition.com/healthy%20eating/amino.html

AdamGberg
03-12-2003, 10:07 AM
TUNA

SteveC
03-12-2003, 10:45 PM
aka23, I know you got that from a study and all, but as anyone who has lifted seriously with the intent of bbing knows from trial and error if nothing else, it's VERY VERY hard to grow muscle when you're only eating .7g/lb bodyweight protein. You may get up to "average" size, like a 5'10" person getting up to 190lbs or something, but that just won't cut it when you want to put on serious muscle mass, unless it's fat your after. This guy wants to eat more protein and he should. Go 50% protein and then do whatever the hell you want with the other 50% cause you guys on here seem to think a high fat diet is out of the question. I'm done trying to argue that point with you guys.

_-_v_-_
03-12-2003, 11:15 PM
You're done?

You've made TWO posts; and you have NINE total posts.

Did you ever even start arguing?

SteveC
03-13-2003, 12:18 AM
I'm just waisting my time here anyway, the large majority of you guys are beginners who weigh less than 160lbs. I have nothing against beginners, we all gotta start from somewhere, but posts like this where someone is gonna argue that you should eat more carbs than protein or a post that asks if its good to do pushups everyday or if a turkey sandwich is a good meal just try my patience too much. Sorry for waisting your time. Muscle Mayhem is a lot better.

Alex.V
03-13-2003, 12:25 AM
aka23, I know you got that from a study and all, but as anyone who has lifted seriously with the intent of bbing knows from trial and error if nothing else, it's VERY VERY hard to grow muscle when you're only eating .7g/lb bodyweight protein. You may get up to "average" size, like a 5'10" person getting up to 190lbs or something, but that just won't cut it when you want to put on serious muscle mass, unless it's fat your after. This guy wants to eat more protein and he should. Go 50% protein and then do whatever the hell you want with the other 50% cause you guys on here seem to think a high fat diet is out of the question. I'm done trying to argue that point with you guys.

50% protein is a huge waste. Nobody needs that much on a bulking diet. I eat around 30% protein, and that's almost 400 grams a day.

Vido
03-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

ugh, I know what you mean. I tried eating cottage cheese a few years ago and I felt like barfing.

Vido eats like 2 tubs of cottage cheese a day!! :eek:

In the process of finishing my 3rd tub of the day right now! mmmmmmmmmmmm Yummy!

_-_v_-_
03-13-2003, 08:26 AM
Yeah. Everyone on here is a 160lb beginner.

*cough*belialRANIALImonstarpowermanchrismasonpaulstagghomeyieldectxworkhourscallahanblood&ironetc...*cough*

raniali
03-13-2003, 09:44 AM
you forgot me on that list :(

_-_v_-_
03-13-2003, 10:50 AM
No, I didn't.

See :)

(Much apologies, Ran. Was not intentional)

raniali
03-13-2003, 11:05 AM
:D
bad me - how could i have overlooked the obvious!?

Shankerr
03-13-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
Yeah. Everyone on here is a 160lb beginner.

*cough*belialRANIALImonstarpowermanchrismasonpaulstagghomeyieldectxworkhourscallahanblood&ironetc...*cough*

Why the christ aren't I on this list *sniff* :(

Shankerr
03-13-2003, 11:11 AM
ps.

Chicken, tuna, eggs, beef, cottage cheese, shakes, etc are all good options to up your protein count. Unless you're training to compete, then 400 a day might be a tad much. Take your bodyweight, multiply by 1 to 1.5, and thats how many grams you should be eating.

Shankerr
03-13-2003, 11:12 AM
pps. I always thought Powerman was like 180lbs.? I guess that still qualifies as over 160 though :D