PDA

View Full Version : Ketostix yeilding negative results

RobRob
03-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Why do my Ketosix not change color when I test them? No matter how long I go carb-free, they still yeild negative results. Once I've read that aspartame knocks people out of ketosis, is this true or could there be another reason? Or as long as I'm seeing results should I not worry about what the Ketostix say? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

raniali
03-11-2003, 04:31 PM
there are several reasons why it might be negative:
1. you are not in ketosis
2. urine is too dilute
3. ur body has become super-efficient and not producing enough to change the indicator

aspartame, in large amounts, has been known to kick people out of ketosis. how much are you consuming from sodas and whatnot daily? i found that the longer i followed a ketogenic diet, the less likely i was to show on the ketostix. it got to the point, that it was ALWAYS negative even when i was deep into keto-land. however, i had keto-smelling pee. do u get a metallic taste in ur mouth or does your urine smell metalish?? my mental acuity got really sharp when i made the switch to keto every week. i just KNEW if i was in keto or not and didn't need the sticks anymore.

scott7260
03-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Could be many things. If you drink a lot of water, urine could be diluted. Not enough fat in your diet.

RobRob
03-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by raniali
there are several reasons why it might be negative:
1. you are not in ketosis
2. urine is too dilute
3. ur body has become super-efficient and not producing enough to change the indicator

aspartame, in large amounts, has been known to kick people out of ketosis. how much are you consuming from sodas and whatnot daily? i found that the longer i followed a ketogenic diet, the less likely i was to show on the ketostix. it got to the point, that it was ALWAYS negative even when i was deep into keto-land. however, i had keto-smelling pee. do u get a metallic taste in ur mouth or does your urine smell metalish?? my mental acuity got really sharp when i made the switch to keto every week. i just KNEW if i was in keto or not and didn't need the sticks anymore.

Wow thanks for that post. I don't consume alot of sugar substitute a day, couple glasses of diet soda if any. I've been doing Keto on and off for 3 years now, since I was 16. This is the first time I've ever tried the strips. After carbup, I feel like I'm in ketosis in 36 hours. My breath and piss both stink after those 36 and I feel like I'm in Ketosis....actually I know I am cuz I've done it soo many times, and it works amazing. But I don't understand what you mean by super efficient?? Does your body use every last ketone instead of wasting it? O i also drink about a gallon of water a day. Thanks again for the great post, I feel more at ease that everything is going right, even tho the stix say otherwise.:)

RobRob
03-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by scott7260
Could be many things. If you drink a lot of water, urine could be diluted. Not enough fat in your diet.

I drink a gallon a day, is that too much?

bradley
03-11-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by RobRob

I drink a gallon a day, is that too much?

No that is fine. Just means that the ketones are so diluted that the Ketostix are not giving accurate readings. Sounds like you don't really need the ketostix seeing as how you have performed the diet for so long.

raniali
03-11-2003, 05:12 PM
:withstupi

don't waste your money on the stixs
continue drinking water like it's going out of style - - this is extremely important on keto diets in order to flush the kidneys
i am surprised it takes 36 hrs for u to return to keto especially because you have been doing this diet for so long, but i guess that is about right.
and - personally - i think your body does use every last ketone (or close to it). it knows what it needs to do to get by and wouldn't waste precious resources converting fats if it didn't need to.

RobRob
03-11-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by raniali
:withstupi

don't waste your money on the stixs
continue drinking water like it's going out of style - - this is extremely important on keto diets in order to flush the kidneys
i am surprised it takes 36 hrs for u to return to keto especially because you have been doing this diet for so long, but i guess that is about right.
and - personally - i think your body does use every last ketone (or close to it). it knows what it needs to do to get by and wouldn't waste precious resources converting fats if it didn't need to.

Thanks. I think it takes so long cuz my carb up is rediculous. I don't take into account GI and all that wonderful stuff like I'm supposed to, I just house food. I figure it still works for me so why not indulge one day a week :D . Thanks for all your help guys, I didn't get a single response on another forum which shall remain nameless :p

raniali
03-11-2003, 05:41 PM
if you dont know by now - there are NO substitutes for wbb

after all, I am here. :p

RobRob
03-11-2003, 09:21 PM
lol, oo I forgot I have one more question...
The reason I got the stix was to assess my carb tolerance. I'm 19, 215, 6'1 at 10% bf. Anyone have any guesses :)

scott7260
03-11-2003, 09:25 PM
When you go under 10%, you should be getting 2 refeeds a week.

RobRob
03-11-2003, 09:29 PM
What?! I've gone down to 7 doing it this way before, why two refeeds??

raniali
03-12-2003, 10:45 AM
dude - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

i have no idea what your carb tolerance would be.